U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,234,912 times

Advertisements

I did weight Watchers years ago and lost 70 pounds. Loved the educational part of it.

I wasn't so much into the weighing at meetings, and didn't need to make friends and share recipes -- but I loved hearing about new healthy products and foods that others had tried that I could look for in the supermarket.

I went to two --somtimes three meetings a week. Each leader -- although they were presenting the same general topic per week. Gave their presentation in a different way, said different words, gave a different tip, etc. It was great.

For example, when asking if people had any new foods or products that worked for them, that they'd like to share about -- one leader actually encouraged people to bring in the empty box, or a cover -- if they could -- so that not only would people have the name -- but actually know what to LOOK FOR in the store. That was just a little thing, but it helped. And some other leaders just said tell us about it. They had people describe the product -- but seeing the box or canister helped.

Only ONE leader suggested some nutrition magazines -- Nutrition Action Newsletter -- which I still get over ten years later. It's by The Center for Science in the Public Interest. It's the group that reviews movie theater popcorn, Chinese food. etc and tells whether its good or bad for you. They rate products for nutritional value etc. Their newsletter is lay oriented -- and just enough useful infor without being like their presenting a study with big words.

Also one leader never asked who lost weight and how much, and handed out ribbons....I guess if you told her you were due a ribbon and showed her you diary she'd give you one. But she never openly in class made a big deal at all of who lost how much weight. But she said something that stick with me and that I say to this day -- "You can't say you want "A," and do "B." You can't say you want to lose weight and not put some kind of effort into it. Be honest about how much effort you're willing to put forth. Many overweigh people jump form diet to diet. She said give this a serious, reasonable -- what ever that is for you -- try. That really hit home.

I loved going to more than one meeting a week and hearing from more than one source. it reinforced so much of the information, and I also got the different kinds of helpful tips at every meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Status: "Don't pick up anything you can't put down." (set 19 days ago)

17,268 posts, read 8,550,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I did weight Watchers years ago and lost 70 pounds. Loved the educational part of it.

I wasn't so much into the weighing at meetings, and didn't need to make friends and share recipes -- but I loved hearing about new healthy products and foods that others had tried that I could look for in the supermarket.

I went to two --somtimes three meetings a week. Each leader -- although they were presenting the same general topic per week. Gave their presentation in a different way, said different words, gave a different tip, etc. It was great.

For example, when asking if people had any new foods or products that worked for them, that they'd like to share about -- one leader actually encouraged people to bring in the empty box, or a cover -- if they could -- so that not only would people have the name -- but actually know what to LOOK FOR in the store. That was just a little thing, but it helped. And some other leaders just said tell us about it. They had people describe the product -- but seeing the box or canister helped.

Only ONE leader suggested some nutrition magazines -- Nutrition Action Newsletter -- which I still get over ten years later. It's by The Center for Science in the Public Interest. It's the group that reviews movie theater popcorn, Chinese food. etc and tells whether its good or bad for you. They rate products for nutritional value etc. Their newsletter is lay oriented -- and just enough useful infor without being like their presenting a study with big words.

Also one leader never asked who lost weight and how much, and handed out ribbons....I guess if you told her you were due a ribbon and showed her you diary she'd give you one. But she never openly in class made a big deal at all of who lost how much weight. But she said something that stick with me and that I say to this day -- "You can't say you want "A," and do "B." You can't say you want to lose weight and not put some kind of effort into it. Be honest about how much effort you're willing to put forth. Many overweigh people jump form diet to diet. She said give this a serious, reasonable -- what ever that is for you -- try. That really hit home.

I loved going to more than one meeting a week and hearing from more than one source. it reinforced so much of the information, and I also got the different kinds of helpful tips at every meeting.
Good advice - thank you!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM

266 posts, read 213,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Sort of but I found an app on my iPhone/iPad that has much more information regarding calories and nutrition for real food than Weight Watchers did. I cook all the time and don't usually use frozen meals or go out to restaurants a lot and it seemed to me that Weight Watchers has mainly those types of foods on their list.

Good luck with your program.

Weight Watchers deals <only> wirh *real* food and if you join the program all that information is available. Yes, they have frozen food available, but I see that for occasional convenience. I NEVER used them. neve go to restaurants either, but if you do, WW will teach you how to make your way safely through those minefields.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM

19,404 posts, read 11,563,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
Weight Watchers deals <only> wirh *real* food and if you join the program all that information is available. Yes, they have frozen food available, but I see that for occasional convenience. I NEVER used them. neve go to restaurants either, but if you do, WW will teach you how to make your way safely through those minefields.

I have lost 500 pounds WITHOUT weight watchers, jenny craig or any type of pills, fasting or surgery so I do NOT need to be taught how to make my way safely through the minefields. Been there, done that and did it ON MY OWN.

My point in considering the weight watchers online is a friend has been following and she asked me to support her and I joined to help her along. I am saying on weight watchers online that I have looked at the list was MORE frozen prepared dishes and dining out and LESS real food as far as points, calories, and nutritional information.

I fitness app I found is for me a daily accounting of what I actually put in my body. I at one point in my life weighed 650+ pounds, I now weight 165 pounds and have kept off all of the weight it took me 10 years to lose, the slow, safe, healthy way with moderation and a complete lifestyle change without the help of weight loss programs, doctors, pills, or anything other than MY OWN choice to change.

It was simply MY observation on what I had found to that point on the "Points Tracker" food list for Weight Watchers Online.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 8,417,752 times
I am currently on WW lost 54 lbs so far and have about 20 more to go then I will be at goal. I love it!!! I also make alot of the recipes from E-tools and would be happy to share which ones are my favorite. I have done WW on and off since I am 13, I am 41 now. But this time I am very determend not to get back to what I looked like in 2010.I joined in February 2011. I love that I can eat real food and still be on program. This new WW is the best IMO. I have the points calculator too which I use at the grocery store. I have also gone from a size 18 to a 12.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have lost 500 pounds WITHOUT weight watchers, jenny craig or any type of pills, fasting or surgery so I do NOT need to be taught how to make my way safely through the minefields. Been there, done that and did it ON MY OWN.

My point in considering the weight watchers online is a friend has been following and she asked me to support her and I joined to help her along. I am saying on weight watchers online that I have looked at the list was MORE frozen prepared dishes and dining out and LESS real food as far as points, calories, and nutritional information.

I fitness app I found is for me a daily accounting of what I actually put in my body. I at one point in my life weighed 650+ pounds, I now weight 165 pounds and have kept off all of the weight it took me 10 years to lose, the slow, safe, healthy way with moderation and a complete lifestyle change without the help of weight loss programs, doctors, pills, or anything other than MY OWN choice to change.

It was simply MY observation on what I had found to that point on the "Points Tracker" food list for Weight Watchers Online.
First of all, congrats on your weight loss! You must be very proud - and should be. And you saved your own life most likely - or at least probably saved yourself from a miserable existence.

You are an unusual person though. Most people need a support system in order to make and maintain lifestyle changes, and often a support GROUP and a team of educated counselors can make a big difference. I just got back in from my WW weekly meeting tonight, and I lost 3.3 pounds (for a grand total of 6.8 pounds!) and I am psyched. I feel in control of my situation and my choices.

I am using the WW points tracker online and on my phone. So far, I haven't had ANY trouble finding my foods and activities in the lists, and tracking what I eat, and I don't eat hardly any frozen foods. I fix most of my foods from scratch - and I have some sort of weird tastes, considering I am into organic foods and especially Asian foods.

So far, so good!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am currently on WW lost 54 lbs so far and have about 20 more to go then I will be at goal. I love it!!! I also make alot of the recipes from E-tools and would be happy to share which ones are my favorite. I have done WW on and off since I am 13, I am 41 now. But this time I am very determend not to get back to what I looked like in 2010.I joined in February 2011. I love that I can eat real food and still be on program. This new WW is the best IMO. I have the points calculator too which I use at the grocery store. I have also gone from a size 18 to a 12.
WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!! Congrats on your amazing weight loss and I would love to know your favorite recipes. I do a lot of cooking at home.

I have only been on it for two weeks but I've lost nearly 7 pounds so far, and I am totally sold on the tracker online and on my phone. It's so easy! And I love the new plan (this is my second try at WW - the first try ten or so years ago was a complete fiasco).

I have two goals -my acceptable goal (or, as I like to call it, my REALISTIC goal) and what I weighed in high school. There's a ten pound difference. I have 27 pounds to go to reach my first goal, and 27 to reach my stretch goal. I got this!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM

266 posts, read 213,357 times
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Yoda

Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM

11,449 posts, read 8,417,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, congrats on your weight loss! You must be very proud - and should be. And you saved your own life most likely - or at least probably saved yourself from a miserable existence.

You are an unusual person though. Most people need a support system in order to make and maintain lifestyle changes, and often a support GROUP and a team of educated counselors can make a big difference. I just got back in from my WW weekly meeting tonight, and I lost 3.3 pounds (for a grand total of 6.8 pounds!) and I am psyched. I feel in control of my situation and my choices.

I am using the WW points tracker online and on my phone. So far, I haven't had ANY trouble finding my foods and activities in the lists, and tracking what I eat, and I don't eat hardly any frozen foods. I fix most of my foods from scratch - and I have some sort of weird tastes, considering I am into organic foods and especially Asian foods.

So far, so good!
I love these recipes that can be found on E-tools
Crab cakes
Ginger Lime chicken
Zucchini Fries
Balsamic chicken and mushrooms
creamy chicken and mushroom orzo

Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Update - thanks to WW advice, I INCREASED my daily calorie count, and have lost 9 pounds in three weeks!

Actually, when I logged my weight, I got a message that said, "You are losing weight too quickly." OMG, that was a trip! I am considering upping my daily allowance by a point or two.

Question for WW peeps and other "successful losers" - do you think three pounds a week is too fast a weight loss? I really, REALLY want to get it off and KEEP it off - but I also really, really LOVE the lifestyle changes I've made over the past 4 or 5 months, switching to very healthy food choices and getting off refined foods and useless carbs like white bread. I am to a point now where I am no longer hungry during the day and know what to eat to keep me going (I eat several pieces of fruit a day in between meals and that seems to totally do the trick as far as keeping cravings completely at bay).

Should I increase my daily point/calorie allowance? I'm eating 26-28 points a day (my WW target is 28 points) and for you WW people out there - I do not tap into my 49 point allowance, unless I do something very strenuous physically, like mow my yard. I'm going to post this question on the main forum as well. Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss