U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 PM
 
9,530 posts, read 8,383,429 times
Reputation: 17402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
Oops, while you have quite a reputation score, well deserved, I'm very sure, I inadvertantly clicked on it when I meant to click "reply,"

The resason being that I am very defensive of WW when people say they tend to push (I know you didn't use that word, but my brain working on low batteries tonight) frozen meals and restaurants on their "list." That couldn't be further from the truth. Weight Watchers is all about real, fresh, shop the perimeter of the grocery store type of foods. Yes, they do provide frozen foods for those occasions when you find it necessary (doesn't everyone once in a while?) and publish a restaurant guide so you can make safe and healthy choices in just about any restaurant you'd be likely to encounter, but that's a recognition of <reality,> not an <<endorsement.>>

You don't count calories on WW. They have a panel of expert nutitionists who are always one step ahead of the "latest news on how your body uses food to retain, gain, or lose weight!! New tomorrow on Dr. Oz!!" Weight Watchers was teaching six months ago how fat, protein, carbohydrates and fiber interact and what part each plays in a healthy life style.

So, respectfully, before you "guess" what WW has "on their list," join and see for yourself what a comprehensive and workable program--not diet--it is.
Referencing the bold section, isn't that why WW did a re-calculation of their points system and changed the majority of fruits to zero?

Even though a calorie is a calorie, it's the composition of that calorie and the effect it has in the body, i.e. fat, protein, carb.

I think WW is a great program because it teaches portion control and that's something many Americans and restaurants have forgotten. People need to re-learn how much food their body really needs. I also don't obsess over what the scale reads, either. It can change as much as two or three pounds overnight, even if you're on target due to water retention. For me, eating something that has a little too much sodium will cause me to hold onto water so I don't let the scale freak me out. It teaches sensible eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
 
Location: West Roxbury, MA
288 posts, read 415,018 times
Reputation: 421
They did change fruits and <most> vegetables to zero because there were many people were making lower-point, less healthy choices and not getting fruits and veggies in. HOWEVER if I've heard it once I've heard it a hundred times this is NOT a license to sit and eat grapes and cherries all day. My leader acknowledged that she gained weight while staff were testing that phase of the program because she was so enamoured of free fruit she overdid it. <<You can't overdo anything.>> If you didn't have an over-doing problem, you wouldn't even know Weight Watchers existed.

And a calorie is NOT just a calorie! A calorie from fat is not the same as a calorie from protein... people would probably not choose to live on calories only from snickers bars. :-) (Or maybe they would but that's a problem for another forum.)

WW teaches <far more> than portion control. That you can get on google. It develops insight into WHY we eat/overeat, how to keep a "safe house," how to control cravings, how to get up and start again when you've eaten that bag of potato chips, etc etc etc. For me, who can't stand the look/smell/taste of alcohol, it is a food-addicts AA.

And maybe the two greatest benefits...a leader who has "been there," and a roomful of folk who are committed to "getting there" and are supportive, compassionate, and dedicated to the same goal.

Disclaimer: I am affiliated with Weight Watchers only in that in 2003 I weighed 220 pounds and today I weigh 134. I never "tried" Weight Watchers and my weekly meeting is tomorrow at 10:00.

Last edited by bostonbarney; 08-28-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
15,724 posts, read 17,676,338 times
Reputation: 14996
lost .4 today, total 55.8 lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 04:47 PM
 
43,960 posts, read 44,110,272 times
Reputation: 46269
I looked up area Weight Watchers meetings but the latest time I could find that one met is 5:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. I work and I'm not home that early. Didn't see any Saturday groups, alas.

I was really hoping for an in-person group but I will look and see what the online deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
3,979 posts, read 5,088,332 times
Reputation: 6240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I looked up area Weight Watchers meetings but the latest time I could find that one met is 5:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. I work and I'm not home that early. Didn't see any Saturday groups, alas.

I was really hoping for an in-person group but I will look and see what the online deal is.
That is a bummer. Are you sure they do not hold another meeting at a different time? It has been my experience that the different locations usually off at least two different times to accommodate as many people as possible. You may want to call up your local chapter and find out for sure.
For me the meetings were key. I needed to be weighed in. That was my motivation. Plus it is so nice when you hit a milestone and they make a big deal out if it. That support is so nice to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM
 
43,960 posts, read 44,110,272 times
Reputation: 46269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is a bummer. Are you sure they do not hold another meeting at a different time? It has been my experience that the different locations usually off at least two different times to accommodate as many people as possible. You may want to call up your local chapter and find out for sure.
For me the meetings were key. I needed to be weighed in. That was my motivation. Plus it is so nice when you hit a milestone and they make a big deal out if it. That support is so nice to have.
They do--they have some that are during the day, but nothing on weekends and nothing in the evening.

OK--I just looked again, and they do have a Saturday meeting, but it's 7.5 miles away. I guess I could do that. I just got excited initially because there was one at a church about a mile from my house, but it's at 5:30 p.m. on a weeknight. I'm just barely leaving work an hour and a half away at that time.

I looked for one near my work location, too, which is Jersey City, NJ, but there's nothing near my job.

I guess I will go to the one that's 7.5 miles away. Yes, it would be nice to have real people around for support, and since I don't know many people where I live and I don't work where I live, I do try to do things where I can interact with other humans from time to time. Cats and the Internet can just do so much for you, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Status: "Answer not a fool's folly, lest ye be like him." (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,346,531 times
Reputation: 49284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They do--they have some that are during the day, but nothing on weekends and nothing in the evening.

OK--I just looked again, and they do have a Saturday meeting, but it's 7.5 miles away. I guess I could do that. I just got excited initially because there was one at a church about a mile from my house, but it's at 5:30 p.m. on a weeknight. I'm just barely leaving work an hour and a half away at that time.

I looked for one near my work location, too, which is Jersey City, NJ, but there's nothing near my job.

I guess I will go to the one that's 7.5 miles away. Yes, it would be nice to have real people around for support, and since I don't know many people where I live and I don't work where I live, I do try to do things where I can interact with other humans from time to time. Cats and the Internet can just do so much for you, lol.
Congrats! I think you will find the meetings helpful! Keep us posted.

And I love the online tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
15,724 posts, read 17,676,338 times
Reputation: 14996
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Congrats! I think you will find the meetings helpful! Keep us posted.

And I love the online tools.
How are you doing so far? I gained .6 this past week but I am ok with that. Hopefully this week I can take off at least 1 pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Status: "Answer not a fool's folly, lest ye be like him." (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
36,376 posts, read 27,346,531 times
Reputation: 49284
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How are you doing so far? I gained .6 this past week but I am ok with that. Hopefully this week I can take off at least 1 pound.
Last week, I had lost a pound but this week I've been at a complete standstill. I am not freaked out though -I expected to hit a plateau. Also, we have been eating out a lot and I've used some of my "bonus points" - which I don't usually use, and my husband and I have been out of town a lot so my walking routine has been disrupted.

That being said, I haven't gained weight so it's all good!

I determined that I would not freak out if I didn't lose this week - or next week (my husband and I will be helping my parents move in a few days and going back out of town and probably eating all kinds of weird take out food - you know how moving is!). I will still stay within the points, but that's not the type of food I usually eat - but I'm not going to pack food to take to peoples' house when they don't even have their kitchen unpacked!

Challenges - but not unsurmountable ones. I am looking forward to getting back in a routine though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
15,724 posts, read 17,676,338 times
Reputation: 14996
I weighed in Yesterday and stayed the same which was good because I thought I gained 2 lbs. I hope to loose weight this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top