Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go to Weight Watchers Online and sign up there, they have a special going right now and you can track everything online for daily food, beverage and activities. They also have real food without bizarre ingredients that you eat, the program is rated one of the best, it is easy to use the online tools which can be used on your cell phone as well as your computer or tablet, it is a good solid eating plan that teaches you what to eat for proper nutrition as well as snacks. No meetings to attend unless you want to and you can "cheat" on daily points if you want but you are only cheating yourself. The price is also very reasonable and every food you eat can be purchased at your local market.
Weight Watchers and a paleo way of eating are two very, very different things.

I agree with the Mark's Daily Apple resource for paleo. It is true that you can be as strict or as lenient as you want -- find what works best for you. In the end, who cares what you call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
I just started doing Paleo this week as a challenge with some people from my bootcamp class. Our plan is to do this for the entire month of January. I started on Tuesday and already dropped 8 pounds which I suspect a lot of it is water. So far this is what I am doing but it's a mixed bag:

Breakfast:grapefruit, banana, apple and almonds (I don't eat all of this at once, I spread it out over 2-3 hours)

Lunch:chicken breast with vegetables (carrots, cabbage and today I added green peas)

Dinner:repeat of lunch

Tonight I made baked salmon and some sauteed kale. I also made chicken cacciatore but I threw in a lot of veggies.

On this "version" of Paleo, I am not eating legumes, dairy, grains or breads although I think it's kinda weird not to have legumes I figure I can try it for a month.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go to Weight Watchers Online and sign up there, they have a special going right now and you can track everything online for daily food, beverage and activities. They also have real food without bizarre ingredients that you eat, the program is rated one of the best, it is easy to use the online tools which can be used on your cell phone as well as your computer or tablet, it is a good solid eating plan that teaches you what to eat for proper nutrition as well as snacks. No meetings to attend unless you want to and you can "cheat" on daily points if you want but you are only cheating yourself. The price is also very reasonable and every food you eat can be purchased at your local market.
Weight Watchers is not even close to Paleo. Its COMPLETELY different and not even nearly as effective (i.e., healthy) as a Paleo diet.

OP, there are lots of good paleo sites on the net. Just google and you'll see. Here are a couple of good ones:

http://www.paleoplan.com/recipes/ - good easy to follow recipies.

http://stevesoriginal.com/ - Great kits. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
If effective you mean losing weight quickly , then yes Paleo and its many incarnations is a quicker way to lose weight. Is it better? Depends on if you can keep up the paleo plan forever. If you cant you will gain back what you lost. WW gives you tools to eat from all the food groups so you never have to, 'go off the plan' because you are sick of not eating certain types of foods.
Paleois the 'flavor of the moment' diet. WW has been around forever because it works.
As far as which diet is healthier there is no proof or documented peer reviewed science that says the Paleo diet is healthier. That said you can be healthy while on Paleo and you will lose weight. It really just depends on what works for the individual.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 01-04-2013 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
I'm 26 days in for Paleo and have lost over 20 pounds this month..not too shabby!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If effective you mean losing weight quickly , then yes Paleo and its many incarnations is a quicker way to lose weight. Is it better? Depends on if you can keep up the paleo plan forever. If you cant you will gain back what you lost. WW gives you tools to eat from all the food groups so you never have to, 'go off the plan' because you are sick of not eating certain types of foods.
Paleois the 'flavor of the moment' diet. WW has been around forever because it works.
Paleo has actually been around for decades, but has just recently become more popular. I personally have no plans to go back to eating grains or most dairy ever again. I don't have a gluten intolerance or anything like that but that stuff really screws with my stomach when I eat it now. I had some chicken wings with seasoning (no sauce) last night and dipped them in a bit of blue cheese, and even with that small amount of dairy my stomach was upset. Grains also make me bloated and I was constantly hungry before switching to paleo. Now I am eating plenty of protein and healthy fats instead of a bowl of pasta that won't even fill me up. I don't plan to be super strict with it though, I cook with butter instead of ghee or coconut oil, eat a bit of dark chocolate every day, and will probably eat beans and hard cheese occasionally, and maybe some white potatoes, but I don't feel I am in any way limiting myself or missing any foods. I can make a huge plate with tons of veggies, a pork chop, and a yam with a pat of butter and it is more flavorful, healthy, and satisfying than a big bowl of alfredo pasta and bread.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
cooking paleo, well just cook!! Dont have dairy or wheat ,grains, corn and sugar. Use oil olive or coconut and there is your paleo cooking. In otherwords just about any meat or veggie you cook , you just made a paleo meal! Chicken and spinach. There is a paleo recipie!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss