Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

watched a show on TV last night telling us about the Men who made us fat.... and this corn syrup has been blamed for US obesity since the 1970s.. I dont know much about it, but could this be a reason apart from overeating..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
watched a show on TV last night telling us about the Men who made us fat.... and this corn syrup has been blamed for US obesity since the 1970s.. I dont know much about it, but could this be a reason apart from overeating..
So what was the reason for obesity before the 1970's?
And what is the reason for obesity among people who don't consume things containing corn syrup?

Maybe - it isn't corn syrup causing obesity. Maybe people eating *too much* corn syrup, and *too much* of other things, is causing obesity. Maybe lack of exercise is causing obesity.

It's a dangerous and misguided thing to lay the blame of a worldwide dietary problem on one culprit. Not everyone around the world has access to corn syrup, but there are plenty of obese people in those parts of the world. People get obese for a few reasons:

1. overeating
2. underexercising
3. certain medications
4. rare, uncommon thyroid problems (that have become a very common, unrare *excuse* among certain people, because if they truly had those thyroid problems, then a single daily pill would correct it and they wouldn't be able to use that as their excuse anymore).

Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
LOL, corn syrup (and pretty much anything made from corn or fed corn) is nasty. The end.
I won't even feed my dogs corn based food.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So what was the reason for obesity before the 1970's?
And what is the reason for obesity among people who don't consume things containing corn syrup?

Maybe - it isn't corn syrup causing obesity. Maybe people eating *too much* corn syrup, and *too much* of other things, is causing obesity. Maybe lack of exercise is causing obesity.
I'm not saying it is or isn't because I don't know. However, high fructose corn syrup -- which I assume is the culprit here -- was not widely used before the late 70s. Also, it's cheaper than sugar and food manufacturers began to add it to everything. The low-fat food craze saw fats being replaced with HFCS. It may not be the reason, but it may be a contributor.

It's best to avoid it if at all possible.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not saying it is or isn't because I don't know. However, high fructose corn syrup -- which I assume is the culprit here -- was not widely used before the late 70s. Also, it's cheaper than sugar and food manufacturers began to add it to everything. The low-fat food craze saw fats being replaced with HFCS. It may not be the reason, but it may be a contributor.

It's best to avoid it if at all possible.
The correlation between obesity and HFCS -cannot- be a causation. It is chemically impossible. If it were true, then everyone who consumed food containing HFCS would be obese. Since most people who consume food containing HFCS are -not- obese, then you can just rule that out.

OVERCONSUMING foods containing HFCS is certainly a culprit, but that goes back to the "overeating of anything is bad for you" school of thought, which is just common sense. Now, you figure out what is causing so many people to lack common sense, and you might have an answer to the obesity problem.

FWIW: I consume things containing HFCS. However, I have reduced my overall consumption of food, in particular starches and fats, which I had been overeating far more than I'd been overeating anything else. I have included exercise, and I have lost weight. But I still eat foods with HFCS. So do millions of people who are -not- overweight.

So HFCS can't be the culprit, or even a contributing factor. It has to be the dosage. Give yourself too much and you'll gain weight. Give yourself too much of -anything- and you'll end up with some kind of problem or another. Even too much water is bad for you.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
I agree completely. Too much rat poison is bad for u too. But if u eat it in moderation you'll do just fine.
EVERYTHING in moderation.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The correlation between obesity and HFCS -cannot- be a causation. It is chemically impossible. If it were true, then everyone who consumed food containing HFCS would be obese. Since most people who consume food containing HFCS are -not- obese, then you can just rule that out.

OVERCONSUMING foods containing HFCS is certainly a culprit, but that goes back to the "overeating of anything is bad for you" school of thought, which is just common sense. Now, you figure out what is causing so many people to lack common sense, and you might have an answer to the obesity problem.

FWIW: I consume things containing HFCS. However, I have reduced my overall consumption of food, in particular starches and fats, which I had been overeating far more than I'd been overeating anything else. I have included exercise, and I have lost weight. But I still eat foods with HFCS. So do millions of people who are -not- overweight.

So HFCS can't be the culprit, or even a contributing factor. It has to be the dosage. Give yourself too much and you'll gain weight. Give yourself too much of -anything- and you'll end up with some kind of problem or another. Even too much water is bad for you.
I too will consume things with HFCS occasionally. I also consume all kinds of things that some think are absolute poison that have no ill effect on me weight wise. Simply because I do not overeat. For the 95% of the time my diet is very healthy. I have no food issues. I have no special dietary requirements. I can go to a restaurant and not have to worry about simple carbs or GOD FORBID - PUFAS! Life is good.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I'm just going with the timeline you provided. Curious, isn't it.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
It is true that obesity has skyrocketed. Mainly due to farm subsidies and putting corn products into everything. Cheap food. People like cheap food. Bad food is cheaper than good food. You put wheat products and corn products together and you have a cash cow for the agra biz. But we cannot put the blame exclusively on them. People have to be responsible for what they put into their mouths. Once your pants get a little tight that is a clue telling you that you are gaining weight. It is then up to the individual to either go into denial and keeping eating the crap, or they can educate themselves, learn discipline and not allow themselves to balloon up to become obese.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
There have been quite a few recent studies that show HFCS has a much different impact than the same amount of sugar.
Rat Study at Princeton: Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

And I saw a blurb this week in Shape that said another study showed a 5% increase in glucose levels when consuming HFCS vs regular sugar.

There is a lot of evidence that HFCS is much worse for you than sugar, even though corn producers claim it is the same.

I try to avoid it as much a possible. I probably have HFCS about 1X a month. And regular sugar in pretty small amounts. Most days I have very limited amounts of added sugar. Around 2-3 teaspoons. About 1-2X a week, I'll have a little more (like a pastry or chocolate bar).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss