Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 PM

865 posts, read 2,495,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Exercise has practically nothing to do with losing weight.
Those who regularly exercise now and if were suddenly to quit, would gain little to no weight.
Those who don't exercise now and start will lose practically no weight.

For every five calories you burn exercising, you become six calories hungrier.

If you want to lose weight you're going to have to eat less than you want(ed) - regardless if you exercise or not.

People who are thin, think they're thin because they exercise. They think people who are fat are fat because they don't.

Why Exercise Doesn't Actually Help You Lose Weight

Why Exercise and Burning Calories Won't Help You Lose Weight

Phys Ed: Why Doesn't Exercise Lead to Weight Loss? - NYTimes.com
I think the women that I train who have lost weight (two who have lost 100lbs or more) and the man who has lost 50lbs might disagree. The man who lost 50 made no significant changes to his diet. He simply went from little activity to exercising 5 days a week. Exercise has always been the way I regulate my weight.

I looked at you links. One thing that immediately springs to mind in reading the last link is the fact that the study looked at metabolic rates pre and post low intensity aerobic exercise (55%). It is already well established that the human body recovers (ie - returns to a resting metabolic rate) quickly after low intensity exercise. Such exercise also does little to build muscle mass. High intensity exercise, on the other hand, has been shown in studies to raise metabolism post exercise bout. High intensity exercise also builds muscle mass, which in turn will raise a persons resting metabolism in the long run.

Yes it is possible that some people may respond to exercise by feeling more hungry, but I would argue that they are confusing hunger for thirst, and staying well hydrated will mitigate this to a large extent.

My personal philosophy is down playing the role of exercise merely makes it easier for people to make excuse for being overweight. True genetic/medical reasons for obesity are not that common. The truth for the vast majority of our population is that we exercise less from a very young age. Kids watch TV and play video games instead of playing outdoors or biking to a friends. Adults rely on machines for nearly everything. Anybody even have to roll down the windows on their car anymore? You combine that with the huge predominance of highly processed grains and simple sugars/carbs in most of our diets and its no wonder we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic.

Rant over, hijacking of thread finished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,684,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Weight loss is about 90% your food intake. Exercise has very little to do with weight. I'm heavy, have always been heavy, but lifted weights and spent 40 minutes a day on the stationary bike. Still heavy, but in much better condition.

As my trainer said, I'm doing everything right except not doing enough Push-Aways, as in push-away from the table. Less calories than calories burned equals weight loss. Lots of exercise will burn relatively few additional calories, actually, while making you much hungrier.

It's a tough decision and one I'm struggling with myself. But I really do believe its all about caloric intake.

Exercise does trigger hunger for me. But if I make the proper food choices its not a gaining issue. I found that having the post workout follow up snack + electrolyte beverage + re-hydration works well. I think half of it for me is the hunger/thirst signal cross. (slightly feel the same)

If it continues to be an issue I take my lean body mass and see if I need more calories or protein.
It seems I get tired whenever this need has crept up.

Exercise and diet has always made me bloat up before any loss of inches or pounds. The gain in exercise is your muscle swelling from being ripped and trying to rebuild. Its inflammation.
I have absolutely no idea why I go up in pounds of water on diet loss only before I drop the weight.
Its almost like PMS gains without the PMS.

When your heart can take it try to get your bike time in to 60 mins. Its easier if you break it up into two sessions. Like bike...weights...bike. Or even do an AM bike ride and finish your workout in the evening.
Good luck!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM

232 posts, read 250,352 times
I used to think that exercise alone would help me lose weight but it really didn't. What it DID do was help my overall body composition and make me look smaller and better. So honestly--to lose weight you really do have to cut your calories back to a rate that you are creating a calorie deficit. Exercise will help with overall body composition and tone but not really all that much in weight loss. I think one of the best strategies I've seen is to drop your calories back and lose weight and then when you get close to your goal--perhaps add in some exercise to tone up and look better. Muscle mass does burn more calories than fat mass so there has to be some advantage in that. But you cannot rely on just exercise alone to lose weight.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,543,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Exercise does trigger hunger for me. But if I make the proper food choices its not a gaining issue.
That "if" needs to be in bold, font size 136.

If everyone did this then we wouldn't even have a Diet and Weight Loss forum on City-Data.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missladytexas View Post
you really do have to cut your calories back to a rate that you are creating a calorie deficit.
That's the bottom line. If you're exercising and it is making you hungrier (which it does for just about everybody) then you need to eat less than you want - precisely the same strategy you'd have to employ if you didn't exercise at all.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM

515 posts, read 1,001,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
I think the women that I train who have lost weight (two who have lost 100lbs or more) and the man who has lost 50lbs might disagree. The man who lost 50 made no significant changes to his diet. He simply went from little activity to exercising 5 days a week. Exercise has always been the way I regulate my weight.

Rant over, hijacking of thread finished
Thank you. Those articles talk nothing of high intensity exercise which is necessary just traditional cardio which does nothing for fat loss

Everyone should be lifting weights and sprinting to burn fat

Lift-big.com

Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
high intensity exercise which is necessary just traditional cardio which does nothing for fat loss
I'll bet that will shock the heck out of all the meidcal doctors and PhDs who would contend that any exercise can burn fat.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM

4,243 posts, read 7,149,511 times
Quote:
As my trainer said, I'm doing everything right except not doing enough Push-Aways, as in push-away from the table.
Good comment!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM

515 posts, read 1,001,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'll bet that will shock the heck out of all the meidcal doctors and PhDs who would contend that any exercise can burn fat.
Traditional cardio can and does burn fat. However, it raises cortisol levels in the body, making the body hold onto fat and break down muscle. So you'll burn some fat during, but in the long run, you slow your metabolism, break down lean muscle mass and hold onto more fat.

If "cardio" was so great, all the people using the ellipticals at the gym would all have pretty ripped bodies. Marathon body vs sprinter body argument. Or any gymnast, olympic weightlifter, etc. Great bodies, low fat percentage, no cardio workouts

Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Traditional cardio can and does burn fat. However, it raises cortisol levels in the body, making the body hold onto fat and break down muscle. So you'll burn some fat during, but in the long run, you slow your metabolism, break down lean muscle mass and hold onto more fat.

If "cardio" was so great, all the people using the ellipticals at the gym would all have pretty ripped bodies. Marathon body vs sprinter body argument. Or any gymnast, olympic weightlifter, etc. Great bodies, low fat percentage, no cardio workouts
Yeah right.

OK, what's the message? Don't do cardio? Lift weights? Prioritizing lifting weights over cardio (cardio as in cardiology as in the study of your heart) is the exercise equivalent of paying down a 3% mortgage while carrying an 18% credit card balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss