U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,075,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Read this. You'll be more informed.
Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (9780307272706): Gary Taubes: Books
Then take what you now know, put it to use and watch the pounds melt away.
Exercise for fun and fitness, but don't expect it to make you lose weight. Focus on your diet.
Thank me later.

Also, you'll probably notice throughout your journey that your weight will vary during the week and pretty consistently. You'll begin to notice a trend in which days are your lightest and which are your heaviest.
I would second this recommendation. While Weight Watchers is a highly respected program, if you happen to be an unlucky person who is insulin resistant like I am, you need knowledge like in the book above to change your way of eating and do so permanently. You can take the knowledge about portion control you get from Weight Watchers and from the above book and develop a way of eating that you can be satisfied with for the rest of your life - that is the recipe for health and success in the weight department.
Trust me when I say calories are NOT created equal and it is not as simple as "calories in, calories out" as many would have you believe.

I have been exercising regularly and actively since 2009. It was only after I got majorly serious about my diet that the pounds came off and I got down to my goal weight. Until then, I spent several years literally "fit and fat." If I had to break it down, I would say that it was probably 30% exercise and 70% diet in achieving my goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM

11,477 posts, read 8,466,823 times
I only weigh in at WW and In use the same scale everytime I go. I am superstitious that way.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM

5,145 posts, read 5,645,132 times
If WW doesn't work try sparkpeople. Its a free site.

But 2 lbs is a normal weight flux. I suggest taking your weight every day so you get used to seeing your normal window of weight flux. Since you are on the WW plan stick to that and just watch what happens for a month. Scales also have a range of error. Its usually in the manufacturing info.

When I was losing weight my weight always went up a couple pounds before it dropped. I saw that pattern and stuck to my plan and actually got excited as I knew in the next couple days those pounds and few more would come off.

If you only use the weight tracker part of spark people you get a graph that shows you your weight loss trend line which can also be a mental helper to stay on track.

If you have a slower metabolism it would help to do some walking or go lower carb with your weight watchers.
Go veggie heavy and little to no fruit until you get the weightloss ball rolling. It definitely can help. When you go to add back some fruit do so slowly so your body can adjust with it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM

2,173 posts, read 1,467,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
i started changing my eat habits last wednesday by eating 3 small meals and working out constantly and drinking slim quick twice a day avoided sugar and a lil but of carbs. the weight was coming off. started at 250 and yesterday before i went to work my weight was 245.6. well I work night shift. I did not eat any junk, i didn't eat alot but just enough and tons of water. But I wasn't peeing alot. I am not sure it was water weight. But anyways when i got home and used the bathroom i weighned myself and the scale read 247 i was mad. I told myself i am not giving up, so i had a small bowl of cereal and 15 minutes after sitting i did a workout dvd. and this weekend when i am off I am so going to workout like crazy and eat 3 bigger heathly meals and jog alot. i have a slow metabolism.

Has anyone been through this before. I want to lose about 140 lbs.
Normal. The body is going to fluctuate like that as we are women, deal with hormones and water weight gain. I can add 5-7 lbs of water weight every month for a few days.
And remember-it will take a pretty long time to see the results you want. Don't give up now.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM

5,210 posts, read 5,183,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Normal. The body is going to fluctuate like that as we are women, deal with hormones and water weight gain. I can add 5-7 lbs of water weight every month for a few days.
And remember-it will take a pretty long time to see the results you want. Don't give up now.
My weight also fluctuates (by a few pounds) with monthly hormonal changes. I think that's pretty standard stuff for women.

I hate those days when I "weigh heavy" but seeing the numbers go up on the scale tends to give me additional incentive to tighten up my diet and exercise - which eventually leads to more weight loss.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 AM

5,210 posts, read 5,183,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post

I have been exercising regularly and actively since 2009. It was only after I got majorly serious about my diet that the pounds came off and I got down to my goal weight. Until then, I spent several years literally "fit and fat." If I had to break it down, I would say that it was probably 30% exercise and 70% diet in achieving my goals.
I've been doing the "fit and fat" dance for a while, myself. Now I'm putting a great deal of focus on my diet - what types if food I put into my body and foods that I limit/avoid - and along with exercise, the pounds are coming off.

I'm also insulin resistant. Since you've managed to reach your goal weight (congratulations!), I'm curious to know what your diet (mostly) consists of/what foods you limit and/or avoid altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss