Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times

Advertisements

[quote=AnonChick;26473038]

Quote:
What I think you can improve on:

Breakfast: If you're eating instant oatmeal, stop. If you're not lactose intolerant, ditch the soy milk and drink either normal whole milk, or 2% milk in your oatmeal. If you're lactose intolerant, make sure that soy milk is UNflavored and UNsweetened. Not sweetened with stevia, not sweetened with low-calorie sweetener. You're consuming too many carbs, not enough healthy fats, and I'm not seeing much protein either. And too few calories overall, except for the candy, which is "empty" calories that exist just to pack on the pounds and raise your blood sugar levels.
I should of clarified that I eat the cooked whole grain oatmeal, but not every day. Most days I eat egg whites with broceli, mushrooms and green pepper. I put a tiny bit of soymilk/unsweetened in the oatmeal. I use Stevia in my drink mix but not in the oatmeal.

Quote:
Lunch: Have that turkey on a slice of whole-grain wheat bread, instead of crackers. Get rid of the "low fat salad dressing" and use olive oil and vinegar instead.
Ok I will try that

Quote:
Dinner: Add another main vegetable, such as string beans, broccoli, zucchini, half of a baked potato (including the skin) with shaved parmesan cheese (instead of butter/sour cream). Also, you can do better in your choice of fish; tuna, salmon, any kind of "steak" fish. For white fishes, try halibut if you can find it in season (never get it previously frozen), cod, or flounder.
I dont use butter or sour cream ever. I am trying not to eat salmon as it is high in cholestrol and I have high cholestrol and am taking medication for that. It's genetic I was told because I don't eat alot of cholestrol. I will try halibut.

Quote:
For your snacks, try mixing your own trail mix of almonds, walnuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds, and have a couple tablespoons of that mix once or twice during the day.
Sounds good. I have made a goal not to eat any more granola bars or candy. That will cut out alot of the sugar. I like the pure protein brand bars that have only 2 grams of sugar.

Quote:
The things I'm suggesting, are to give you more of a variety of foods, more quantity of foods, with less sugar. Remember, sugar doesn't contain any fat so "fat free" and "low fat" can still pack on the pounds. Flavored yogurt typically has lots of sugar in it, even though it's naturally low-fat.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It's hard to lose weight if you're 12% body fat and lean already. You don't give us your height & weight stats.

For me, I was 5' 4" around 163 lbs, lost 7.4 lbs in 5 weeks of bike workouts; hit a weight loss pleateau and stopped exercise, but I ate for weight maintenance. Resumed exercise 2 weeks later and in 9 total weeks / 436.46 miles of biking I lost 10.2 lbs. Now I'm at 152.8 lbs.

I would like to go to 145 lbs, any lower is a bonus.
I am definitely not 12% body fat. I had a test and I am 25%. I am 5' 7", 165. I would like to weigh 155. Everyone says I don't look like I weigh that much but I am medium build and I do. I wear a size 8 in almost everything and would like to be a 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Switch up your food list; consider getting the grains out. Add coconut oil and walk several hours a week. Cardio though it burns more calories is hard on the body.
Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums
I should also clarify I actually walk fast and run 3.2 miles 4 times a week. I actually don't like running that's why I walk fast, then run and when I get tired start walking again.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Weight-lifting will burn off more calories for you.
The danger is that it will make you hungry, too.
And, you will gain a few pounds of muscle mass

Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
I had forgotten I wrote this thread almost a year ago. Well here it is September 2013 still trying to lose that last "10 pounds". I went on a cruise in Feb and gained 5 pounds so the total is now 15. I am happy to report i am down 4 pounds in the last two weeks. It doesnt seem like much but I have been fluctuating up and down with my weight this past year.

I am running more, doing strength training with weights and I have cut out alot of carbs out of my diet. I don't eat oatmeal anymore and for breakfast I only eat egg whites with musrooms and peppers. I have also started drinking a smoothie for lunch which consists of unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup fruit (grapes, strawberries , peaches or pears, whatever is cheapest and in season), ice, 2 tablespoons of flax seed, two tablespoons of lite vanilla yogurt. I also eat a small salad mid afternoon and a sensible dinner, fish or chicken and vegetables. I drink alot of water throughout the day. I am trying to cut out all the sweets, granola bars, candy bar, ice cream etc.

I hope this will work. Trying to get to the goal weight by Nov 2 when I am heading to Myrtle Beach for a vacation.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss