U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Status: "Answer not a fool's folly, lest ye be like him." (set 27 days ago)

36,376 posts, read 27,334,946 times

Advertisements

I just started a few weeks ago and am doing the meetings plus the online tools. I really like it, and am losing a pound or two a week, but was wondering if there's anyone else on this forum on the program, or who has used the program and lost and KEPT OFF a significant amount of weight. I need to lose about 32 more pounds to reach my goal.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:51 PM

288 posts, read 414,903 times
I joined Weight Watchers in 2003 one Saturday morning on the spur of the moment when I realized that I wanted to lose weight more than I wanted to take my next breath. I followed the program <perfectly>; did everything right. Counted, journaled, attended every meeting and some weeks more than one if I were struggling. When I finally became a lifetime member I didn't change a single thing. I lost 130 pounds and have kept every single one of them off for nine years. WW is so ingrained in me now I can eyeball portions and sometimes journal in my head, but I NEVER miss a meeting. I love the program and wish you luck. I was very happy to see that you didn't say you're "trying" Weight Watchers. It becomes a way of life.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I joined Weight Watchers in 2003 one Saturday morning on the spur of the moment when I realized that I wanted to lose weight more than I wanted to take my next breath. I followed the program <perfectly>; did everything right. Counted, journaled, attended every meeting and some weeks more than one if I were struggling. When I finally became a lifetime member I didn't change a single thing. I lost 130 pounds and have kept every single one of them off for nine years. WW is so ingrained in me now I can eyeball portions and sometimes journal in my head, but I NEVER miss a meeting. I love the program and wish you luck. I was very happy to see that you didn't say you're "trying" Weight Watchers. It becomes a way of life.
Thank you for the feedback!

I "tried" it about ten years ago and it just didn't work for me - but it was because I was abusing the system. I was determined to eat whatever I wanted to eat, and to just count the points. Of course, that's not sustainable. A Snickers bar is not a good choice for lunch! I am really impressed with the educational side of the program now. It is REALLY helping me to make consistently good choices, and to see the dangers when I'm eating out, or planning a menu. I really like that that I CAN eat out, with just a little pre planning. I LOVE the website and the app!

I lost 50 pounds about ten years ago but slowly gained 25 of it back. I know how that happened - I tore my achilles tendon a couple of years ago and had a very slow recovery, wearing a cast and then a boot for 8 months. It was awful, and consequently we slipped into eating out more because who wants to cook after they've been lugging a heavy boot around all day long??? Also, I couldn't exercise.

Anyway, I got the lifestyle/cooking choices back under control and began exercising more, and really cutting my calories down but was only losing 1/2 a pound a week and sometimes NO weight. Finally, I decided to go to a WW meeting. I met with the counselor who told me she thought I was eating TOO LITTLE and that if I would stick to the points plan with WW I might lose weight more consistently, even though she warned me that it could still be only 1/2 pound a week. Anyway, I was impressed with the program and joined, and the weight loss HAS been more consistent, I feel better - and I am eating MORE FOOD! Amazing!

I am very excited. 32 pounds to go to my IDEAL weight! I can do it!

Your story is great, by the way. Did you have trouble with loose skin? I am a little worried about that around my middle and my upper arms. OH and of course my face. I am fifty and I do have good, pretty firm skin but I don't want to lose that!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Of <<course>> you can do it :-)

Luckily, my loose skin ended up on my legs and is easily hidden :-) And I'm 70 so people kind of expect it anyway, and for some reason (good karma in a previous life?) I didn't end up with that much anyway. Shoulders to hips I'm actually kind of bony. As for my upper arms, one of my nieces said to my sister about fifteen years ago "Aunt Dottie, who let the air out of your arms?" so all the women take that with good humor. Exercise will keep your upper arms firm at fifty.

When I lost my weight I *couldn't* exercise, and yet the weight came off every week. (At that time I was waiting for both knees and a hip to be replaced. On July 11 I had the second hip replaced--and I'm already walking without a cane and driving--and last year a shoulder. None of that would have been possibile at 230 pounds.) My leader said "Sit in a car with two cans of soup and use them as weights." So I did.

"Who wants to cook after lugging around a boot all day?" I've heard that occasionally men have that capability. ;-)

If I were to give you ONE piece of advice, it would be never to stop going to meetings. Give yourself the luxury of only weighing in once a month as a lifetime if you want (I do) but GET TO A MEETING EVERY WEEK just as if you were going to AA.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM

That's sit in a <chair> of course, but I suppose a car would do as well.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Good advice, Boston - THANK YOU! You are truly inspiring!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 AM

Keep in touch every once in a while? :-)

Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 AM

34,815 posts, read 33,667,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just started a few weeks ago and am doing the meetings plus the online tools. I really like it, and am losing a pound or two a week, but was wondering if there's anyone else on this forum on the program, or who has used the program and lost and KEPT OFF a significant amount of weight. I need to lose about 32 more pounds to reach my goal.

Anyone?

Sort of but I found an app on my iPhone/iPad that has much more information regarding calories and nutrition for real food than Weight Watchers did. I cook all the time and don't usually use frozen meals or go out to restaurants a lot and it seemed to me that Weight Watchers has mainly those types of foods on their list.

Good luck with your program.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 AM

6,623 posts, read 10,373,179 times
My mom did this program for a while but I don't thinks he was able to keep the weight off. She switched to a program called Medifast, which worked for her. She's been like 140 pounds (down from 270) since she started the program 5 years ago.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 AM

3,978 posts, read 5,085,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Anyone?
I did it about 6 years ago and lost 40lbs and I have kept it off. Its just common sense eating. Stick with it and you will succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss