Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I rarely get food cravings. Why? I think its because I focus food as fuel instead of food as pleasure. It also helps that I never have "cravings" type food in the house. However, if I want a Chipotle burrito or a beer, I consider just how hard I have worked out that week/month, and where I am on my fitness goals, then decide from there. I think that people like me who are at their target health/fitness/weight levels have a bit more leeway than someone who needs to lose weight.

Cravings could be caused by different things, it depends on the person. I HIGHLY doubt that their are caused by the body "needed something specific in the food" because people usually on crave sh*tty foods. "Cravers" rarely crave broccoli, spinich, or healthy things, they always crave crap. I personally believe that most people who "crave" anything do so because of either emotional issues (comfort food) or mental illness issues ("I know Im fat but I just need some pie/cake/bread/sugar/soda..........").
If food is just fuel to you, you would not be going to Chipotle or drinking beer - ever. When is that stuff ever good fuel for your body? A beer or a burrito every now and then isn't going to hurt you too much because you're in good shape and it isn't your normal diet. But don't kid yourself - you're choosing to have those treats because they taste good and you crave them because you rarely have them, not because they're good fuel for your body.

Most people crave comfort food like mac and cheese, lasagna, burritos, etc. because of the taste and the texture. Most crave alcohol because they like the taste and the buzz they get from it. And we tend to crave what we can not have every day.

And, yes, if you ever go on vacation and find yourself in an area that has little in the way of fresh produce - you will crave fresh veggies and fruits just as bad, if not worse, than the less healthy fare that you crave now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM

467 posts, read 664,888 times
I'm clear about what foods I'm not going to eat and I don't eat them- very simple.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I do not like to make any food group off limits for myself. I eat a very healthy diet of whole foods. But I eat whole grains (OMG SHUDDER) and I even eat starches (the horror). But I am always satisfied. I have no reason to overeat. I enjoy cooking and eating immensely and I enjoy exercising. Its all good. I decided a long time ago after 'dieting' that none of them where going to work...especially Atkins, which just kind of grossed me out even thought I did lose weight (though never made it to my goal which was only 15 lbs at the time. I stayed on it for 6 months and was totally sold on it at the time and looking back I have no idea why. Deprival is no way to live in the long term.
Whatever works for the individual is what that individual should follow. The absolutes about food groups is just futile and misinformed.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I get food cravings all the time. I like to eat and I really enjoy the taste of some foods. I get a lot of pleasure from a good piece of chocolate or a Chipotle burrito...mmm...anyway, sometimes I indulge and other times I don't. I want to be healthy and in good shape, but I'm not going to always deny myself a food that I really enjoy eating. Life is meant to be enjoyed too!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I get food cravings all the time. I like to eat and I really enjoy the taste of some foods. I get a lot of pleasure from a good piece of chocolate or a Chipotle burrito...mmm...anyway, sometimes I indulge and other times I don't. I want to be healthy and in good shape, but I'm not going to always deny myself a food that I really enjoy eating. Life is meant to be enjoyed too!
I agree! And this is the way to eat if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Everything is moderation. I know there are a few people here who hate the word moderation and brag about eating tons of protein an fats. But to me thats like a jail sentence. I will practice moderation and enjoy all foods and remain a healthy weight.
I have not had to think about what I eat (as far as weight gain goes) for years. I maintain my weight eating pretty much what I want and exercising.
I do eat whole natural foods and no fast food and not a lot of sugar.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Man, that pork belly i ate last night was awesome! And coconut milk ice cream for dessert.
Leftover porkbelly and stuffed peppers for lunch today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss