Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM

659 posts, read 1,012,518 times

Advertisements

I want to change the way I eat, but I want to choose one that I can live with and lose weight. My doctor is really big on the paleo diet and speaks all over the country. He swears this is the only true way to live insisting that people have inflammation from the foods they eat such as wheat which in turn causes weight gain. I am not a big meat eater and I love my carbs.

Vegetarian seems like a nice option but again it seems restricting as well. I tried calorie counting and the baby weight is not coming off, as a mter of fact the weight came on after my 3rd baby not during. Seems so odd, but I have been tested for everything. I never had to lose weight my whole life so it's really getting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
When calorie counting, make sure you are accurately measuring your portions (and not guessing). A food scale is great for this.

Everyone's body chemistry is different, but eating more veggies and more protein helps with satiety and makes it easier to stay within your calorie target. Some people are sensitive to starchy carbs, and limiting or eliminating them makes a huge difference. For other people it matters less.

But don't forget, you are making a permanent change. Not a temporary one if you want to keep the weight off, so you need to choose something you can stick to forever.

For me, more protein and veggies and less starchy carbs (around 2 servings a day) seems to be effective.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Concentrate on eating whole fresh foods as much as possible. Eat lean proteins and good fats like olive oil, avocados and nuts. Eat oily fish such a salmon. Limit sugar and simple carbs as much as possible and eat whole grains and legumes instead. Eat lots of veggies and some fruit and drink enough water.
No need to eliminate any foods groups, just learn to eat foods that are healthy and satisfying. Make sure exercise is playing a part in your life as well. Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Incorporate strength training as well. The weight will come off. But be realistic in your expectations. One to two pounds a week is a healthy amount to lose.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM

My doctor gave me phentermine but I am afraid to take it. For me personaly, I am one of those people that do better if I have a set menu, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hard to find a diet that has that.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,039,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
My doctor gave me phentermine but I am afraid to take it. For me personaly, I am one of those people that do better if I have a set menu, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hard to find a diet that has that.
You can easily do that yourself. Write up your daily/weekly menu and then pre-cook some items, pre-measure others. You can make up your meals ahead of time and just heat them as needed.

I will make a batch of stuff I can eat, and then put it in tupperware or freeze it in individual servings so it's ready to go when I need it.

In the beginning it might take some effort, but once you get a routine going and a few menus built it's very easy.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,035,115 times
The paleo diet has little scientific foundation. There are no long-term studies showing that its effectiveness...let alone safety. The claim that its duplicating the diet of paleolithic hominids is just outlandish. On the other hand, a plant-based whole foods diet has been shown to effectively lower your risk to numerous diseases and promotion a healthy weight. You pick....

But if you're looking for a minor departure from the typical American diet, you know one that doesn't restrict what you can eat, well.....you're not going to find it.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The paleo diet has little scientific foundation. There are no long-term studies showing that its effectiveness...let alone safety. The claim that its duplicating the diet of paleolithic hominids is just outlandish. On the other hand, a plant-based whole foods diet has been shown to effectively lower your risk to numerous diseases and promotion a healthy weight. You pick....

But if you're looking for a minor departure from the typical American diet, you know one that doesn't restrict what you can eat, well.....you're not going to find it.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I have to agree with you, the paleo diet high fat low carb just sounds wrong! I watched videos of these people eating green beans with a pound of butter.

My doctor swears by it, but even his office staff won't do the diet. lol

Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM

326 posts, read 948,107 times
To say there's little research on a primal or ancestral diet is absurd.

Check out the research by people such as Loren Cordain, PHD and Robb Wolf. A great place to start is with Mark Sisson who is a proponent of a Primal lifestyle. Welcome to Mark’s Daily Apple | Mark's Daily Apple
Another person to check out is Dr William Davis, a cardiologist, who does a remarkable job explaining how to eat in order to gain and maintain optimal health.

A book that really lays it out is Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes
Another great read into the world of Primal is Primal Body Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas who is a certified nutritional therapist. This is her website: Primal Body-Primal Mind | Beyond The Paleo Diet

I live mainly a primal lifestyle and have never been healthier or happier.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
Cordain - Degree in Health Sciences and Exercise Physiology. Not bad, but not really focused on nutrition either. Many of his assertions have been discredited as well.

Wolf - Student of Cordain. Don't know much about him beyond that though.

Sisson - I've pointed out things he has got wrong here before. I've never been impressed with him.

Taubes - No formal health/medical training and another one who has been refuted time and time again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss