Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

Basically, I've been eating what our ancestors ate: lots of fat, butter, cheese, fish, red meat (I eat mostly bison), ton of eggs, dark chocolate, heavy whipping cream protein shakes, and a little bit of yam and veggies here and there.

I eat virtually no sugar (though I do have to have it in my tea, but it's not much) and drink lots of tea. My carb intake is extremely small.

results? Best shape of my life, blood tests are spectacular, no longer take Omega3 fish oil.

Back in the early 1900s, a French explorer met with the Eskimos in the Yukon and he subsisted on nothing but fish and red meat. There were no other forms of foods. No veggies grew up there. The result after 2 years? Extremely healthy and became a major study that is now known pretty much as the Atkins or even parts of the South Beach Diet.

I do exercise, but we're not seeing evidence exercise helps with weight loss. The only real reason that exercising seems to help with weight loss is because people generally eat healthier. Exercise is important for a number of reasons, but weight management and controlling disease risk are not on the list, at least according to the best available evidence.

Here's a good infographic on this topic: http://blog.massivehealth.com/infogr...e_killing_you/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
My ancestors ate a lot of those foods, and most of them died of heart attacks and aneurisms, clogged arteries, strokes, and diabetes-related deaths.

Thankfully, there have shifts in the way our ancestors have eaten - we aren't doomed to repeat their mistakes just because "that's how it always used to be."

Nowadays, the salad *can* be the main course, with the protein being a single ingredient in the salad (like sliced broiled chicken breast, cajun seasoned and tossed in a caesar salad). Now, there are a variety of lean meats, and the option to cook smaller portion sizes than you get at restaurants - and even some restaurants are offering smaller portion sizes at lower prices to accommodate people who understand the calories in/calories out theory...

A happy, less-fed customer, will return for many more happy less-fed meals. I think it's awesome.

I can eat that rice pilaf and the mini-loaf of bread with garlic butter, because I'm also eating grilled salmon and a fat bowl of wild greens with sunflower seeds and raisins and gorgonzola vinegraitte dressing on the side.

So yeah I'm eating red meat. Not every day, and not in huge portions. I put real butter on my bread, not margarine. Both are fat, but butter has better nutritional value. My protein intake is on the high end of moderate, but it's still moderate. My sugar and carb intake is also moderate most days, some days I just can't say no to bread. I'm not much of a sugar hog, 2 spoons in my single cup of coffee in the morning, and whatever sugar is in my mid-day fiber bar snack. That's pretty much it, most days.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,032 times
You need fiber or else you run the high risk for diverticulitis and colon cancer.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My ancestors ate a lot of those foods, and most of them died of heart attacks and aneurisms, clogged arteries, strokes, and diabetes-related deaths.
Humm. Did they smoke? Red meat eaters tend to smoke, and also often ate other bad foods. Red meat eaters don't really care about their health...so that's why you get all of that bad press on how red meat is bad for you.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Humm. Did they smoke? Red meat eaters tend to smoke, and also often ate other bad foods. Red meat eaters don't really care about their health...so that's why you get all of that bad press on how red meat is bad for you.
I love red meat. Had some for dinner tonight. I do not smoke, I care about my health, am very fit and my doctor thinks I am doing great on all counts. So take your red meat scare tactics and peddle them elsewhere.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I eat red meat maybe once a month. I used to eat red meat 3 times a week.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,994 times
Quote:
They probably combined all that fat with sugars as well which is a deadly combination.
There's really no foods in nature that combine high levels of both fat and sugar.

Oh and to answer your initial question... yes <raises hand>. Although i do try to eat my veggies along with some berries and some other fruit.
Don't expect much love around these parts though. "Moderation is key" gets the popular vote here.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
You eat red meat. You stated it in your first sentence of this thread. I also find your 'diet' preposterous. You cannot do fat and sugar together and hope for anything other than a heart attack at some point.
You contradicted yourself when you said you ate dark chocolate and then went on to say you don's eat sugar except for the amount you put in your tea. I smell a troll.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,994 times
The amount of sugar in a few squares really dark chocolate (75% and up) is negligible compared to the amount of sugar most people put in their bodies. The organic dark chocolate I have in front of me right now obtains its sugar from beets. No other added sugars. Then add in the beneficial effects of dark chocolate and you have a winner.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,106 times
Heavens, here we go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss