Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm limiting whole grains right now in my own diet but when I went lower carb before and avoided highly processed foods, I had more complex carbs in my diet (brown rice, quinoa, etc.) and I still did not experience any heartburn - even when I drank tea or coffee which were always big triggers for me. Right now, I'm limiting complex carbs simply to cut back on calories, not because I think brown rice is necessarily bad for me.

I think the heartburn/reflux/GERD comes from having too many simple carbs in your diet. What constitutes "too many" probably varies a lot among people.
I think the simple carbs are contributers and all the sodium and in packaged foods. I know the acidity in coffee gets me and ibuprofin especially. I try and take Tylenol instead. I get a lot of headaches (I have since I was a small child) so sometimes ibuprfin is the only thing that relives them.
Stress is also a huge component in acid reflux.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I mentioned that I have acid reflux too and you took a jab at me with your spicy foods and junk comments.
Again, not about or directed at you.
That just reminded me that a lot of people associate certain foods (spicy, salty, acidic, whatever) with acid reflux. It may be the final trigger to the symptoms, but many times the overall diet/eating habits is the underlying cause.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
I eat clean and I don't have GERD or acid reflux.

For me, eating clean means:

Washing my hands before I eat.
Making sure the supper plate is washed before loading it up with Kraft Mac & Cheese.
Making sure the pot has been rinsed well before boiling water in it to make the Kraft Mac & Cheese.
Checking the Kraft Mac & Cheese for bugs before dumping the noodles into the pot of boiling water.

I also sometimes eat a salad. But I cheat and I don't rinse it first. So for salad, I eat dirty. Ewwww. Dirt.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Please stop the bickering back & forth. This is a forum for people to help each other and offer advice on dieting, not a place where people should be subjected to insults.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-01-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times
Significantly cut down on your alcohol consumption or cut it out all together. Alcohol definitely is correlated with acid reflux. If you drink coffee and must have it, try using a cold brewing method to make your coffee, which significantly cuts down on acidity and bitterness. Heck you might like it even better.

Toddy T2N Cold Brew System: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Significantly cut down on your alcohol consumption or cut it out all together. Alcohol definitely is correlated with acid reflux. If you drink coffee and must have it, try using a cold brewing method to make your coffee, which significantly cuts down on acidity and bitterness. Heck you might like it even better.

That is my whole problem! I really need my coffee. I have gone for periods of time without out it. I once made it a year, but that was once upon a time. It also helps a lot with my headaches. If I feel one coming on I can drink a cup and keep it at bay. I will look into the cold brewing method. I tried tea, but for some reason it upsets my stomach, especially green tea, which is a bummer.
I have a true passion for wine so I will not be giving that up anytime soon. So I have just decided to treat my acid reflux as needed. Luckily it is treatable and is just more of a nuisance than anything else at this point. If it ever gets worse I guess I will have to make some hard changes.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Significantly cut down on your alcohol consumption or cut it out all together. Alcohol definitely is correlated with acid reflux.

I used to get heartburn after drinking wine. But once I took out the processed foods from my diet, I found that I no longer get heartburn when I drink wine (I drink it approx once a week). I think taking off belly weight - by cutting back on starchy/sugary carbs- really helped to get rid of my heartburn.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 AM

526 posts, read 900,430 times
I'll echo what several people have said. When I was eating a "normal" diet, spicy and fatty foods seemed to trigger my heartburn and reflux. But once I went very low carb, I could eat all the spicy and fatty foods I wanted. The heartburn completely went away. If I cheated, it would come back that very night. I've gone on and off low carb a few times over the past 3 years and have had exactly the same experience each time.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 PM

263 posts, read 230,643 times
Quote:

Thanks for the cold brew suggestion

Old 12-15-2015, 08:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Also try Kava coffee, which has reduced acid and comes in a jar and you add it to hot water, but it tastes like regular coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss