Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Almost 100% of Americans are horribly confused about how to lose weight, have been brainwashed about exercise.
Everyone should be exercising regardless of whether they are losing weight or not. And putting diet and exercise together does speed up weight loss. Simple law of thermodynamics proves that.
Cardiovascular health is extremely important since the #1 killer in the U.S. is heart disease. Exercise has been proven to reduce certain cancers, heart disease, strokes, osteoporosis, depression, etc...the list goes on.
There is no down side to exercise. Everyone should be brainwashed to exercise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM

467 posts, read 664,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Everyone should be exercising regardless of whether they are losing weight or not. And putting diet and exercise together does speed up weight loss. Simple law of thermodynamics proves that.
Cardiovascular health is extremely important since the #1 killer in the U.S. is heart disease. Exercise has been proven to reduce certain cancers, heart disease, strokes, osteoporosis, depression, etc...the list goes on.
Americans have been exercising a ton the last 25 year and still aren't thin- nah, it's total b.s.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,966,998 times
Quote:
For the love of Christ, will you shut up about the first law of thermodynamics for one goddam minute.

In the real world, lots of people who hit the treadmill just eat more, and those who do lose the weight on a miserable regimen of calorie restriction and cardio drudgery gain it right back.

These people need an alternative.

You're not providing it.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
For the love of Christ, will you shut up about the first law of thermodynamics for one goddam minute.

In the real world, lots of people who hit the treadmill just eat more, and those who do lose the weight on a miserable regimen of calorie restriction and cardio drudgery gain it right back.

These people need an alternative.

You're not providing it.
Sorry if science and facts are so upsetting to you. And if they eat more they will not lose weight because... I think you know the answer - they ate more than they burned. There are foods that a person can eat that are very satisfying that will not leave them starving after exercise.
There is NO ALTERNATIVE for exercise for health. Exercise alone will not be effective in losing weight, but it is an important component.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,534 times
Quote:
Exercise alone will not be effective in losing weight, but it is an important component.
Of health. No one is arguing that so no need to keep repeating it.
But it's not an important component in fat loss.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:38 PM

"But it's not an important component in fat loss."

yeah, it kinda is.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
I usually don't visit this forum but just happened to click on it. I can't believe how some people in this discussion are in such denial and don't want to accept the facts.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,534 times
Quote:
"But it's not an important component in fat loss."

yeah, it kinda is.
Well i guess both myself and others out there are genuine miracles.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Well i guess both myself and others out there are genuine miracles.
No one is saying you CANT lose weight without exercise. I am saying that it is much more effective to exercise while trying to lose weight. It will come off faster. Burning calories is burning calories. Doesn't take a genius to do the math. Plus you are getting fit in the process. The horror!

Why wouldn't you want to exercise while trying to lose weight? Seems like a no brainer.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Of health. No one is arguing that so no need to keep repeating it.
But it's not an important component in fat loss.
The only thing you -need- to do, to lose fat, is to stop eating, period. If that is the ONLY thing you care about - losing fat - then simply stop putting food into your mouth. The fat will go away, guaranteed.

If, however, you want to lose fat AND be healthy, then you need to include exercise, AND you need to eat, AND you need to eat healthily.

See how that works? You can be fat-free, OR you can be healthy. You can't be both. You can be slender, OR you can be slender *and* healthy. I'd rather be slender AND healthy. But actually, I'm not even interested in being slender. I'd rather just be healthy, and weigh whatever healthy ends up weighing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss