Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM

467 posts, read 664,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Bread is made -with- sugar. That's how you get the yeast to foam. So if you are eating bread, you are eating sugar. Because there's no way to take the sugar out of the bread, once you've mixed it with the yeast to make the dough rise.
Bread is made from grains which we never ate till 10,000 years ago. This is the cause of the obesity crisis and also the introduction of vegetable oils which we also never ate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Bread is made from grains which we never ate till 10,000 years ago. This is the cause of the obesity crisis and also the introduction of vegetable oils which we also never ate.
This is such a non argument its not even funny. The people who lived 10,000 years ago were lucky to make it to 30. Why such fascination with a group of people who had to evolve or the human race would be no more?
What I find amazing is the sheer number of people who want to emulate this lifestyle thinking somehow these cave folks were so healthy.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM

467 posts, read 664,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is such a non argument its not even funny. The people who lived 10,000 years ago were lucky to make it to 30. Why such fascination with a group of people who had to evolve or the human race would be no more?
What I find amazing is the sheer number of people who want to emulate this lifestyle thinking somehow these cave folks were so healthy.
Cave people? Really? The point is, we haven't adapted to grains and our bodies don't do well on them. You can be your own guinea pig for life though; you can eat all the grains, starches, vegetables, and vegetable oils you want, it's a free country. You can count calories, try various macronutrient ratios; hint: the body really prefers high protein, higher fat and higher carb. Good luck with the higher carb thing on a diet that includes grains and also good luck trying to figure out what oils to use, why olive oil which is touted as so healthy doesn't seem to work and why eating this prefab way will ensure that you never get control of your blood sugar and have to exercise a lot (which will just tire you out) or search for supplements and/or medication to help handle your deranged blood sugars, cholesterol and triglycerides. Your health may or may not improve, you may or may not lose weight and will probably be fairly discouraged, not just about the lack of weight loss but about the fact that you feel like cr*p and can't figure out why.

I don't have a lot of time to waste, I'm not gonna eat things people didn't eat for thousands of years. Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
There is definitely a link between corn syrup and obesity. Corn syrup is in a majority of processed foods and corn syrup will make you get fatter faster than the same amount of table sugar. There is also a link between corn syrup and a higher incidence of diabetes. My doctor told me to cut corn from my diet and she said that it would be very difficult because, according to her, if the food you are eating comes in a jar, box, can or package, it probably has corn syrup in it.

Corn & Obesity | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There is definitely a link between corn syrup and obesity. Corn syrup is in a majority of processed foods and corn syrup will make you get fatter faster than the same amount of table sugar. There is also a link between corn syrup and a higher incidence of diabetes. My doctor told me to cut corn from my diet and she said that it would be very difficult because, according to her, if the food you are eating comes in a jar, box, can or package, it probably has corn syrup in it.

Corn & Obesity | LIVESTRONG.COM
One tbsp of corn syrup has 53 calories and one tbsp of sugar has 46 calories. That is a 7 calorie difference. So saying that corn syrup will make you fatter than sugar is technically right, but only by a wee amount. Calories are calories. You burn them all the same. Corn syrup is cheap and used is highly processed foods that are not good for anyone. But corn syrup itself really does not make anyone any fatter than those same people substituting sugar instead.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
One tbsp of corn syrup has 53 calories and one tbsp of sugar has 46 calories. That is a 7 calorie difference. So saying that corn syrup will make you fatter than sugar is technically right, but only by a wee amount. Calories are calories. You burn them all the same. Corn syrup is cheap and used is highly processed foods that are not good for anyone. But corn syrup itself really does not make anyone any fatter than those same people substituting sugar instead.
You didn't read the link that I posted (Princeton University Study)....there is much more to it than that - give it a read and tell me what you think. You have quoted what the corn syrup industry wants us all to believe and what they have paid millions of dollars to advertise on television. Remember corn syrup is in almost all processed foods so the corn industry definitely has an agenda that is aimed to convince us that corn syrup is actually good for you and no different than sugar (believe me, it isn't).

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-17-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you eat ripe fruit, berries, tomatoes, beets, carrots, you're eating sugar.
If you eat bread or anything else made with yeast, you're eating sugar (sugar the catalyst for yeast).
If you consume dairy of any kind, in any form, you're eating sugar. Even lactose-free dairy contains *some* lactose, which is milk-sugar.
Unless you're diabetic and insulin-dependent, you are probably consuming lots of sugar all the time, and don't even notice it because it doesn't have a label on the package that says "candy."
I focus 100% on added sugar. I eat natural ones, and monitor how I feel when eating them. There is a happy medium, but most of the problems follow added sugars, not the ones in fruit, veggies and dairy.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Blood sugar and glucose levels reacts differently to table sugar and corn syrup.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Blood sugar and glucose levels reacts differently to table sugar and corn syrup.
Exactly.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Then it's up to the consumer to eat LESS of it. And then - voila just like magic - they won't get fat.

Not that I believe the anti-corn spin, I don't. Out of every 30 grams of Karo light-colored corn syrup, there are only 10 grams of actual sugar. Out of every 30 grams of sugar, there are 30 grams of sugar. So it stands to reason that if your cake recipe calls for a half cup of corn syrup, and you use sugar instead, you'll be getting 3x as much sugar, as if you had just used corn syrup.

Of course, the hype is actually about *high fructose* corn syrup, which is a commercial food additive and not the stuff that comes in the glass bottle, that you make chocolate candy with at home. But hey, who cares really? Some of you are on a roll, so keep spinning the "corn syrup makes your fat cells fatter than sugar" nonsense. You'd be incorrect, but if it makes you feel better, have at it. Even if it did, it's not "corn syrup" that would be doing it. It is, very specifically, and exclusively, "High Fructose corn syrup." The two are different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss