Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried Weight Watchers Online?

I want to enroll my dh, who needs to lose at least 50 pounds, preferably more.

I like the idea of WW because it teaches you how to eat, as opposed to sending you boxes of food. Only in America would you pay for someone to send you less food. Just eat less!

Ok, rant over...seriously, does it really work? Are there any discounts, like AARP, or AAA, or insurance reimbursement? Any codes, coupons, etc?

Once you lose weight, does it stay off? Or do you just yo yo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I am on it for 1 year and have lost 48.2 lbs so far. You can do it online but you have to sign up. You will get free E-tools if you sign up for the monthly pass. Attending the meetings is very important because you get to be with other people who are also struggling with weight. You don't have to talk at the meetings but listening and getting ideas helps. You make your own meals, and count points. I do not recommend those frozen WW dinners or lean cuisine because of the salt content. I suggest making one of the recipes from WW online or something you can make on your own that's healthy. They do not take insurance, AARP, AAA or any other discounts but they do have offers for free registration. Check www.weightwatchers.com for any offers they have. They also have WW specifically targeted for Men, check that out online too. Once you reach your goal you have to go on maintenance. I suggest going to a free meeting, check the web site and see where local meetings are held. Someone else on here said the place by them had a free meeting. Going to the meetings they will explain the entire plan for you. They also sell some great snacks at the meeting places as well. My husband is sort of on WW with me. He does not count points but he eats all the healthy recipes and foods I cook, less portions, and he loves the snacks I buy. He has lost 98 lbs so far and still has another 80 to go. He went from a 4 x shirt size to a 2x and 54 pants size to a 50. I am down from a size 18 to a 14.It really works and stays off if you continue to follow the program. I got to goal once years ago but thought once you got to goal thats it, not true if you want to keep that weight off stay on the program.I have 25 more lbs to go. It helps if you can do the program together.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers Online?

I want to enroll my dh, who needs to lose at least 50 pounds, preferably more.

I like the idea of WW because it teaches you how to eat, as opposed to sending you boxes of food. Only in America would you pay for someone to send you less food. Just eat less!

Ok, rant over...seriously, does it really work? Are there any discounts, like AARP, or AAA, or insurance reimbursement? Any codes, coupons, etc?

Once you lose weight, does it stay off? Or do you just yo yo?
Any good eating guide will help anyone lose weight and Weight Watchers is a good program. Once the weight is lost it is up to the individual how to maintain their current weight. If they actually change their eating habits and don't just "diet" the weight should be maintained within a few pounds. If they do not change their eating habits permanently the weight will be gained back with additional weight added.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
My dh doesn't like the idea of attending meetings, but he might go to a few. I never thought of attending with him. But since I'm chief cook and bottle-washer here, I should be attending!

DH loves anything he can do with a computer---he would love the data manipulation! But I agree, its a lifestyle change. DH thinks the meetings are like the old days, when everyone weighed in then announced the results to the group. I understand its not like that anymore. Besides, attending meetings wouldmake the program seem more "official".

I just hope there are meetings nearby!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM

You don't have to say if you gained or lost in the meetings and if you don't want the leader to make a big deal when you reach certain milestones you can just tell her that. Attending a few meeitngs together will help youboth understand the New plan and new way of eating. Even if you don't need to loose weight at least you get the tools to start eating healthier.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My dh doesn't like the idea of attending meetings, but he might go to a few. I never thought of attending with him. But since I'm chief cook and bottle-washer here, I should be attending!

DH loves anything he can do with a computer---he would love the data manipulation! But I agree, its a lifestyle change. DH thinks the meetings are like the old days, when everyone weighed in then announced the results to the group. I understand its not like that anymore. Besides, attending meetings wouldmake the program seem more "official".

I just hope there are meetings nearby!
I do both meetings and online. I had to be honest with myself and admit that if I only did online, I'd probably cheat and/or not stick with it, weigh in, etc. However, that's just me! I do enjoy the online aspect and being able to manipulate the data and track things. It's pretty cool and there are lots of resources there, as well as a whole online community (forums, groups, etc.) where you can find support.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the meetings, but I really enjoy them and look forward to them every week (and mine is at 7:30 on Saturday mornings! ). You don't have to talk if you don't want to, and they will only announce your milestones if you give permission. When I weighed in and hit my first goal, they asked if they could celebrate in the meeting. I didn't care so I said sure! Usually they will announce the total weight lost by the group for the week, but never individual results.

For me, being around others who face the same struggles is helpful (the leaders themselves are required to have lost weight and kept it off using WW, so they know what you are going through). I know I'm not alone and I have learned lots of great tips. It is fun to celebrate the milestones that other people reach, as well. There is a lot of laughter in the meeting I attend.

I would suggest sitting in on one if you can, and see if it's for you.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I do both meetings and online. I had to be honest with myself and admit that if I only did online, I'd probably cheat and/or not stick with it, weigh in, etc. However, that's just me! I do enjoy the online aspect and being able to manipulate the data and track things. It's pretty cool and there are lots of resources there, as well as a whole online community (forums, groups, etc.) where you can find support.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the meetings, but I really enjoy them and look forward to them every week (and mine is at 7:30 on Saturday mornings! ). You don't have to talk if you don't want to, and they will only announce your milestones if you give permission. When I weighed in and hit my first goal, they asked if they could celebrate in the meeting. I didn't care so I said sure! Usually they will announce the total weight lost by the group for the week, but never individual results.

For me, being around others who face the same struggles is helpful (the leaders themselves are required to have lost weight and kept it off using WW, so they know what you are going through). I know I'm not alone and I have learned lots of great tips. It is fun to celebrate the milestones that other people reach, as well. There is a lot of laughter in the meeting I attend.

I would suggest sitting in on one if you can, and see if it's for you.
I go to the meetings and I track online and use their recipes. I am actually making a chicken and broccoli recipe from the website for dinner tonight. I tweaked it a bit because it was bland. I make alot pf recipes from WW and they are so good and since I am a good cook I know how to tweak them to fit my taste. You would never know they were WW recipes. I weigh in on Sunday mornings at 9:15 am by me.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I go to the meetings and I track online and use their recipes. I am actually making a chicken and broccoli recipe from the website for dinner tonight. I tweaked it a bit because it was bland. I make alot pf recipes from WW and they are so good and since I am a good cook I know how to tweak them to fit my taste. You would never know they were WW recipes. I weigh in on Sunday mornings at 9:15 am by me.
I really haven't done any experimenting with WW recipes (well, I haven't asked my husband to because he's the cook ). Chicken and broccoli sounds good, though. They are two of my favorite healthy foods.

The first meeting I went to was at 9:30 on Saturdays, which I would prefer so I could sleep in a little. However, I went to my second meeting during the week with a different leader and I really liked her. She does the 7:30 Saturday meeting, so I just decided to suck it up and go. Once I'm done with the meeting, I'm always glad I'm up and ready for the day, though.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I really haven't done any experimenting with WW recipes (well, I haven't asked my husband to because he's the cook ). Chicken and broccoli sounds good, though. They are two of my favorite healthy foods.

The first meeting I went to was at 9:30 on Saturdays, which I would prefer so I could sleep in a little. However, I went to my second meeting during the week with a different leader and I really liked her. She does the 7:30 Saturday meeting, so I just decided to suck it up and go. Once I'm done with the meeting, I'm always glad I'm up and ready for the day, though.
The earliest that they start meetings by me on weekends is 8:30 and 10:15 am is the earliest during the week but they are open 1 hour before for weigh ins. How much have you lost?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The earliest that they start meetings by me on weekends is 8:30 and 10:15 am is the earliest during the week but they are open 1 hour before for weigh ins. How much have you lost?
So far I've lost 13. I'm on my sixth week and have lost every week. I'm really nervous for that first gain, because I know it will happen. I just hope I can shake it off and stay on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss