U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Wine Country
3,994 posts, read 5,101,640 times
Reputation: 6297

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are the second person I've seen post today (the other was on another forum I visit) who has lost weight on WW! Congratulations.

I have done WW in the past, but I was always hungry, to the point where I couldn't even sleep well because I was so hungry all the time. How do you deal with that? It just isn't enough food. I know they say to stuff yourself with veggies, but that gets kind of gross after a while, and it really just makes you feel sick, not full.
You have to pick foods that are healthy and satiating. Lean proteins, whole grains and healthy oils. Avocados and nuts are great. Have a hard boiled egg. I used guacamole for the spread on my sandwiches. At some point you have to realize that you have eaten enough and the hunger is psychological. Drink a glass of water or go exercise. Do yoga or take a walk or go for a short run. Anything to take your mind off of food. Stay away from simple carbs, because they will make you crave more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,438,212 times
Reputation: 49311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are the second person I've seen post today (the other was on another forum I visit) who has lost weight on WW! Congratulations.

I have done WW in the past, but I was always hungry, to the point where I couldn't even sleep well because I was so hungry all the time. How do you deal with that? It just isn't enough food. I know they say to stuff yourself with veggies, but that gets kind of gross after a while, and it really just makes you feel sick, not full.
WW doesn't care when you eat your "big meal." I can't stand to go to bed hungry, so I always leave some points for close to bedtime - and I eat my big meal of the day in the evening, sometimes as late as 8 pm. I am still losing weight regularly.

I am not a big breakfast eater, so I don't "waste" my WW points on breakfast. I may eat a boiled egg or have a smoothie late in the morning - which is very helpful when it comes to not overeating at lunch.

WW gives you bonus points - and you can also "earn" points with physical activity - for instance mowing the yard for an hour will give me about five extra points - which is about 250 calories extra.

WW has changed it's system up - to include more education about food choices, more flexibility, etc. The biggest thing for me to learn has been PORTION CONTROL (I was amazed at just how much food I really had been eating), and ways to substitute less fattening choices in place of more fattening choices.

I can honestly, honestly say that I have not been hungry on the WW plan. When I get a little bit hungry between meals, I grab a clementine or a banana rather than a Snicker bar.

I actually had a chocolate bar in the house (I think my husband brought it home) and it lasted me for over a week. I broke off a square every day or so and ate it - and that was all I wanted. I lost 3.4 pounds that week.

Choices and portion control. It's a learning process - but WW gives you the tools. You can even track everything on your smart phone when you're out running around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,438,212 times
Reputation: 49311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I've had great success on WW in the past, but I just can't afford it at the moment.

I'm not working and just getting fatter and fatter...
Try this free site:

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

It's very similar to the WW site. Give yourself about 1400 - 1500 calories a day (I couldn't lose weight as quickly on 1200 a day). That is similar to WW 28 points per day.

I am not working either. You have a great opportunity to actually become more active. MAKE yourself do 30 minutes to an hour every day of pretty strenuous physical activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,438,212 times
Reputation: 49311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You have to pick foods that are healthy and satiating. Lean proteins, whole grains and healthy oils. Avocados and nuts are great. Have a hard boiled egg. I used guacamole for the spread on my sandwiches. At some point you have to realize that you have eaten enough and the hunger is psychological. Drink a glass of water or go exercise. Do yoga or take a walk or go for a short run. Anything to take your mind off of food. Stay away from simple carbs, because they will make you crave more.
This is EXCELLENT advice, and where WW education really comes in handy. Sometimes people do not realize how satiating lean proteins and healthy oils are.

The other day I was stuck with my parents going to Waffle House. I ordered a two egg Spanish omelette and whole wheat toast and grits.

I ate half the omelette, 1/2 a piece of toast and most of the grits (about 1/3 a cup). Suddenly I realized that I was completely full and very satisfied, and I asked the waitress to take my plate away.

Six months ago I would have eaten all that - and a piece of sausage.

Small, daily changes add up over time. Or rather - subtract over time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
15,739 posts, read 17,713,844 times
Reputation: 15026
The only time I get really hungry on WW is right before I get my period. I crave sweets and salt. I don't pig out on them but I do eat something both sweet and salty even if it's WW friendly. I have never found I am hungry on this new plan. In fact some nights I have at least 6 points left and I do not even have a night time snack. I fill up on more fuits then I do veggies though. Everyone is different I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,438,212 times
Reputation: 49311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The only time I get really hungry on WW is right before I get my period. I crave sweets and salt. I don't pig out on them but I do eat something both sweet and salty even if it's WW friendly. I have never found I am hungry on this new plan. In fact some nights I have at least 6 points left and I do not even have a night time snack. I fill up on more fuits then I do veggies though. Everyone is different I guess.
Right but that's the great thing about the plan. It allows different approaches and we can find what works best for us.

I often end the day with several points "available" myself. I am not going to eat something just for the sake of eating it, but I've also been told to err on the side of eating the "points" rather than not, because we don't want our bodies to think we're in starvation mode - then they will want to hang onto the weight rather than let go of it slowly.

You're right - with the WW plan, I am rarely hungry so sometimes it is actually HARD to get in all the points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 PM
 
44,162 posts, read 44,252,021 times
Reputation: 46491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Honestly, I'd encourage you to at least consider going on a low-carb diet, such as Atkins. It's tough at first if you primarily like to eat breads, pastas and cereals, but you never have to starve yourself. You can basically eat until you are full. Over time, and it doesn't take too long, your appetite will drop, so you will eat less.

And contrary to popular belief, low carb does not mean no carb. You can still eat most types of foods, you just have to cut out completely the really bad carbs (sugar, white flour) and eat controlled quantities of other carbs.

Just a friendly suggestion.
It's a good suggestion. I did Atkins years ago, but was craving mashed potatoes by the end of the week. Also, I was married at the time, so I had to cook my food and then his food so it was a little more difficult. I might try that again. One thing I retained from those days was that I drink my coffee with half and half and no sugar--previously, it was sugar and milk.

I could easily live without pasta. Potatoes are harder to give up.

My daughter is gluten-intolerant, so I've learned to not keep a lot of bread and whatnot around. Cereal--meh, rarely eat it.

My worst enemy is sugar. I love candy, and I quit smoking last year, which made the sugar cravings soar. Not buying any right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
 
44,162 posts, read 44,252,021 times
Reputation: 46491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You have to pick foods that are healthy and satiating. Lean proteins, whole grains and healthy oils. Avocados and nuts are great. Have a hard boiled egg. I used guacamole for the spread on my sandwiches. At some point you have to realize that you have eaten enough and the hunger is psychological. Drink a glass of water or go exercise. Do yoga or take a walk or go for a short run. Anything to take your mind off of food. Stay away from simple carbs, because they will make you crave more.
I eat hard-boiled eggs several times a week for breakfast. I can't exactly just decide to talk a walk or do some yoga if I get hungry--I work in an office, lol, and I have a 3-hour round-trip by train every day. I do walk at lunchtime.

The hunger was defintely not psychological. It was HUNGER. WW just isn't for me, especially when I'd have to plan out and prepare breakfast and lunch to carry on the train to work. I don't have a lot of free time--I already get up at 5 and don't get home until after 7. A low-carb diet, such as the other poster mentioned, is probably my best bet.

Right now I am just eating low-calorie for this first few days while I figure out what I will do longer-term--a hard-boiled egg and an apple for breakfast, salad with a few strips of chicken for lunch. I am friggin' STARVING, but I'd rather save my leftover calories for a good dinner when I am home. Will probably have salmon and spinach tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
 
44,162 posts, read 44,252,021 times
Reputation: 46491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WW doesn't care when you eat your "big meal." I can't stand to go to bed hungry, so I always leave some points for close to bedtime - and I eat my big meal of the day in the evening, sometimes as late as 8 pm. I am still losing weight regularly.

I am not a big breakfast eater, so I don't "waste" my WW points on breakfast. I may eat a boiled egg or have a smoothie late in the morning - which is very helpful when it comes to not overeating at lunch.

WW gives you bonus points - and you can also "earn" points with physical activity - for instance mowing the yard for an hour will give me about five extra points - which is about 250 calories extra.

WW has changed it's system up - to include more education about food choices, more flexibility, etc. The biggest thing for me to learn has been PORTION CONTROL (I was amazed at just how much food I really had been eating), and ways to substitute less fattening choices in place of more fattening choices.

I can honestly, honestly say that I have not been hungry on the WW plan. When I get a little bit hungry between meals, I grab a clementine or a banana rather than a Snicker bar.

I actually had a chocolate bar in the house (I think my husband brought it home) and it lasted me for over a week. I broke off a square every day or so and ate it - and that was all I wanted. I lost 3.4 pounds that week.

Choices and portion control. It's a learning process - but WW gives you the tools. You can even track everything on your smart phone when you're out running around.
Agree that portion control is huge. Last night I had some gluten-free pasta with a little meat sauce. I made one serving size, and it's a heck of a lot smaller than what I usually eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,438,212 times
Reputation: 49311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agree that portion control is huge. Last night I had some gluten-free pasta with a little meat sauce. I made one serving size, and it's a heck of a lot smaller than what I usually eat!
LOL that sort of sucks, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top