U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

2,259 posts, read 2,243,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think only 5 to 10% of the population does have a genetic disease,that's just an excuse.
I do think it may be the chemicals allowed in foods. Maybe that's what's making Americans obese.

Someone mentioned that the children now are fatter than the ones from the 70s.
Maybe that's true,but today children get better nutrition and more calcium,which results in bigger bones,and a bigger frame.
Better nutrition from when? Bigger bones? Really?
Todays kids are eating more crap than ever. And underneath all that extra padding are not bigger bones.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM

6,325 posts, read 4,310,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Better nutrition from when? Bigger bones? Really?
Todays kids are eating more crap than ever. And underneath all that extra padding are not bigger bones.
There is a such thing as having bigger bones. I have a large frame by doing the wrist tests and elbow tests.
The kids now seem so much taller now than in the 90's,when I was in school.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,626,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Has all the calorie counting/exercise reversed his diabetes?
No, but if you had actually paid attention to what he said, and what I've said, and what everyone else is saying...

it stopped him from being obese. And THAT is what this thread is about. Genetics and obesity. Not genetics and diabetes, or genetics and hormone problems.

When people genetically predisposed to obesity, do whatever is necessary to reduce that risk...then they are less likely to ever become obese.

Genetic predisposition is a risk factor. It is not a guarantee that you -will- become obese. It is also not a life sentence to obesity, even if you do end up obese.

People with type II diabetes, who are obese, can become NOT obese, by losing weight. They can lose weight, through a nutritionally balanced and glucose-aware diet and exercise. As a result, this can *reduce* the severety of the diabetes and in some cases, can completely eliminate the diabetes.

There are some people who have type II diabetes as a result of overeating combined with alcoholism. Getting treatment for the alcoholism has been -proven- to reduce the severety of the diabetes, and stopping the overeating has been -proven- to reduce the severety of type II diabetes. Sobriety + better nutrition has been -proven- in SOME CASES to eradicate the diabetes completely.

You don't have to like that fact. You don't have to believe it. You can nay-say it all day long if that's what makes your weener happy. But it will continue to be a fact even once your weener is bored again.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
There is a such thing as having bigger bones. I have a large frame by doing the wrist tests and elbow tests.
The kids now seem so much taller now than in the 90's,when I was in school.
Really, they do not seem to be any taller than when I was in school in the 70's. And while there are some big boned people, that is not a reason why people seem bigger. They are bigger because they have more fat on their bodies.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,162,592 times
I am not a doctor or scientist but I am pretty sure our weight issues are linked somehow to our DNA.

All the women in my family start out skinny to averaged-sized... and then they hit 40. Holy cow! They call themselves "curvy" or "big-boobed" but we all know what it really is - fat.

I am terrified, because I am 36. I am happy with myself now, I am not fat at all, and I've always been health conscious and physically active... but... I am still terrified. I have this fear that I'm going to hit 40 and this big giant ass is going to sprout out from nowhere, none of my jeans will fit, my ankles will have become cankles, and my arms will grow jiggly wings.

I am hoping that diet and exercise will prevent this...

Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am not a doctor or scientist but I am pretty sure our weight issues are linked somehow to our DNA.

All the women in my family start out skinny to averaged-sized... and then they hit 40. Holy cow! They call themselves "curvy" or "big-boobed" but we all know what it really is - fat.

I am terrified, because I am 36. I am happy with myself now, I am not fat at all, and I've always been health conscious and physically active... but... I am still terrified. I have this fear that I'm going to hit 40 and this big giant ass is going to sprout out from nowhere, none of my jeans will fit, my ankles will have become cankles, and my arms will grow jiggly wings.

I am hoping that diet and exercise will prevent this...
Diet and exercise will prevent it.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM

525 posts, read 211,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, but if you had actually paid attention to what he said, and what I've said, and what everyone else is saying...

it stopped him from being obese. And THAT is what this thread is about. Genetics and obesity. Not genetics and diabetes, or genetics and hormone problems.

When people genetically predisposed to obesity, do whatever is necessary to reduce that risk...then they are less likely to ever become obese.

Genetic predisposition is a risk factor. It is not a guarantee that you -will- become obese. It is also not a life sentence to obesity, even if you do end up obese.

People with type II diabetes, who are obese, can become NOT obese, by losing weight. They can lose weight, through a nutritionally balanced and glucose-aware diet and exercise. As a result, this can *reduce* the severety of the diabetes and in some cases, can completely eliminate the diabetes.

There are some people who have type II diabetes as a result of overeating combined with alcoholism. Getting treatment for the alcoholism has been -proven- to reduce the severety of the diabetes, and stopping the overeating has been -proven- to reduce the severety of type II diabetes. Sobriety + better nutrition has been -proven- in SOME CASES to eradicate the diabetes completely.

You don't have to like that fact. You don't have to believe it. You can nay-say it all day long if that's what makes your weener happy. But it will continue to be a fact even once your weener is bored again.
Severe obesity is EXTREMELY GENETIC. It is more genetic and heritable thsn ANY medical condition studied ALMOST equalling HEIGHT- only a SMIDGEN below. Possibly even equalling height.

DR. JEFFREY FRIEDMAN

The people who are most severely obese and stigmatized the most can do the VERY LEAST about it. SCIENCE now knows enough to STOP the stigmatization of the extremely obese. It cannot be defended.

EDUCATE yourself.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM

2,227 posts, read 2,317,222 times
I come from a family of overweight and obese people. I went to weight watchers for the first time at 16 and gained and lost weight a hundred times. I do think that I drew the genetic fat stick. However, a few years ago I started tracking my food, cut out most processed foods, switched to full fats vs. low fats, buy mostly organic, and most importantly I started walking. I'm at a 21 bmi now and feel fabulous, my extended family is still fat. Yes, I have to work a little harder than my naturally thin husband, but hey I'm better at math than he is...we are given genetic gifts too.

I try to follow Michael Pollens advice with a twist.

1. Eat food (as in real food that your great grandma would recognize)
2. Not too much (I still use myfitnesspal daily to track what I'm eating)
3. Mostly plants (greens, fruits, and grains)
(and #4 is mine)
4. Exercise 30 minutes most days (this includes a walk at lunch, around the neighborhood, back and forth across the parking lot) everyone has 30 minutes.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM

5,206 posts, read 5,068,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I come from a family of overweight and obese people. I went to weight watchers for the first time at 16 and gained and lost weight a hundred times. I do think that I drew the genetic fat stick. However, a few years ago I started tracking my food, cut out most processed foods, switched to full fats vs. low fats, buy mostly organic, and most importantly I started walking. I'm at a 21 bmi now and feel fabulous, my extended family is still fat. Yes, I have to work a little harder than my naturally thin husband, but hey I'm better at math than he is...we are given genetic gifts too.

I try to follow Michael Pollens advice with a twist.

1. Eat food (as in real food that your great grandma would recognize)
2. Not too much (I still use myfitnesspal daily to track what I'm eating)
3. Mostly plants (greens, fruits, and grains)
(and #4 is mine)
4. Exercise 30 minutes most days (this includes a walk at lunch, around the neighborhood, back and forth across the parking lot) everyone has 30 minutes.
Good post. It's a bit harder for me to lose weight, too. My body is a super efficient fat storer and probably always will be.

But cutting the processed food out of my diet is helping tremendously. So is exercise. The combination of good nutrition and exercise is vital to staying healthy.

Yes, it is harder for some people to lose weight. There isn't a doubt in my mind about that. But that doesn't mean we are doomed to carry a large amount of fat around. Not at all.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,626,706 times
Exactly. Genetics plays an important part in the *RISK* of *becoming* obese. But even the doctor Friedman who was referenced above, didn't state, imply, or hint that genetics causes obesity. He said that genetics can contribute to someone's frequency to overeat. It's not the genetics eating too much, it's the person eating too much. If a person knows they are genetically predisposed to obesity, then he can -prevent- ever getting obese in the first place, by being more accutely aware of his eating habits and exercise routine.

Someone predisposed genetically, needs to be more careful than someone who isn't. But even someone who is NOT genetically predisposed, can become obese. And even someone who IS predisposed, can remain in acceptable healthy weight ranges.

Genetics doesn't *determine* obesity. It merely predicts the odds of it. The individual person determines it, with or without the genetic disposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss