Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,569,130 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this is my first time in this forum but I think I'll be venturing here more often now looking for advice and tips. I've finally made up my mind to start a diet today and I'm thinking I need something a little drastic as a kick-start so I won't get discouraged. I went to a local produce stand and bought organic vegetables and some apples and blueberries. The apples are bad so I won't do that anymore but I chopped up some squash, zucchini and onion for one pot and snapped some fresh green beans for another pot and they're both cooking now. I ate cantaloupe for breakfast and tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch but I'm still hungry.

I have a friend who is "juicing" and has been for about 3 months and has lost a significant amount of weight but I decided I just can't do that, one because it's green and smelly, and two because I feel I need that fix of actually eating something. It also is very expensive to juice, it takes so many greens and veggies to make one cup of juice so I decided to just EAT the veggies and fruit but that's it. No meat and dairy for a while, maybe a couple of months or as long as I can stand it.

Anyone else ever tried this? Did it work or did you constantly stay hungry? Any suggestions as to how to "dress up" or jazz up recipes without adding fat and calories? Thanks for your input.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,990,375 times
You will always be hungry and eventually unhealthy unless you add some protein and fat to your diet....you will also have more energy and lose weight faster if you eat a balanced diet. Your diet is unhealthy and potentially dangerous.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM

How is vegetables and fruit unhealthy? I might throw some nuts on my salads and cook my veggies with some butter to add fat and protein, but vegetarians do this all the time. I don't plan on doing this long term so I just don't see a problem with it, just need to see some fast results to keep going. I'll be adding some yogurt too to dress up the fruit but you don't have to have meat or dairy to live.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,636,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
How is vegetables and fruit unhealthy? I might throw some nuts on my salads and cook my veggies with some butter to add fat and protein, but vegetarians do this all the time. I don't plan on doing this long term so I just don't see a problem with it, just need to see some fast results to keep going. I'll be adding some yogurt too to dress up the fruit but you don't have to have meat or dairy to live.
You don't need dairy or meat to live, you're absolutely right. But you do need fiber, protein, fat, and carbohydrates to live. Most of what you described that you've eaten..

is water and sugar.

You need foods that have more nutritional value than what you're currently eating. Have spinach and mushrooms for protein. Have nuts for fat and protein. Have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with some dried cranberries or raisins (or both) and a teaspoon of brown sugar or maple syrup.

Have some peanutbutter, some peas, a few carrots, berries of all sorts, a little watermelon, maybe some tofu if you like it, or think you can learn to like it. How about eggplant and avocado.

Vegetarian eating isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. Most vegetarians aren't trying to lose weight, nor do they need to lose weight. But the best place to go around here, to get advice on -how- to be a healthy vegetarian, is the vegetarian forum in the "Food" section of the City-Data forum.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM

Ilene - you need to read some nutrition books and check with your doctor - you need to learn what a healthy diet consists of. AnonChick is absolutely correct.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,008,876 times
Quote:
Hello all, this is my first time in this forum but I think I'll be venturing here more often now looking for advice and tips. I've finally made up my mind to start a diet today and I'm thinking I need something a little drastic as a kick-start so I won't get discouraged. I went to a local produce stand and bought organic vegetables and some apples and blueberries. The apples are bad so I won't do that anymore but I chopped up some squash, zucchini and onion for one pot and snapped some fresh green beans for another pot and they're both cooking now. I ate cantaloupe for breakfast and tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch but I'm still hungry.

I have a friend who is "juicing" and has been for about 3 months and has lost a significant amount of weight but I decided I just can't do that, one because it's green and smelly, and two because I feel I need that fix of actually eating something. It also is very expensive to juice, it takes so many greens and veggies to make one cup of juice so I decided to just EAT the veggies and fruit but that's it. No meat and dairy for a while, maybe a couple of months or as long as I can stand it.

Anyone else ever tried this? Did it work or did you constantly stay hungry? Any suggestions as to how to "dress up" or jazz up recipes without adding fat and calories? Thanks for your input.
Ilene there is a wealth of information out there. You need to connect with people who support the dietary decisions you have made. Most people eat the standard American diet and have no knowledge of other options.

I believe eating vegetables and fruits exclusively is very healthy if you know which ones to eat so that you get your full complement of nutrients. There is PLENTY of protein available in the plant kingdom, but you have to educate yourself or else you will experience deficiencies. Just so you know, a cheeseburger contains 14.57 grams of protein in 286 calories, or about .05 grams of protein per calorie; a serving of spinach has 2.97 grams of protein in 23 calories, or .12 grams of protein per calorie; lentils have .07 grams per calorie.)

As far as fat, avocados and olive oil are both good sources as are nuts and seeds.

Actually, eating more raw fruits and vegetables is a very good idea as well. Not only will you get better nutrients but you won't feel as hungry either.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,636,153 times
You can't compare spinach with a cheeseburger. That's just crazy talk.

Also what source do you have for those numbers?

According to nutritiondata, a serving of spinach is 1 cup, approx. 30 grams, and has 1 gram of protein and 7 calories. A person trying to substitute a cheeseburger for a cup of spinach is likely to starve himself to death, before gaining any particular health benefit from the switch.

Also according to nutritiondata, a hamburger patty made from ground chuck, at 85 grams (1/5 pound, before cooking) is 230 calories with 22 grams protein. Of course it's also loaded with fat (over 50% of the calories, and 23% of your daily recommended amount), and is high in cholesterol. Hamburger - is not a diet food.

But neither is a single serving of spinach with nothing on it; it's a starvation food, by itself. So one item will give you a heart attack but plenty of protein, and another item will starve you to death with barely any protein at all. No comparison, at all. They are studies in contrast, not comparison.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM

I can see that this thread was a mistake. Dear lord.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Ilene - keep eating your fruits and vegetables. Substitute Greek Yogurt for your regular yogurt (less carbs because there is much less sugar) and less calories), do have some protein with each meal - small chicken breast or piece of fish (broiled or baked), 1/2 cup of beans, 2 T peanut butter, 1 ounce of low fat cheese, egg white omelet, low-fat cottage cheese, a few nuts...just so you add some protein with what you are already eating - you'll not feel so hungry and you will be healthy too and lose weight. It is important to have 2 snacks a day too - something small and tasty like 1/2 an apple with a bit of peanut butter. You are more likely to stay on your diet and be successful at losing weight if you aren't starving yourself.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,763,214 times
Quote:

First off trying to lose weight fast will always backfire on you. You did not gain the weight fast so why should it come off fast? Concentrate on a variety of whole fresh foods. You should be shooting for 1 to 2 lbs a week loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.