Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Cutting off an hour of sleep to run is frankly a stupid suggestion, especially with the blithe reasoning that it will give you "tons of energy" (I would bet on the opposite, personally). It would be one thing if you were only sleeping five hours and hitting the snooze button 10 times, but if you're running your own business, I assume you're short of your ideal sleep needs, not long.

I would just think of your work as your exercise, and fuel accordingly. What sorts of physical movements do you do at work?
I do get a little exercise at work. But not enough, unfortunately. I have a small "stair stepper" that I am going to start using when I have a minute here or a minute there that isn't busy. I'm hoping it will add up! Of course, eating better will help too. I just need to find a way to do that one!

Running your own business is very demanding. But I am determined to find a solution to this, someway.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well all of the evidence says one of the primary causes of weight gain is lack of sleep. For me personally, 7 hours is the absolute minimum for me to stay healthy and energetic. When I did 4-6 weeks of 6 hours I gained 10 pounds during that period with no change in my eating. This is a horrible suggestion.
I read an article about sleep several years ago that was so interesting that I saved and read it several times and made big changes in my sleep habits because of it. I have gotten away from that; I think it's time to read it again. Going to see if I can find it online so I can share it here.

Found it. It's from 2000, but very worth reading. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture...ive_010779.htm

Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do get a little exercise at work. But not enough, unfortunately. I have a small "stair stepper" that I am going to start using when I have a minute here or a minute there that isn't busy. I'm hoping it will add up! Of course, eating better will help too. I just need to find a way to do that one!

Running your own business is very demanding. But I am determined to find a solution to this, someway.

20yrsinBranson
Maybe you could hire some summer help for a few months? Everyone needs a little time away from the grindstone.

But the stair stepper sounds like a good plan. I know those things sure do kick my booty!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
How about a treadmill? You could get some work done while walking at least, it isn't great exercise but better than sitting at a desk all day. And anytime you had ten minutes you could hope on the stair climber for a more intense workout? Just a thought.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I agree heartily with the OP.

Back when I was avid into jiu jitsu, my instructor would pound us into the ground to build us back up. At first our bodies were so used to being placid that just doing some "warm up" exercises to him would cause us to throw up and have smelly poop or diarrhea.

But after about a month of that, we stopped complaining and our bodies began to burn calories faster and everyone who stuck with it were leaner. I dropped from 180 lb to 160 lb.

When my mom met me the next time, she was like "oh wow! You look gaunt!"

...... gaunt? ...... how about a healthy weight?

Then I stopped going. I focused more on my studies and finished my master's degree and committed myself to more scholarly activities. I went back up to 180 lb and my mom was like "you look much better! What did you do?"

I replied "I got fat again and stopped working out."

Americans will rue the day when their debt laden excesses and real, actual competition from the Brazilians, Chinese, and Indians will eat up all their resources and force them to go on diets because they can't afford to stuff their fat faces anymore.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I agree heartily with the OP.

Back when I was avid into jiu jitsu, my instructor would pound us into the ground to build us back up. At first our bodies were so used to being placid that just doing some "warm up" exercises to him would cause us to throw up and have smelly poop or diarrhea.

But after about a month of that, we stopped complaining and our bodies began to burn calories faster and everyone who stuck with it were leaner. I dropped from 180 lb to 160 lb.

When my mom met me the next time, she was like "oh wow! You look gaunt!"

...... gaunt? ...... how about a healthy weight?

Then I stopped going. I focused more on my studies and finished my master's degree and committed myself to more scholarly activities. I went back up to 180 lb and my mom was like "you look much better! What did you do?"

I replied "I got fat again and stopped working out."

Americans will rue the day when their debt laden excesses and real, actual competition from the Brazilians, Chinese, and Indians will eat up all their resources and force them to go on diets because they can't afford to stuff their fat faces anymore.
I agree. My husband is 5'10" and 149lbs. He has a slim build but is also a workout freak and in great shape. People tell him (and me) how skinny he is all the time. The truth is he's a really healthy weight, its just unusual to see a man his age (36) that is still at a good weight.

I'm 5'3" and around 120lbs, that's a size 2 or 4 depending on the brand. People tell me all the time that I look fabulous (I was heavier a few years ago) but the truth is I should probably ideally be around 110lbs. I have a small frame and extra chunk around my tummy and thighs. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the way I look but 60yrs ago I would have just been a curvy average...now I'm thin.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 PM

277 posts, read 626,943 times
I grew up in the 60's and 70's and the changes in people weights over the last 30 years is huge, I think it is sad that people don't consider their health important enough to take care of themselves. I am the same weight now as when I graduated high school 34 years ago,165 lbs. and 5'11".

Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
If you think of fit as weight versus height then i'm over weight and my BMI is too high but i can assure you, i don't look it.

I'm 6'3'', 210lb and a Sergeant in the Paras (Airborne).

Unfit i'm not.
I think the BMI is a very poor indicator of fitness. Body fat percentage is a much better indicator. At 6'3 and 210lbs and an Airborne member to boot, I'm sure you are in great shape.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
I think BMI is a good indicator. People always use the "athletes are overweight even though they have low bodyfat" reason to try to knock BMI. I agree that BMI is probably not the best for athletes, but for 90% of society, its pretty accurate. Seriously, how many people are walking around with 5-10% bodyfat? Over 50% of people are overweight or obese, people might want to pay attention to BMI.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Oh.

My.

God.
It's called sarcasm...look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss