Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
People complain about no "to go" food? Really...check out fruit. It comes in its own wrapper from nature.
There are also tuna and chicken packets with seasonings you can toss over any bland salad to dress it up.
Slimfast- also see that everywhere. That + fruit + nut mix = lunch.
Its amazing how filling healthy meals could be when you mix different healthy foods. We just need to be more creative & unconventional with it. My favorite is mixing different typed of boiled beans with salads. Also, I love eating roasted peanuts followed by 2 bananas. Thats a complete meal. Stop relying on readymade meals & try to mix & match, as you suggested.

There needs to be education (especially in schools) on how you can pick healthy foods on the go with very little choice, like the gas stations. Most of the articles I find say go for the pretzel in vending machine or diet soda or low fat ice cream. Those are not healthy options. Over the years people have to come up with their own tricks. Healthy meals do need some work but once you get started you will realize there are so many healthy options compared to junk foods. They dont have to be expensive either. A packet of beans or lentils costs around a $1 at kroger. Use it instead of meat for salads. Boiling a packet of beans is enough for mixing in salads for the entire week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
I noticed the shocking number of fat/obese nurses when I visited my cousin's wife in the hospital a year ago. I was stunned Some of these women looked like they could pass for a bariatric patient. How can they possibly work efficiently in that environment when they are that fat?

Maybe hospitals should install gyms for the nurses to work off all that stress. I know it's not easy being a nurse.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Being an angel's (cough.nurse's) advocate, do you think they want to go pound it out in a gym after working a highly stressful 12 hour shift? There is much to consider before throwing them under the bus. They may have family at home who they are also caring for which doesn't afford them much time to hit a gym. What are the ages of these nurses? A 25 year old may be able to manage "your" lifestyle requirements but someone pushing 40+ has to also grapple with peri-menopause and other middle-aged health conditions.

As far as food, healthier choices should be made but that is not the complete picture. I know when I was working 12's we barely had time to eat and whatever we ate surely was burned off. Chances are stress is high and that is why the weight is creeping up. I've seen people on graveyard shift physically change due to lack of sleep. On top of that, there is the patient care, charting requirements, certification requirements, etc. Healthcare people have a lot on their plates just to keep their jobs.

I could see if only nurses were gaining weight but the whole U.S. population is gaining weight. Not saying they should be fat but cut them some slack.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Being an angel's (cough.nurse's) advocate, do you think they want to go pound it out in a gym after working a highly stressful 12 hour shift? There is much to consider before throwing them under the bus. They may have family at home who they are also caring for which doesn't afford them much time to hit a gym. What are the ages of these nurses? A 25 year old may be able to manage "your" lifestyle requirements but someone pushing 40+ has to also grapple with peri-menopause and other middle-aged health conditions.

As far as food, healthier choices should be made but that is not the complete picture. I know when I was working 12's we barely had time to eat and whatever we ate surely was burned off. Chances are stress is high and that is why the weight is creeping up. I've seen people on graveyard shift physically change due to lack of sleep. On top of that, there is the patient care, charting requirements, certification requirements, etc. Healthcare people have a lot on their plates just to keep their jobs.

I could see if only nurses were gaining weight but the whole U.S. population is gaining weight. Not saying they should be fat but cut them some slack.

No. They just need to cut some calories. You do not have to workout to not be obese. You just shouldn't overeat on a consistent basis. If nurses are intelligent enough to do pharmacology geared algebra, they can do simple math. With their income they can afford a smart phone to implement the use of free online dietary programs. Chart yourself as you do your rounds. It only takes a minute.

Part of a healthy lifestyle is balancing work and self care. Why don't these people cut their poor body some slack. They are already taxing it with work and poor eating habits.

People making losing weight a much bigger deal than it really is.
If you have a job where you are walking around all day and lifting patients that is your activity.
It may not be a comprised "workout" but it gets your heartbeat up and challenges your muscles.
You just have to match your intake for that.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
How is using stress as an excuse for overeating any different that using stress as an excuse to smoke?

Why should one be given a pass and the other fired over it?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 AM

191 posts, read 242,408 times
This reminds me of when my little sister went to the doctor and the nurse told her that she needed to lose weight because she could develop diabetes,but the nurse was bigger than her!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Whoa,thanks for slamming us nurses!
Really,does it make you all feel better?

As an Rn who has worked the floor,let me just say when you are on the floor,you don't not have time to stop and eat any food. I have stood on my feet for 7 hours straight. You don't even get time to use the bathroom. So eating an apple here and there DOESN'T work.
Running around on the floor makes one very hungry. I guess because we are burning lots of calories running the halls.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Whoa,thanks for slamming us nurses!
Really,does it make you all feel better?

As an Rn who has worked the floor,let me just say when you are on the floor,you don't not have time to stop and eat any food. I have stood on my feet for 7 hours straight. You don't even get time to use the bathroom. So eating an apple here and there DOESN'T work.
Running around on the floor makes one very hungry. I guess because we are burning lots of calories running the halls.
Ok then what is going on? Because air doesn't make people fat. And if one was burning so many cals...also the results would be a smaller body. I know it makes you hungry but that doesn't mean you should just eat mindlessly. Nurse or not.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Ok then what is going on? Because air doesn't make people fat. And if one was burning so many cals...also the results would be a smaller body. I know it makes you hungry but that doesn't mean you should just eat mindlessly. Nurse or not.
True,but I when I'm doing med pass I grab something quick,usually out of the vending machine and eat fast because I need the energy.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How is using stress as an excuse for overeating any different that using stress as an excuse to smoke?

Why should one be given a pass and the other fired over it?

It shouldn't be. And if a nurse or CNA can't do their job at 100% because of their weight, they need to be fired.

I personally see heavy and obese nurses (small percent, but they are there) in my hospital everyday. They can't bend over to tie their shoes...how are they going to help and eldery person off the floor?? How are they going to reach across that bed in a code? How are they going to race to a code?? Oh, that's right..they will wait for the elevator because God forbid they take the stairs ONE floor. See it every damn day. It's gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss