Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,965,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I saw the author today on Dr. Oz, he looked, well, emaciated.
The "5 bite diet" is a quack diet. Even Dr. Oz was suspicious of what this guy was peddling. You could eat 15 bites/day of any kind of junk food you want but you'd still lose weight because you're basically starving yourself. The pro-anorexics must love this guy's diet.

Now, limiting your dessert and carb intake to 5 bites a day would be better advice. Eat all the veggies and fruits you want. Nobody ever got fat because they ate too many bananas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM

50,096 posts, read 35,741,641 times
I am not capable of just eating a few bites - I'd end up eating the whole thing! Low carb works best for me at work, because when someone brings in donuts or something yummy and junkie, I'm not "allowed" even a bite on days I'm doing low carb, and for me it's much easier to not be allowed to have even one bite than to try to moderate myself!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Hmm, 5 or 10 or 15 bites, eh?
Sounds like fun for say 4 days....that would get my bad habits under contol...
Hmm, I'll try it....if I can....see how long I can do that....I like to pretend I'm
disciplined.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 AM

24 posts, read 29,405 times
I think if it works for you do it.

You said you actually take in about 1500 calories with this 20 to 30 bite diet I don't think that's bad at all. If consumption control works for you then go for it! More power to you!!

I don't think I could stop at a few bites I'd have to eat the whole thing...I have absolutely no control at this point and am working on a support system.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,433 times
What kind of fooDS you ate? I ate KitKat bars mostly .I did lost weight but not that much when I ate bread for the diet.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,395,122 times
I'm a thin, fit woman but I was up to almost 200lbs (and 5'8") after I gave birth to my child a few years ago... basically, you're right. What did it for me was portion control. I ONLY ate what could fit into my hand at every meal. More than 5 bites. 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and I allowed myself 2 other 100 calorie snacks. One about 10am after breakfast and one that night after dinner.

I got inventive too for the 100 cal snacks. I could do fat-free frozen yogurt, 100cal. chocolates or cookies, soups, low cal. cake, salads, raw cabbage (love it), any kind of green veggie, etc. I wasn't even hungry and lost all of that weight, back down to 130lbs in about 4 months.

Another thing was to cut out all soda (even diet soda), juice, beer, wine, etc. Only drink water, flavored water, plain coffee, soy or almond milk. And get lots of yummy sugarfree gum to chew on for flavors if you get an urge to eat in between meals.

I'm still 5'8" and a very stable 130 lbs. years later.. never came back after I developed better habits. It can work.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,708,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ten bites a day??????

Of course you would lose weight - people in concentration camps lost weight too.

All you're really talking about is portion control, by the way. I am on the Weight Watchers program and I am losing 1-2 pounds a week, and eating anything I want to eat. In fact, the other day I had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen - and I ate the whole thing, not just five bites of it!

If you're losing a pound or more a DAY - or more than probably 3 pounds a week, it won't stay off. You can't continue to live like you're living and the minute you start eating normal portions again, the weight is going to come right back - with a vengeance.

We have to change our LIFESTYLE - permanently. That's the only way to maintain a healthy weight.

This is the key.

I can't tell you the number of women I've worked with who've tried various "diets." It's been interesting.

Those who've had the most success have learned portion control. One woman used the WW point system and lost over 40 lbs. She used to give me this cardboard wheel "thingie" to calculate points when I'd make food for office parties. It worked for her. Another woman used to move color-coded cards around until they were gone (?). I'd hear her in the breakroom occasionally saying she was "done eating at work." Sounds like another portion control strategy.

I'm not sure about the second woman, but the first frequently "saved" points for eating out or for holidays. I do know that both lost substantial weight, and kept it off at leasy while I worked with them.

Some of these plans can be a good way to teach or reinforce the important concept of portion control.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,532,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This is the key.

I can't tell you the number of women I've worked with who've tried various "diets." It's been interesting.

Those who've had the most success have learned portion control. One woman used the WW point system and lost over 40 lbs. She used to give me this cardboard wheel "thingie" to calculate points when I'd make food for office parties. It worked for her. Another woman used to move color-coded cards around until they were gone (?). .
That sounds like Richard Simmons' Deal-A-Meal! Ohhh memories!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,081 times
I think a few have not completely understood the concept behind the 5 bite diet. It is basically what stomach banding patients eat...and they lose the weight, combined with vitamin pills. The point I get from all this is, that for ones who are severe to morbidly obese, who have serious health issues...this is the best way to get some necessary weight off, to train their stomach to recognise fullness. I do not agree that it is healthy for indefinate time...but if getting a jump start fast will allow the body to adapt and exercise in a more healthier way, is working, then do it. After all, if the ones who medically proven surgery lost and kept the weight off, doing the small bite portions.......shouldn't we endorse that?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,625,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannatWood View Post
I think a few have not completely understood the concept behind the 5 bite diet. It is basically what stomach banding patients eat...and they lose the weight, combined with vitamin pills. The point I get from all this is, that for ones who are severe to morbidly obese, who have serious health issues...this is the best way to get some necessary weight off, to train their stomach to recognise fullness. I do not agree that it is healthy for indefinate time...but if getting a jump start fast will allow the body to adapt and exercise in a more healthier way, is working, then do it. After all, if the ones who medically proven surgery lost and kept the weight off, doing the small bite portions.......shouldn't we endorse that?
The reason surgical patients eat only five bites is because their stomach has been surgically reduced to the size of a golf ball. If they try to eat anything more than that, they get physically sick. They have failed to "train" their stomachs to "feel" full, which is WHY they've had the surgery. Their stomachs have been made artificially smaller so that five bites IS full, it doesn't merely feel that way. They also have to eat several times every day, plus they can't eat whatever they want, their diet is incredibly restricted to ensure that they're getting enough nutrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss