Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,622,128 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know this is diet and weight loss section but regardless, I am talking of a diet and I actually want to gain weight instead of losing weight. I'm what you would call a "hard gainer". Putting on weight for me, whether its fat or muscle is a tough task. My goal is muscle and that's even a lot harder than just simply stacking on the pounds. I exercise vigorously and been doing a lot of muscle building exercises, with good results but I just really don't put on any weight! Now, I'll admit, I don't eat as much as I should simply because throughout the day I am working and I am always on the go. I know my body VERY well and If I eat heavy any time through the day, it slows me down and I get lethargic and lazy. So, I choose to have a light breakfast with tea and then through the day I snack on almonds, peanuts, seeds, Cliff or any energy bar, drink an Ensure and have plenty of water.

Then after my day is done and I finish doing my exercise, I'll eat a big dinner and then have a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich or tuna with olive oil right before I go to sleep. And though those methods work, since I under eat, I burn a lot of what I ate the day before off, and I burn things off pretty fast since I have a very physically demanding job then I exercise afterwards.

Simply put I'm going to start eating more some way some how, but besides that I want to also make my own natural weight gainer. I was thinking of buying a weight gaining supplement but I'm really not into supplements much nowadays. Not that I don't think they work but I just feel most if not all or just very synthetic. So, I thought I'd make my own concoction.

So here's my idea for a weight gain drink recipe:

Coconut oil
Almond and or Rice Milk
Peanut Butter and/or almond butter
Cooked oatmeal (cook in water)
Bananas, blueberries, apples
Almonds
Flaxseed and/or Flaxseed oil
and some honey or brown sugar for a little more sweetness (though I think the fruit would make it sweet enough)

I was thinking of putting all that in a blender and making it into a smoothie of some sort. I'll have this as a morning drink along with maybe a bagel and at night right before I lay myself to sleep and count sheep (that rhymed).

So, what do you all think of this? What suggestions may you have? Any ideas, opinions etc or definitely welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 PM

OOHHH!!! I totally forgot eggs! Which is stupid because that was my number initial food that I wanted to mix everything with. And I'll also add baby food. Exact measurements I'll just feel out as I make it.

Again, any ideas or welcomed!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I actually want to gain weight
Why? Do you have a medical need or requirement as outlined by a medical professional? An occupational need (are you a pro football player?) Or, is this desire purely driven by vanity?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,916,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why? Do you have a medical need or requirement as outlined by a medical professional? An occupational need (are you a pro football player?) Or, is this desire purely driven by vanity?

try being 5'9 and 104lbs and tell me you won't want to gain weight. (not that the OP is 5'9 and 104lbs, but my dd is and being that thin isn't all it's cracked up to be)

To the OP...you can gain weight by eating healthy food..just eat larger portions..you don't need a shake or drink..just make larger portions.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Driven by vanity? A brother just can't want to put on a few extra pounds for his own personal reasons? But is it vanity if a person wants to lose weight? Ge'oudda hea man!!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,776,916 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with vanity. It motivates people to make good health decisions. People want to look good and a fantastic side benefit is they get healthier as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Nothing wrong with vanity. It motivates people to make good health decisions.

Not necessarily. If a person is already healthy then striving for a drastic solution to a non problem is a waste of effort, money, and time. Also, satisfying a vain desire might be an indication of an unhealthy psychological situation (lack of confidence, self esteem).

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
try being 5'9 and 104lbs and tell me you won't want to gain weight.
If I'm healthy at that physique then "I won't want to gain weight."

There, does that work for you?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Driven by vanity? A brother just can't want to put on a few extra pounds for his own personal reasons? But is it vanity if a person wants to lose weight? Ge'oudda hea man!!
Sure man, it's a free country. Do want you want to do.
Can't a brother tell the rest of us brothers what the personal reasons are seeing that this is an anonymous internet forum?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Sure man, it's a free country. Do want you want to do.
Can't a brother tell the rest of us brothers what the personal reasons are seeing that this is an anonymous internet forum?

Hahaha. Oh lord. You really want to know? Well, I just would like to put on a little bit more muscle for several reasons. One, I do participate in MMA and sometimes I train/spar against guys a lot bigger and stronger than me. Though, a lot of the time I do hold my own or even more than hold my own against them. And two, I've just always been a skinny person and I can lose weight rapidly. So, I just want to put some more weight on. I'm not trying to be "Mr. Muscle Bro Science" or have "beach muscles" but I just like to challenge my body, experiment with it, see what works and not work. So, more so than anything, its a scientific thing before its a cosmetic thing. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want to have a little bit bigger muscles.

Either way, I'll be conducting this experiment tomorrow and I'll let you all know how this goes about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss