Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times

Advertisements

For losing weight, I don’t eat at buffets. But from 2009 to summer 2012 I ate a few buffets for special events, like a family celebration. But they were lunch buffets. So if I’m in a mode of just maintaining my weight, I will eat breakfast or lunch buffets. Usually if I eat a lunch buffet I would eat a light breakfast, then I’d eat a heavy buffet lunch, then I’d skip dinner or eat a little snack to break hunger – and the next day – I don’t gain weight!

Last I remember my brother treated me to a Golden Corral breakfast [9:30 am], then I window shopped 3 malls to get a lot of walking exercise, then skipped lunch. Maybe I ate something light for dinner, and then the next day I didn’t gain weight!

This weekend I’m looking forward to a Golden Corral breakfast again, as I will meet someone from Craigslist to buy their $20 for two U Locks deal. I recently lost weight going from 163.6 lbs to 152.2 lbs today, so I really don’t want to gain back weight. It’s a weight risk but I will test myself if I can eat a buffet even though I recently lost weight. Ideally I want to be 145 lbs but I hit a weight loss plateau at 151.6 lbs – my weight would go back up to 152.6 lbs the next few days after the workout.

So for you who maintain their weight, do you ever pig out at buffets? How do you manage to not gain weight? Or do you then owe yourself a workout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM

41,941 posts, read 75,144,160 times
"Eating" at buffets and "pigging out" at buffets are two different things.

Just because there's a lot of food in front of you doesn't mean you have to eat it all.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Buffet food is disgusting. It actually might be easier to not overeat at those places. Bulk food, overcooked, salty, tasteless.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
I follow a rule when I do find myself at a buffet. Rather than load up on plate after plate of 2-3 items, take a TINY amount of each item you want to try ( I basically do like a bite-sized portion.) Ohiogir81 is correct that just because there's a ton of food doesn't mean you have to eat it all. I treat it like any other meal. There's tons more options though, but just keep each portion small.

Not all buffet food is gross, I have eaten at a couple really nice ones. I do tend to avoid them for the most part. Bad buffets are really BAD.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Do I -ever- eat at buffets? Yes, when I'm in Vegas and get comped for a meal at one. Oh and when I'm on a cruise ship, I might hit the breakfast buffet once or twice during the 10-day trip.

Other than that? Buffet-style wedding receptions, and that's pretty much it.

I can't eat enough to justify the "all you can eat" pricing. Even at the Indian restaurant, when they have the all you can eat buffet at supper time, I order off the menu instead. That way I only have to eat half my meal, which is VERY filling, and take the other half home for leftovers. You can't do that at the buffet, so it's not very cost-efficient for me.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I can't eat enough to justify the "all you can eat" pricing. Even at the Indian restaurant, when they have the all you can eat buffet at supper time, I order off the menu instead. That way I only have to eat half my meal, which is VERY filling, and take the other half home for leftovers. You can't do that at the buffet, so it's not very cost-efficient for me.
Yep, me too - I order off the menu. I also am another one that doesn't trust the freshness or ingredients in buffets....since I have celiac disease, I have to be careful of hidden ingredients with gluten (like soy sauce, thickeners, etc.)...also the hidden fat/chemicals etc. in restaurant food...we eat out less and less - definitely hard when we travel.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Do I -ever- eat at buffets? Yes, when I'm in Vegas and get comped for a meal at one. Oh and when I'm on a cruise ship, I might hit the breakfast buffet once or twice during the 10-day trip.

Other than that? Buffet-style wedding receptions, and that's pretty much it.

Same here. Many years ago, DH and I would eat at buffets, and we were substantially heavier. But now we eat small meals and not only do most buffets have poor-quality, overly-salted food, but like you, we don't eat enough to justify the pricing, so unless it's a wedding or holiday buffet, we order off the menu (or just eat at home)

I do think people have to be REALLY disciplined to eat very lightly at buffets. For most who are watching their weight, I really don't recommend it.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
So for you who maintain their weight, do you ever pig out at buffets? How do you manage to not gain weight? Or do you then owe yourself a workout?
Everyone's body & metabolism is different. What works for me at a buffet is heading to the salad bar. I do get some protein with my salads like boiled egg or a grilled salmon or cottage cheese & I have fruit for dessert. For a lot of people binging on a buffet & exercising later might work but it never did for me so I stick to the healthy foods wherever I go. I have come to enjoy salads so much that I dont even crave the carbs or sugars anymore. I dont even feel I am depriving myslef by skipping on pies, soft rolls, steaks at the buffet. I admire people who can eat anything they want & still maintain their weight but I have come to realize that I cant.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have not eaten at a buffet in like 6 years and while loosing weight I would never eat at one. I think some buffets are gross, high fat, salt and not healthy.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:38 AM

155 posts, read 347,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Eating" at buffets and "pigging out" at buffets are two different things.

Just because there's a lot of food in front of you doesn't mean you have to eat it all.
Reminds me of a local buffet which is sandwiched between a Toys R Us and a Kid R Us. We called it Pigs R Us.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss