U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,463,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The foods on Paleo keep you satisfied longer so one does not eat as much.
I'll agree with that. What's cool is that you don't really know how many calories you are taking in since there's no reason to check. No need to count calories. That's what I meant earlier, you are not purposely restricting calories. You are not forcing yourself to eat less, wishing you could be eating more. Note that there will be a big switch in your calorie breakdown. Calories from fat is going to be very high, as well as calories from protein. Carbs will be very low. And because of this, I know that my main meals are higher in calories than before. 4 eggs, a couple slices of bacon, and a handful of berries is higher in calories than some egg whites and a cup of oatmeal. But then I'm not snacking before lunch. That whole constantly eating small meals thing is another myth as far as I'm concerned. If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,063,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I'll agree with that. What's cool is that you don't really know how many calories you are taking in since there's no reason to check. No need to count calories. Note that there will be a big switch in your calorie breakdown. Calories from fat is going to be very high, as well as calories from protein. Carbs will be very low. And because of this, I know that my main meals are higher in calories than before. 4 eggs, a couple slices of bacon, and a handful of berries is higher in calories than some egg whites and a cup of oatmeal. But then I'm not snacking before lunch. That whole constantly eating small meals thing is another myth as far as I'm concerned. If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't.
If only people would follow the "If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't."
Most people do not know when they are truly hungry and do not know when they are truly full. The foods on Paleo satiate. Most carbs do not.
The bottom line is that an eating plan must be something someone can stick with. Paleo would never work for me because I like all foods and I love my wine. My husband and I go out to eat a lot because we have a plethora of fantastic restaurants to choose from. I cannot imagine restricting any part of my diet.
I eat when I am hungry and I use moderation.
The bottom line is whatever works for the individual is the best plan.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM

956 posts, read 780,839 times
Quote:
If only people would follow the "If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't."
Most people do not know when they are truly hungry and do not know when they are truly full. The foods on Paleo satiate. Most carbs do not.
The bottom line is that an eating plan must be something someone can stick with. Paleo would never work for me because I like all foods and I love my wine. My husband and I go out to eat a lot because we have a plethora of fantastic restaurants to choose from. I cannot imagine restricting any part of my diet.
I eat when I am hungry and I use moderation.
The bottom line is whatever works for the individual is the best plan.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM

True.... true. But at least eating satiating foods makes it easier. You tend not to be sitting around thinking about the next meal. And when sitting down and eating my meals, I eat until I'm full, just like before. If any will power is involved it's breaking the habit of snacking, but this comes easier since you are truly not hungry.
And once everything is under control, you can start tweaking things. I prefer to follow Mark Sisson's idea of 80/20. 80% strict paleo, 20% not (wine, dairy, etc). I drink red wine, I eat cheese, I eat dairy, I love my 72-85% dark chocolate. It's in moderation and it works for me in mainteance mode. It also helped me stick to the plan when losing the bulk of the weight. The main thing with Paleo is staying away from the bread, sugars, and other processed foods. I know some people are VERY strict and follow Paleo to an extreme, but the average person doesn't need to. What you do need to do is start somewhere, then figure out what works for YOU and how your body responds. We also eat out a lot and you just order different things and/or figure it's part of your 20%.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 AM

14,716 posts, read 16,896,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I recently found out about a new diet that really blows my mind over what my 30 years of vegetarianism. I am thinking of getting the book and recipe book, but I don't think I could switch into eating meat and all it involves. The book really talks about "how being vegetarian or even vegan" is bad for you. Have you all ever heard about "Paleo Diet"?
I have been doing research on this diet for a very long time. I believe that for some people a Paleo diet is a valid choice. It is my opinion that during stressful periods of pre-history (chiefly the ice age), mankind evolved a need for animal fat since it is the most dense form of calories available. Although we can survive on a vegetarian diet, since we are OMNIVORES (rather than herbivores), it would therefore stand to reason that a small percentage of animal fat would be beneficial. I can only speak for myself when I say that when I eat a meal that has some animal fat, I generally feel much better. Certainly, grains and legumes are NOT a natural food for humans since they cannot be assimilated by our digestive tract without being "prepared" first, and some grains and most beans have some toxicity to humans when eaten raw.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have been doing research on this diet for a very long time. I believe that for some people a Paleo diet is a valid choice. It is my opinion that during stressful periods of pre-history (chiefly the ice age), mankind evolved a need for animal fat since it is the most dense form of calories available. Although we can survive on a vegetarian diet, since we are OMNIVORES (rather than herbivores), it would therefore stand to reason that a small percentage of animal fat would be beneficial. I can only speak for myself when I say that when I eat a meal that has some animal fat, I generally feel much better. Certainly, grains and legumes are NOT a natural food for humans since they cannot be assimilated by our digestive tract without being "prepared" first, and some grains and most beans have some toxicity to humans when eaten raw.

20yrsinBranson
Legumes are one of the most healthy things you can eat. They are nutrient and fiber dense and very filling. And just because something needs to be prepared in order to eat it does not mean it is not good for us. That is a nonsense argument.
Fat is satiating in any form. I prefer mine to be mono-saturated like olive oil, nuts and avocados.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM

I wouldn't call it nonsense.
They ARE nutrient and fiber dense, but there is also enough evidence out there to show that at a minimum they are less than ideal. I'll eat them once in a while if they're put on my plate, but it's definitely not a daily thing. There just seems to be much better choices out there, so if I have a choice, I choose differently.

Olive oil, nuts (not peanuts), and avocados are all awesome. So is animal fat.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,896,658 times
Quote:
Legumes are one of the most healthy things you can eat. They are nutrient and fiber dense and very filling. And just because something needs to be prepared in order to eat it does not mean it is not good for us. That is a nonsense argument.
Fat is satiating in any form. I prefer mine to be mono-saturated like olive oil, nuts and avocados.
I don't agree. If something is poisonous in its natural form, then that is nature's way of saying..."Don't eat this, idiot". I understand that these items have nutrients, but they are not nutrients that were designed for us to benefit from any more than the "nutrients" (whatever they are) that buzzards glean from the carrion they consume.

Just because there is something good in it, does not necessarily mean we were meant to eat it. Back at 'cha!

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM

I can pull up a dozen reputable websites going on and on about the dietary wonders of legumes. Can you provide anything other than a biased source to prove otherwise?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

You can also pull up dozens of websites showing the disadvantages of legumes in the modern diet.
Put in the effort to research both sides, not just the side you WANT to believe. Then make an informed decision on what you put in your mouth.
Like I said earlier, there are lots of good things about legumes, but also some things that make me think twice and opt for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss