Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
And while I'm at it - what about the Kashi GoLean cereal? Seems like a decent amount or protein mixed in with all those carbs...
That's still got too much sugar in it for me. The only Kashi cereal I eat is the seven grain unsweetened stuff. It's surprisingly tasty, even without all that sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Re frozen meals: most are really high in sodium, but if you look very closely, there are some winners with minimal ingredients. I really like Kettle Cuisines, and some of the Trader Joes and Whole Foods brand ones. Kashi are OK, but have loads of fake ingredients. They are the last resort.
I like to have a few around, just for when I'm lazy, but I rarely eat a frozen dinner more than once every two weeks. I'll have to try Kettle Cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Thanks for the response, I am starting to agree with you. Those twigs don't even taste all that good (I slice a banana in, more carbs!). I love eggs, if I let myself I would eat 10 a day. Perhaps I'll start with 2...

This has been a very informative thread, after reading it I am going to make a few tweaks to my diet - try and work in some greek yoghurt, berries, oatmeal, salmon, spinach, nuts, and eggs! (and a protein shake)
So I bought all of the above at Whole Foods last night - eating healthy is not cheap! I spent around $50 and that was mainly sticking to the store brand.

I went for the WF brand steel cut oats, cooked them with 1% milk, added raisins, walnuts and raw sugar. Delicious! A little high in calories (375), and not a ton of protein but I figure I can make the protein up later with eggs for lunch and chicken for dinner.

But my favorite thing I bought was the Greek yoghurt - I had never tried it before because it sounds disgusting. But I mixed in a frozen berry medley and it was really good! I don't need ice cream any more.

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison8100 View Post
According to recent research, water and green tea is the best way to lose your weight. I took 8 to 12 glasses of water gradually and 2 to 3 times cup of tea in a day. And now i feel much difference in my weight.
Oh yes, I always drink 2 glasses of water with my macaroni and cheese and bacon dinner, with a piece of toast with butter, and a slice of ham with applesauce, and (of course) my salad.

And then another 2 glasses of water with my potroast and yummy thick gravy and mashed potatoes with sour cream and (of course) my salad.

When it's time for dessert, nothing goes better with my cherry cheesecake with hot fudge sauce than a cup of green tea.

Strangely though, I gained 10 pounds. How can that POSSIBLY be? I drank all that water and green tea, but I gained weight! Maybe I just need another cup of green tea. I think I'll use it to dunk my twinkies.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oh yes, I always drink 2 glasses of water with my macaroni and cheese and bacon dinner, with a piece of toast with butter, and a slice of ham with applesauce, and (of course) my salad.

And then another 2 glasses of water with my potroast and yummy thick gravy and mashed potatoes with sour cream and (of course) my salad.

When it's time for dessert, nothing goes better with my cherry cheesecake with hot fudge sauce than a cup of green tea.

Strangely though, I gained 10 pounds. How can that POSSIBLY be? I drank all that water and green tea, but I gained weight! Maybe I just need another cup of green tea. I think I'll use it to dunk my twinkies.

This made me laugh right out loud!! At first I thought " What in the world are they doing??!!" lol

Saucy...you don't have to shop at Whole Foods...you can find good quality organic ( if you need to buy organic) at most major supermarkets.

Steel cut oatmeal is awesome and you can find it in just about any grocery store...no need to buy it WFs. Have a hard boiled egg along with it..just eat a smaller portion of oatmeal...and have a piece of fruit as well. That breakfast will keep you going all morning long!!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM

17,355 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

People handle saturated fat differently, if it's a problem for you then obviously eggs are a problem for you.
If you want to limit the amount of saturated fat in your diet, you could eat egg white omelets instead of whole eggs.

In fact, I'm having an egg white omelet with mushrooms, spinach and a pinch of cheese along with a side of fresh strawberries for breakfast today.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 AM

17,355 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QTPie View Post
Anyone else have this issue? I eat right, exercise, and still unable to lose weight. Is anyone else struggling with their weight loss?
Yes, this has happened to me too. I eat healthy, exercise regularly and suddenly I hit a wall where no more weight will come off.

Yanking most of the starchy/sugary carbs out of your diet should help to get the ball rolling again.

I'm really experimenting with my cooking this time around and I'm finding that can have lots of filling "forbidden" foods - like eggplant parmesan. I just need to lighten up the way I prepare it.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM

326 posts, read 703,987 times
I would recommend finding farmer's markets for produce as opposed to supermarkets or even whole foods. The price is really not that much higher or even cheaper in many cases. And the quality of the product is much much better

Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
One thing I can really recommend Whole Foods for is it's frozen veggies. If I'm feeling INCREDIBLY lazy, I can take some WF frozen leafy greens or straight frozen kale, toss in a frozen garlic cube (these are actually life savers - I hate peeling garlic so it's perfect when I only need 1 clove), squeeze a little lemon/balsamic/etc, and nuke it. That's good on it's own for a size or a snack, but I also can make it a meal by tossing in half a cup of chickpeas or cannalini beans, poaching an egg, or putting in any protein from leftovers.

I find most typical grocery store frozen greens come in a solid block of ice or they get too slimy once cooked (which make them excellent for casseroles, but not much else).

Of course, fresh is better, but I find that I have a hard time eating through a whole bunch of fresh kale, even if I eat it for every dinner! Frozen also takes up less space, which is great if space is at a premium (as it is with me and my housemates!).

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yes, this has happened to me too. I eat healthy, exercise regularly and suddenly I hit a wall where no more weight will come off.

Yanking most of the starchy/sugary carbs out of your diet should help to get the ball rolling again.

I'm really experimenting with my cooking this time around and I'm finding that can have lots of filling "forbidden" foods - like eggplant parmesan. I just need to lighten up the way I prepare it.
Write down everything you eat and drink, every single morsel, for two weeks. Make sure you include a calorie count for everything. Write down all your exercise. How long you exercised. Did you get your heart rate up? How long?

The reason you are not losing weight will become abundantly clear.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Of course, fresh is better, but I find that I have a hard time eating through a whole bunch of fresh kale, even if I eat it for every dinner! Frozen also takes up less space, which is great if space is at a premium (as it is with me and my housemates!).
I must eat ginomous portions of kale. For me 1 bunch = 2-3 meals. I usually just cook whatever I feel like at the time, and freeze the freshly washed greens if I have too many. They come out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss