Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM

70 posts, read 46,195 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about it? Any safety issues, concerns...etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Lots of issues depending on your health and how long you fast. Speak to a Dr. before doing something drastic.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Fasting for 24 hours would certainly do no harm, unless your health is already compromised by a grave conditionand you have been placed on rigid dietary restrictions.

Considering that it costs a hundred bucks to speak to your doctor (not even counting the lab tests he would order), and he can get you a week from next Tuesday, and you'd have to take a half a day off work to speak to him, I'd just go ahead and fast.

The human body did not evolve to regard a growling stomach as something "drastic".

But for you own peace of mind, if you're worried, start out by skipping lunch or supper, see how it goes, and proceed from there.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
People fast for short periods of time often, sometimes for religious reasons, other times health, it certainly won't hurt you for a day or so. In fact I was in the hospital a few years ago and they didn't feed me for about 48 hours, waiting to do a proceedure and the operating rooms were all backed up. I guess I was getting some nurishment via tubes. I didn't starve, but thought I would.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Barring medical restrictions as mentioned above, there's nothing harmful in a 24-hour fast every couple of months. It's common in certain cultures that embrace meditation and Ayurvedic medicine to fast every so often. Typically, pregnant women, the elderly, the infirm, and infants still on breastmilk are "exempt" from fasting though some "infirm" people find that a day-long fast can actually make them feel better. Depends on the infirmity.

You still would need to drink water during the fast. The average person's body can do just fine without food for 24 hours. Water though, is a necessity.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Why do you want to fast? If its for weight loss forget it.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Sorry but these people are ignoring the fact you could be hypoglycemic and you should ONLY fast after you have a check up to make sure you are healthy and not nutritionally deficient. And even then there can be issues if you have a reaction to the chemicals that occur when fasting. I think you should talk to your doctor and then do research.

Here is some reading: I started on page three as that is where the hazards are written about.
Nutritional Programs: Nutritional Program for Fasting

But as of right now you should not fast without a doctor's checkup and supervision.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Barring medical restrictions as mentioned above, there's nothing harmful in a 24-hour fast every couple of months. It's common in certain cultures that embrace meditation and Ayurvedic medicine to fast every so often. Typically, pregnant women, the elderly, the infirm, and infants still on breastmilk are "exempt" from fasting though some "infirm" people find that a day-long fast can actually make them feel better. Depends on the infirmity.

You still would need to drink water during the fast. The average person's body can do just fine without food for 24 hours. Water though, is a necessity.
I and others have already addressed the "medical concerns." All things being equal, if the person has no medical issues that might make fasting a bad idea...then fasting is not a bad idea.

Again:

IF medical problems = 0
THEN fast = okay.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I don't think fasting is good at all, maybe 24 hrs but that's all. My husband has been on a bland liquid diet for 5 days due to diverticulitis and he's weak and tired, he started to eat rice and egg whites today. It's not a fun feeling. He lost 8 lbs due to this which is good and bad. Good because he is getting closer to his goal, lost 95 lbs so far since last january had the same attack last year , but bad because you have no nutrition to sustain your body and you feel listless, disconnected and yucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss