Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,651 times

Advertisements

I firmly believe that MOST (but not all) overweight individuals who want to lose weight are undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition. Now when I say MOST, here's what I mean: if you were to ask 20 random overweight individuals here in the US to honestly answer the following 20 questions, I would guess that at least 12 of them will fall into the "undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition" category.

Here are the 20 questions:

Question 1: Which is healthier and keeps you full longer, brown rice or white rice?
Question 2: Which do you eat?
Question 3: Why?
Question 4: Which is healthier and keeps you full longer, 100% whole-wheat bread or white bread?
Question 5: Which do you eat?
Question 6: Why?
Question 7: Which is healthier and keeps you full longer, 100% rolled oats sweetened with a real apple and 2% milk or a packet of Quaker® instant oatmeal?

Question 8: Which do you eat? If neither, what do you usually eat for breakfast?
Question 9: Why?
Question 10: How many vegetables do you eat per day? Note: french fries, waffle fries, sweet potato fries, fried corn (it's a Southern delicacy), fried green tomatoes (another Southern delicacy), fried okra (yes... another Southern delicacy), lettuce/tomatoes on a hamburger or chicken sandwich, and green beans, collard greens, turnip greens or mustard greens seasoned with ANY type of meat do not count.

Question 11: Do you think it takes discipline, motivation and/or personal accountability to eat healthy foods that don't taste as good or have as much "flavor" as unhealthy foods?

Question 12: Do you ever drink sodas (including diet sodas), and if so, how many per week?
Question 13: How many pieces of fresh fruit do you eat per day?
Question 14: How often do you eat fast food (including pizza) per week?
Question 15: Would you describe your current diet as semi-healthy (75% healthy foods, 25% crappy foods), healthy, very healthy, unhealthy (75% crappy foods, 25% healthy foods) or very unhealthy?

Question 16: Do you think it takes discipline, motivation and/or personal accountability to exercise in the privacy of your own home for 30 minutes a day just 3 days a week? Note: a little exercise is better than no exercise at all.

Question 17: Have you ever heard of Dr. Oz and if so have you ever watched any of his shows, which air 5 days a week, Monday through Friday?

Question 18: Do you own a VCR, TiVo or any other type of video recording device that could record Dr. Oz's shows for later viewing? Note: if you can find the time to watch "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" or "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" you can find the time to watch a show about health and nutrition.

Question 19: If you have a child who is overweight, who do you think is responsible for educating your child about proper health and nutrition? Note: it's your child.

Question 20: If a person wants to lose weight and knows what they should be doing in order to lose that weight, and yet that person consciously chooses not to do any of those things on a daily basis, would you say that person is disciplined or undisciplined when it comes to weight loss? Motivated or unmotivated when it comes to weight loss?

As I said before, MOST (but not all) overweight people are undisciplined, unmotivated and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition. That's my opinion and I stand by it. Just remember, opinions are not facts; they're opinions and nothing more.

So here's my question, if 20 random overweight individuals (who want to lose weight) were to honestly answer the aforementioned 20 questions (most of which relate to the typical American diet and lifestyle), how many of them do you think would fall into the "undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition" category? I say at least 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Cool. Another fat-bashing thread full of suppositions and stereotypes. Just what we need on a forum that is supposed to help people, not belittle them.

Not clever at all.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Just wanted to say none of your questions,and the subsequent answers are scientifically proven.

White rice and brown rice,for instance. There is no research that says brown rich is better than brown rich. The only difference is brown rice has more good nutrients, that's it.
The studies where white rice raised BS over brown rice are inaccurate.

The same with diet soda, no research exists that's says it worse than regular soda.
There is no research that says its harmful to drink.

In any event,it is total overrall calories plus exercise that determines if someone loses weight. Calories in equals calories out.
It isn't type of food,low carb etc.

30 minutes 3 days of week of exercise isn't enough to lose weight.
You need at least an hr five days a week.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I firmly believe that MOST (but not all) overweight individuals who want to lose weight are undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition...
If everyone had to wear their shortcomings on their frames, I suspect you'd be pushing 300 lbs.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I'd bet thin people would respond to the questions about the same way as overweight people would.

Most thin people aren't thin because they are smarter than fat people.
Most thin people aren't thin because they are more disciplined than fat people.
Thin people aren't thin because they exercise or eat brown rice and fat people aren't fat because they don't.

A thin kid is thin because he makes "wise choices" and "conscious eating decisions" and has developed "healthy eating habits"?

A fat seven year old girl is fat because she is "undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for [her] condition"?

Last edited by Charles; 11-04-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just wanted to say none of your questions,and the subsequent answers are scientifically proven.

White rice and brown rice,for instance. There is no research that says brown rich is better than brown rich. The only difference is brown rice has more good nutrients, that's it.
The studies where white rice raised BS over brown rice are inaccurate.

The same with diet soda, no research exists that's says it worse than regular soda.
There is no research that says its harmful to drink.

In any event,it is total overrall calories plus exercise that determines if someone loses weight. Calories in equals calories out.
It isn't type of food,low carb etc.

30 minutes 3 days of week of exercise isn't enough to lose weight.
You need at least an hr five days a week.
I'm fairly certain Dr. Oz would disagree with you on everything you said; clearly you're not a fan.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I really hope you're not serious and are just trolling the forum with the Dr. Oz thing. I'd hate to think you don't realize that he is a *paid entertainer.* Physician or not, he still gets paid to push whatever the latest trend in dieting is, from one week to the next. Every week he comes up with the "best diet ever" or the "latest most promising news in weight loss" or whatever other catchy phrases will boost the ratings.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Dr. Oz? Is that you?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I am not overweight but I find your "poll" offensive.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I firmly believe that MOST (but not all) overweight individuals who want to lose weight are undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition. Now when I say MOST, here's what I mean: if you were to ask 20 random overweight individuals here in the US to honestly answer the following 20 questions, I would guess that at least 12 of them will fall into the "undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition" category.

Here are the 20 questions:

Question 1: Which is healthier and keeps you full longer, brown rice or white rice?
Question 2: Which do you eat?
Question 3: Why?
Question 4: Which is healthier and keeps you full longer, 100% whole-wheat bread or white bread?
Question 5: Which do you eat?
Question 6: Why?
Question 7: Which is healthier and keeps you full longer, 100% rolled oats sweetened with a real apple and 2% milk or a packet of Quaker® instant oatmeal?

Question 8: Which do you eat? If neither, what do you usually eat for breakfast?
Question 9: Why?
Question 10: How many vegetables do you eat per day? Note: french fries, waffle fries, sweet potato fries, fried corn (it's a Southern delicacy), fried green tomatoes (another Southern delicacy), fried okra (yes... another Southern delicacy), lettuce/tomatoes on a hamburger or chicken sandwich, and green beans, collard greens, turnip greens or mustard greens seasoned with ANY type of meat do not count.

Question 11: Do you think it takes discipline, motivation and/or personal accountability to eat healthy foods that don't taste as good or have as much "flavor" as unhealthy foods?

Question 12: Do you ever drink sodas (including diet sodas), and if so, how many per week?
Question 13: How many pieces of fresh fruit do you eat per day?
Question 14: How often do you eat fast food (including pizza) per week?
Question 15: Would you describe your current diet as semi-healthy (75% healthy foods, 25% crappy foods), healthy, very healthy, unhealthy (75% crappy foods, 25% healthy foods) or very unhealthy?

Question 16: Do you think it takes discipline, motivation and/or personal accountability to exercise in the privacy of your own home for 30 minutes a day just 3 days a week? Note: a little exercise is better than no exercise at all.

Question 17: Have you ever heard of Dr. Oz and if so have you ever watched any of his shows, which air 5 days a week, Monday through Friday?

Question 18: Do you own a VCR, TiVo or any other type of video recording device that could record Dr. Oz's shows for later viewing? Note: if you can find the time to watch "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" or "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" you can find the time to watch a show about health and nutrition.

Question 19: If you have a child who is overweight, who do you think is responsible for educating your child about proper health and nutrition? Note: it's your child.

Question 20: If a person wants to lose weight and knows what they should be doing in order to lose that weight, and yet that person consciously chooses not to do any of those things on a daily basis, would you say that person is disciplined or undisciplined when it comes to weight loss? Motivated or unmotivated when it comes to weight loss?

As I said before, MOST (but not all) overweight people are undisciplined, unmotivated and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition. That's my opinion and I stand by it. Just remember, opinions are not facts; they're opinions and nothing more.

So here's my question, if 20 random overweight individuals (who want to lose weight) were to honestly answer the aforementioned 20 questions (most of which relate to the typical American diet and lifestyle), how many of them do you think would fall into the "undisciplined, unmotivated, and unwilling to accept responsibility for their condition" category? I say at least 12.
Who died and left you in charge of enlightening people that are heavy???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss