Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,767,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
When people say these sorts of its due to one of two things 1.) A major dietary deficiency, 2.) its psychological. There is no reason, biologically, that your body would need animal protein and become "starving, tired and miserable".

There are not some people that "need meat" and others that don't......meat is not an essential nutrient in the human diet.
LOL no, but fat, protein, zinc, iron and b12 are all essential parts of the human diet and meat just happens to be a convenient source of all those things. You don't need to eat fruit, either, but wouldn't that suck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Ok, if vegan is so wrong and not natural then why is it the only way I can get my body to function right now? I had a surgery in May and I am not digesting dairy and meat at all very well and I was eating plenty of fiber and drinking plenty of water but still couldn't get my 'plumbing' to work. I cut out those two things and now things are great. I know this isn't about weightloss but to say it can't be right just because it's not right for you is just silly.
"Vegan" isn't merely the lack of meat and dairy. "Vegan" is rejecting ALL consumption of ALL animal-based products, including not wearing leather, not eating honey, not wearing wool, or silk, etc. etc.

If the only two things you've cut out of your diet is meat and dairy, then you're not a vegan. You're a vegetarian. Or, if you're eating fish, then you're a pescatarian. If you're eating poultry, you're a uh - I dunno what it's called. If you're eating eggs or anything made with eggs, you're an octo-vegetarian. And so on and so forth.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,796,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You know nothing about my calorie intake, so I dont know what makes you think can advise me. Turns out, my body is not the same as your body and what works for yours does not necessarily work for mine.

Don't you feel just the tiniest bit hypocritical for criticizing the other poster for making unfounded assessments on your health and then turning around and doing the exact same thing to me?
I should have prefaced what I said with "When that situation happened to me it was because my calorie count was too low". I would guess its the same with you but nobody really knows whats going on with anyone on a random forum. I also disagree and believe most of our bodies act very similarly with the exception of food allergies.

Quote:
LOL no, but fat, protein, zinc, iron and b12 are all essential parts of the human diet and meat just happens to be a convenient source of all those things. You don't need to eat fruit, either, but wouldn't that suck?
You can get all of those things from plants too. Where do you think animals get B12 from? Its from bacteria that is on the plants they eat. We can eat those same plants if the soil is healthy so it can be argued that supplementation is controversial at best.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,767,604 times
Y'all are both ridiculous. You could live without fruit or you could live without grains or you could live without meat or you could live without dairy or you could live without vegetables or you could live without nuts. Just about any category of foods could be eliminated and replaced by other sources. You'll have to come up with more than personal anecdotes to convince anyone of why your way of eating is the right way of eating, because for every healthy raw vegan, you can find a healthy person who subsists mainly on Cheetos and eggos.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,022,485 times
Quote:
LOL no, but fat, protein, zinc, iron and b12 are all essential parts of the human diet and meat just happens to be a convenient source of all those things.
The fact that meat has some nutrients has little to do with my point, you are suggesting that there are some people (namely yourself) that need meat in their diet....yet there is no biological reason for that.

Quote:
You'll have to come up with more than personal anecdotes to convince anyone of why your way of eating is the right way of eating, because for every healthy raw vegan, you can find a healthy person who subsists mainly on Cheetos and eggos.
There is a massive amount of research that demonstrates that plant-based diets that consist of little or no meat are superior to meat heavy diets.....you just have to be willing to read it.

And no, you're not going to find healthy people that subsist on Cheetos and eggos.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
When people say these sorts of its due to one of two things 1.) A major dietary deficiency, 2.) its psychological. There is no reason, biologically, that your body would need animal protein and become "starving, tired and miserable".

There are not some people that "need meat" and others that don't......meat is not an essential nutrient in the human diet.
Humans are designed to be omnivores, not herbivores.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,796,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We were designed, huh? By who, the flying spaghetti monster? We are infinitely closer to herbivores than omnivores. We have at least 4 times as many teeth for eating plants as we do for eating meat. We barely evolved to consume animal products and still a huge portion of our planet cannot eat them without ill health effects.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
How do you figure? For millions of years our ancestors, and most of our closest relatives, have consumed herbivorous diets (with the inclusion of insects). It is only somewhat recently, evolutionary wise, that our ancestors started to eat some amounts of animal products....and only very recently (modern times) that we've been eating large amounts of animal products. So, which diet is more "natural" for humans? The one that our ancestors have been consuming for millions of years....or the one that we've been consuming only recently? The ability to digest animal products is ancestral to all mammals, so you can't use this as evidence that people are "meant" to eat animal products.

The human body is not well "designed" to consume animal products, for example we don't deal well with dietary cholesterol, we don't deal well with the long-chain saturated fats found in animal products, etc...on the other hand actual omnivores (i.e., dogs) are fine with this stuff. Furthermore, we don't have any adaptions that make us good at eating animal products...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,688,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
We were designed, huh? By who, the flying spaghetti monster? We are infinitely closer to herbivores than omnivores. We have at least 4 times as many teeth for eating plants as we do for eating meat. We barely evolved to consume animal products and still a huge portion of our planet cannot eat them without ill health effects.
Regardless of how "close" we are to being herbivores, regardless of how many more plant teeth than we have meat teeth, regardless of how evolved we have come - barely or otherwise - regardless of how many people are incapable of processing meat (which is not a huge portion - it's relatively insignificant in comparison to the total world population of humans who have their permanent teeth grown in) - we are still omnivores.

We might be "this close" to not being omnivores. But close doesn't count, except in hand grenades and spit.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Regardless of how "close" we are to being herbivores, regardless of how many more plant teeth than we have meat teeth, regardless of how evolved we have come - barely or otherwise - regardless of how many people are incapable of processing meat (which is not a huge portion - it's relatively insignificant in comparison to the total world population of humans who have their permanent teeth grown in) - we are still omnivores.
This is funny, so basically you want to ignore all the facts, and just repeatedly assert what you wish to believe about the human diet.

And not that you care about actual science, but the defining lines between herbivores, omnivores and carnivores are all rough. A herbivore is not an animal that eats 100% plants, even cows consume a small amount of animal food (e.g., they chew on bones). The distinction between an herbivore, omnivore and carnivore is a matter of how their digestive systems are set-up to deal with foods. Therefore, questions about how the human digestive system are structured are critical to determining whether we are or are not herbivores....

If you compare the human digestive system to herbivores (non-ruminant herbivores) you find many similarities, when you compare it to omnivores you find a lot of differences. But these classifications are very general and aren't particular useful, the human digestive system is built around starch consumption.....we are starchivores. We can efficiently digest huge amounts of starch, more so than the vast majority of other animals, and transform it into our bodies primary fuel source. On the other hand, we aren't well adapted to meat consumption, we can't digest cellulose, and we even have a limited ability to deal with fructose.

Last edited by user_id; 07-24-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss