U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM

36,393 posts, read 27,555,164 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I've been out of town, but I do have my results - I am still in my plateau, but I know why - because I haven't been exercising and because I've been traveling. Honestly, I'm lucky that I haven't GAINED weight - which I haven't, and WW has helped me to maintain while traveling and eating out so much.

But I'm back home, back on the band wagon, and went to yoga and then worked in the yard today, so...I expect to see some results now.

Though I was tracking my foods pretty well even when traveling, I was consistently going over my daily points by 4 or 5 points each day - so at least I know what my maintenance points will be when I do lose the last 17 pounds!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Update - got on the scales and I have now officially lost weight - another pound! So now I am only 8 pounds away from the weight I was when I got married (definitely lose-able!) - which looked pretty dang good - and only about 16 pounds from my ideal weight. WOOHOOO BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,367,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Update - got on the scales and I have now officially lost weight - another pound! So now I am only 8 pounds away from the weight I was when I got married (definitely lose-able!) - which looked pretty dang good - and only about 16 pounds from my ideal weight. WOOHOOO BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!

Will keep the weight off for the rest of your life?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM

4,012 posts, read 5,120,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The ONLY thing that will keep the weight off for the rest of ones life is sheer determination by the person. Change your lifestyle, reset goals, become active... its a whole life changing experience. Diets will help you get to your goal, the rest is personal motivation.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The ONLY thing that will keep the weight off for the rest of ones life is sheer determination by the person.
Sounds so inviting. Determined not to eat that cake. Determined not to eat those french fries.

That's living man.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Sounds so inviting. Determined not to eat that cake. Determined not to eat those french fries.

That's living man.
Your choice. There is more to life than eating french fries and cake. If you want to be bitter because you want to eat those foods and yet still remain overweight that is your problem.
Sounds to me you want to make excuses instead of putting in the work. And yes, losing weight takes work. Its NOT EASY. No one ever said it was. But the benefits from being a healthy weight are so great both physically and mentally making those sacrifices seem small in the long run.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your choice. There is more to life than eating french fries and cake. If you want to be bitter because you want to eat those foods and yet still remain overweight that is your problem.
Sounds to me you want to make excuses instead of putting in the work. And yes, losing weight takes work. Its NOT EASY. No one ever said it was. But the benefits from being a healthy weight are so great both physically and mentally making those sacrifices seem small in the long run.
Putting in the work is almost useless for losing weight. Few people lose weight putting in the work. they get healthier but few lose weight. The eat more because they burned more. If a person who works out regularly suddenly quit working out, he would gain little to no weight. he'd be less hungry and he'd eat less.

by the way, I swim 2000 yards three times a week and I play full court basketball twice a week- against guys in their 20s and 30s.
Body fat 19%
51 years old

I have nothing to gain by allegedly making excuses. I am posting because I really think I am correct. This forum is just a science project for me.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:

That's living man.

I can and do eat cake - and fries - when I want them.

I just don't eat 1/4 of a cake, or large fries.

Portion control, man - that's the key.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
About 14 years ago, I began experiencing some significant health problems. Consequently, I gained fifty pounds in about a four year period, which was shocking and distressing to me because I had not previously had a weight problem.

I lost fifty pounds about ten years ago after the health issue was resolved, and kept 40 of it off for 8 years. Then I tore my achilles tendon and gained about 15 pounds due to being in a cast or boot for nearly a year. This year I have been able to return to my full activity level, and have lost 17 pounds and have about 8 more to go. I'm happy about that. I've lost the weight slowly but steadily.

I can keep it off but it's one day at a time - I didn't gain it overnight and I won't lose it overnight. And guess what - I wouldn't gain it BACK overnight either. Weight gain, weight loss, and weight maintenance boils down to little choices, every day.

I had to change my entire LIFESTYLE, Charles. I had to change my MINDSET. I had to decide whether I wanted to be pudgy the rest of my life, or be fit. I chose to be fit. I changed my entire diet and my expectations about how much I needed to eat in order to feel "satisfied."

I had to really grasp and understand the difference between "being hungry" and "wanting to eat." Sometimes the two aren't related at all!

Now, I keep track of what I eat daily. I plan my day, so that if I know I'm eating out or have a special occasion later, I eat lightly through the day so I don't blow my calories out of the water that evening.

Occasionally - about once a week - I eat something decadent, just for the hell of it. But like I said, I don't eat a POUND of it - I have learned the beauty of moderation.

We can't eat like we're 20 when we're 50 - that's just the truth of it, and we may as well accept it and move forward. There's a lot more to life than cake and french fries.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM

I also eat cake and french fries too on occasion. In fact no food is off limits. But I have put in the work and still do on keeping myself at a healthy weight. I made the initial sacrifice years ago and now I can eat what I want in moderation as long as I keep up with exercising, which I love so its a no brainer.
Charles I really do not understand why you are posting on this board. You offer no encouragement or advice. You just whine about people not being able to keep off the weight. Its true, most people will revert back to old bad habits. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. Honestly if all you have to offer is negativity you should find some other place to post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss