Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:01 AM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times

Advertisements

I have been suffering from compulsive overeating quite intensely for about 6 months. It only gets worse every month. If I don't stop eat that much I might find myself in the hospital soon.

So, the question is:
1. Can you recommend any reliable movies, shows, articles or books available online relating to this disease?
2. Do you know anyone in real life who managed to cope with this disease successfully? If yes, how?
3. Could you name any drugs against this disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
You just might need to be in the hospital. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Something is going on in your life, since this is a new thing for you. Consult your medical dr and mental health professional.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 11-26-2011 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: it's early and my fingers are being lazy :)

Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Kim, the thing is if I wanted to consult with the mental health professional, I would do it. But all I want to do now is to consult with other CDers who dealt with the same problem.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
You might want to google Overeaters Anonymous in your area (put in your zip) - they're nationwide, anonymous and can be very very helpful in dealing w/ overeating - no drugs there but it's a very supportive group of people who have dealt w/ the addiction - they also have literature and i believe can recommend books but just talking to others who have been there can help immensely. I believe there's also online support groups

Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Kim, the thing is if I wanted to consult with the mental health professional, I would do it. But all I want to do now is to consult with other CDers who dealt with the same problem.

There is a reason why all of a sudden you can't control your eating...you have to get to the root of that reason and then you can find way to deal with it and stop it.

OA is a great place to start....you won't find the support and the answers you're looking for here on CD.

Good luck and I hope you find the answer to your problem.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 13,532 times
I completely understand where you are coming from, because I went through the same thing. And, if you've only been doing it for about six months, there is hope! You definitely do need to figure out the root of the problem. With me, it was the stress of being in an emotionally/physically abusive relationship, and feeling trapped. Even after the relationship had ended, I was stuck with these atrocious eating habits, and a BMI that climbed into the obese category. I found myself wishing I could be thin again, and feeling happier. But those negative feelings about myself, and certain aspects of my life had me keep turning back to the tasty foods that temporarily comforted me. I would eat myself so full it hurt.

I really feel for you, and I don't know what's going on in your life, but I really hope that you can better your health. I PROMISE that if you take small steps each and every day, it WILL make a difference overall. DON'T suddenly drop your caloric intake to, like, 1,500 a day, for example, if you're eating significantly more than that. You will feel STARVING. You're body will be in shock.

What I suggest is this:

Make sure that you truly are ready to do this for yourself. Solve issues in your life or within yourself. You can't solve everything, so you need to accept certain things, and cope with them another way.

Track a couple days worth of eating. Write down the calories. See how many you eat in a typical day. A great resource would be SparkPeople.com CHECK IT OUT! You can track your intake, and look up calories for foods you eat that you may not have the nutritional facts for.

Once you know the average calories you take in on a typical day, you can then start slowly subtracting calories every two days or so. So maybe you normally eat 2,500 calories a day. And you want to wean off this habit. So maybe start by eating 2,300 calories for a couple days, then 2,100...then 1,900...and so on. Depending on your height, age, gender, etc. you're intake needs will vary.

I'm sure you've heard this...eat things lower in fat/sodium/cholesterol/simple carbs and eat more things high in protien/fiber/whole grains. Measuring out your food is a good habit to acquire because it will show you real portion sizes. And stay hydrated, because it'll keep you from craving bad foods. WATER WATER WATER.

My favorite things to have on hand
Skinny Cow Ice Cream, its amazing

Salad...you can put all kinds of things in a salad...I
personally enjoy things like sour cream, bacon, salsa, tortilla chips,
cheese, ranch dressing, chicken, etc! And most of the options out there
have low-fat/fat-free options which taste great, esp. combined with
other flavors. You can make HUGE salads that are SO tasty.

Baked potatoes are great, too. Again, many things you can add to them!
Just pop them in the oven at 400 for about 50 mins, and tada! Carbs like
that won't hurt you.

I could keep going, but this is a lot of information to take in! You can message me on my profile and I would love to see what you think, what your concerns are, and be someone to talk with and support you. Hope to hear from you.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
I have been suffering from compulsive overeating quite intensely for about 6 months. It only gets worse every month. If I don't stop eat that much I might find myself in the hospital soon.

So, the question is:
1. Can you recommend any reliable movies, shows, articles or books available online relating to this disease?
2. Do you know anyone in real life who managed to cope with this disease successfully? If yes, how?
3. Could you name any drugs against this disease?
1. Amazon.com: compulsive overeating: Books
2. No.
3. No.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Are you familiar with Geneen Roth?
Check out her web-site and the books she has written.
Books by Geneen Roth
No matter what approach you take it is absolutely essential that you get to the core reason(s) for your compulsive eating if you want to be liberated from this torturous compulsion.
I had a serious eating disorder many years ago (while in my 20's).
I was a running bulimic, ie; i binged and, instead of purging, i ran for miles a day.
It was not until i addressed the core issues that i was able to free myself of the need to eat compulsively.
All the best to you ... be patient and be kind to yourself.
There is a way to get free.

Last edited by jaijai; 11-26-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1013 View Post
You definitely do need to figure out the root of the problem.
I guess there are two main points:
1. The habit to overeat when I get nervous because of any troubles in my job. (I changed the job recently. So, I hoped I'd get rid of the overeating problem with the new job yet it turns out the problem still remains).
2. Even though I understand the sugar is a poison I can not restrain from enjoying the awesome taste of candies, cookies, and bakery foods.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
I guess there are two main points:
1. The habit to overeat when I get nervous because of any troubles in my job. (I changed the job recently. So, I hoped I'd get rid of the overeating problem with the new job yet it turns out the problem still remains).
2. Even though I understand the sugar is a poison I can not restrain from enjoying the awesome taste of candies, cookies, and bakery foods.
So you lack the self-control, fortitude, dignity, personal pride, self-esteem, and confidence to say "oh it looks and smells awesome. Thanks for offering, but no thanks."

You also use stress as an excuse to eat.

That means, your problem is with stress, self-control, fortitude, dignity, personal pride, self-esteem, and confidence. And for that, you need to speak with a mental health care worker, such as a therapist, or psychologist, psychiatrist, or social worker who specializes in food obsessions.

Your sugar cravings are a sign that you have a "mental allergy" to sweets. If you're able to wrap your mind around that concept, and leap to the assumption that you are deathly allergic to sweets, you could possibly do this yourself. But you have to have a pretty healthy imagination, and you have to be capable of ignoring sound practical logic and data (since you're not really allergic to sweets). Given that you are ignoring the sound practical logic and data that suggests you need to see a mental health worker about your personal issues, and have convinced yourself you "can't resist" sweets, this idea might have merit. Just convince yourself that you're allergic, and that if you inhale one more bonbon, your tongue will swell up and your throat will close and you will die a horrible miserable ugly and humiliating death, in front of everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss