Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

Yes that is the main thing the diet taught me too............portion control.........when I am doing good on diet, and I need to go back on it, I may eat 10-15 bites for dinner but that's with working out and burning 400-700 calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:12 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I ate out of anxiety, to calm myself down. It replaced smoking. I gained a ton of weight since quitting 17 years ago. Any little pause where the anxiety can creep in and my hand wants to carry something to my mouth.
A 5 bite of the emotion related food junk that are keeping me fat might work. 5 bites of chips might work better than trying to go to none. Its just another way to view portion control.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM

I am back on the diet and dropped 2 lbs in 2 days. I just drink caffeine for breakfast, alkaline water all day, and don't eat until at least 1-2 PM. It could be placebo but the water really fills me up more than regular water. I can work out better too.

For me, eating at night is most important, if I don't eat at night I get insomnia.

Today I did really good I busted out a hard cardio workout on an empty stomach, did a set of 27 push ups, and ate a salad and small amount of Chinese food for dinner. Didn't count bites exactly but it was the first thing I ate today.

I try and eat at around 1000 calories, workout or walk, and still lose close to 1 pound per day.

If you can portion control and work out you really lose a lot of weight fast.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am back on the diet and dropped 2 lbs in 2 days. I just drink caffeine for breakfast, alkaline water all day, and don't eat until at least 1-2 PM. It could be placebo but the water really fills me up more than regular water. I can work out better too.

For me, eating at night is most important, if I don't eat at night I get insomnia.

Today I did really good I busted out a hard cardio workout on an empty stomach, did a set of 27 push ups, and ate a salad and small amount of Chinese food for dinner. Didn't count bites exactly but it was the first thing I ate today.

I try and eat at around 1000 calories, workout or walk, and still lose close to 1 pound per day.

If you can portion control and work out you really lose a lot of weight fast.
I'm surprised you can do all of that on just 1000 calories as a guy. I notice a big decrease in performance when I run a big sustained deficit. I notice big time improvement in performance on the day after I consume at least 2000 cals, moderate performance when I consume 1500 most days of the week, and sluggish performance when I don't have a cheat day and consume 1500 all days of the week. Go figure.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm surprised you can do all of that on just 1000 calories as a guy. I notice a big decrease in performance when I run a big sustained deficit. I notice big time improvement in performance on the day after I consume at least 2000 cals, moderate performance when I consume 1500 most days of the week, and sluggish performance when I don't have a cheat day and consume 1500 all days of the week. Go figure.
Yeah go figure I don't know how I do it, but it started way back when with Body for Life by Bill Phillips. He advocates working out on an empty stomach so my body is used to that. I work out better on am empty stomach than having something in it.

I drink 2 Rockstar or Monster Ultra and all the caffeine zaps my appetite and makes me want to do something because I am a bit jittery.

I probably burn a small amount of muscle but since I keep working out at the same resistance levels as I lose weight it rebuilds and I just look leaner. I have done this so many times my body is used to burning fat for fuel I believe.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 12,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You were obese, you lost weight, you gained weight til you were obese again, you lost weight, you gained some back...this sounds like what you're doing - is not working for you very well at all. The ten year thing - what you were doing then, during that ten years - that's what you need to do again. If you were in the corps and -gained- weight, wouldn't much of that weight have been muscle, and not fat? I've never heard of anyone joining the military and getting fat during their service. Only leaner, trimmer, more muscular, and the hefty ones scaled down a bit.
Have you ever tried the 5 bites diet? it actually is more nutritious than atkins, or low carb, or low fat ...or any low anything. Well - it is as nutritious as the choices of food that you eat. I calculated how many bites I need to eat to feel satisfied that i ate enough (per meal) and it turns out that i am done at 7 bites. I had no idea.It seems so little.
I usually eat way more just because the food tastes good and it makes me feel good....not because I am still hungry.
I rather lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks of eating very balanced and nutritious 10 bites per day than take 3-4 months of frustrating restriction meals that make me miserable and constantly think about the foods i want to eat.
I tried all those and I always gain back really fast.

It is not nice to be so judgy about a diet just cause its not your thing. Each diet works well for some people and doesn't work for others. After 6 years of trying every single diet that's out there and failing , the 5 bite diet is the first one that works for me and fast. My best friend lost 100 lbs on Ideal protein diet - in 8 months. That diet made me feel sick and did not work for me. each one is different.

I am starting my second round today, and hope to lose 30 lbs in one month. I'll keep you updated.
2 times in my life i lost 10 lbs in one day - all water I am sure - and I was healthy and completely fine and did not gain the weight back at all, so I really don;t believe this "losing fast is bad for you " thingy. If that were rue the "biggest loser" show would not be allowed....neither the stomach surgeries we all know about.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is well past the time to quit blaming Mom for you continueing to choose to eat when you are not hungry, knowing that you eat when you are not hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I ate out of anxiety, to calm myself down. It replaced smoking. I gained a ton of weight since quitting 17 years ago. Any little pause where the anxiety can creep in and my hand wants to carry something to my mouth. A 5 bite of the emotion related food junk that are keeping me fat might work. 5 bites of chips might work better than trying to go to none. Its just another way to view portion control.
Hi. It seems that you might have a little binge eating problem - emotional eating. I have that too. I tried tons of diets for the past 7 years and nothing worked and that made me so frustrated that i ate even more. Every diet I tried ended up with me being fatter than before.
So about 2 months ago I decided to quit dieting in any way. i calculated how much food I need in one meal to not be hungry anymore. It turned out that if i eat 7 bites (half a sandwich) and wait 20 minutes I am completely not hungry for 3-4 hours. So i decided to eat anything I want but never eat more than 7 bites in a meal...not to lose weight but to stop gaining.
This totally cured my binge eating. I did not expect that it can be that easy.
I eat absolutely anything I want...only delicious food now, and I did not gain one lbs in 2 months. I eat every 3 hours or so...and lots of times my last meal is at 11 pm. And I still didn't gain anything. It is soooooo liberating.

Today I am going to start the 5 bites diet though. I would like to lose the stupid 30 lbs . I plan to do it one week at the time. It looks like I should be able to lose 10 lbs in one week. And then I'll go back to my 7 bites forever meals to make sure I do not gain back..

I never thought i could find a solution to emotional eating. You may want to try it. It may help you also.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-13-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
The only way this works long-term is if those 5 bites are the size of a ladle.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Update-I can't follow the 5 bite diet anymore, doesn't work for me. When it did I would eat approx. 5 bites for lunch, 10-15 for dinner and workout for a minimum of 30 minutes per day. When I tried to eat only 10 bites per day and no exercise I couldn't sleep.

What I am planning on doing is eating 5 small meals a day, for a total of 1600 calories since I truly believe calorie restriction is the most important part of the diet.

The best thing I learned from the 5 bite diet is portion control.

Good luck to anyone that tries the diet going forward, when it worked for me, I was losing .5 to 1 pound a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss