Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times

Advertisements

Thanks - it saves me a lot of time, work, and money.
The down side is that everyone else eats as a social event so i have to pay attention to scheduling.
But I am not strictly observant of my regimen, so i have much lattitude to make exceptions for lunch or dinner dates.
The flexibility of this style of eating is not 'tense' and mild/infrequent deviations seem to have no impact on my weight, health, or attitude.
I have stated before on this forum that I believe dieting is an eating disorder, especially for the truly obese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM

43 posts, read 119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Thanks - it saves me a lot of time, work, and money.
The down side is that everyone else eats as a social event so i have to pay attention to scheduling.
But I am not strictly observant of my regimen, so i have much lattitude to make exceptions for lunch or dinner dates.
The flexibility of this style of eating is not 'tense' and mild/infrequent deviations seem to have no impact on my weight, health, or attitude.
I have stated before on this forum that I believe dieting is an eating disorder, especially for the truly obese.
If you have a schedule that changes all the time, moving to 1 meal a day might be helpful. I don't count my hours, I just keep myself eating only one meal a day (saving that meal to be with friends if they're going out).

Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM

One meal a day may very well work for some people, and if i have a really difficult scheduling week - which fortunately has not happenned yet - i think having one meal for a few consecutive days might be a very good temporary compromise.
Actually, i do something like that on what i refer to as "shift days" where i need to alter a food day for a social purpose, so i eat minimally - but sufficiently - for two days in a row. This happens infrequently as I have lots of lattitude in food dates with friends. Except around major holidays like Thanksgiving, Passover-Easter, and most demanding of all, Christmas-New Years.
But I managed 2012 pretty well and the beginning of the new year is easy-peasy by comparison.
For me, the 3-4 day weekly fast method works well, as I do enjoy eating - when I am HUNGRY. But i'm not hungry to the same extent every day.
How long have you been feeding on one meal a day, and do you follow this regimen for weight control, health, or simplicity?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM

43 posts, read 119,845 times
I've been doing it for almost a year now. It's largely for all the reasons you listed. I started for weight control because I have an extremely low BMR and I only get satiated from a meal if I eat ~500 calories. Additionally, I have noticed that eating more meals tend to make me hungrier throughout the day. So it just made sense. My cholesterol and blood pressure has been stellar since I got on it too, although correlation =/= causation so take that as you will. I used to do standard Leangains before I moved to 1 meal a day. Anyways, it's not for everyone, but it's an option.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

872 posts, read 1,384,687 times
Just an update to my first post here.

I'm now several weeks into my IF regimen. I'm now at my ideal body weight and have had to fall back from alternate day fasting to 5:2 or 6:1 fasting to maintain my weight in this range.

Feeling great overall but fasting days are still tough. I still insist on close to zero calories on fast days for maximum effect.

Just two VERY interesting things I've noticed:

1. I now have little or no urge to drink alcohol. I'm not sure what this means but I did read elsewhere that fasting harmonises your brain dopamine chemistry, which is disordered in chemical addictions.

2. My hair is growing back at the temples. Not that I was really balding - I've had a stable mature hairline for close to 10 years, but I've noted new growth at the margins that is developing into the juvenile hairline I had in my mid teens.

Interesting.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 15,245 times
I'm a woman in my 60s and have been a fan of fasting from my late teens, so I was thrilled to read it may extend the lifespan along with its other benefits, such as allowing the digestive system periodic rest, flushing impurities from the body, and shrinking the stomach naturally to aid with portion control on eating days.

I have fasted as long as 7 days (nothing but water and black, no-sweetener coffee) at a time with no problems, continuing to work, socialize and exercise as usual. I do sleep and rest a little more when fasting more than a day. I find fasting 2 days or longer boosts my energy and gives me emotional/spiritual serenity. I love good food and wine and am a great cook. I also tend to have a low metabolism, so fasting helps me rein in my weight when it starts to get out of control. I currently fast every Monday and Friday and eat nutritious high-protein, moderate carb and fat meals as desired the rest of the time, generally 1,200-1,800 calories a day. I exercise -- fast walking with weight lifting to start soon -- at least 2 hours a day. I've lost more than 20 pounds in the past 10 weeks this way and plan to continue the 2 fast days a week indefinitely, adding calories when I lose the final 10 pounds to reach my ideal weight.

BUT I know many people who feel ill if they go more than 8 hours without eating. Fasting is simply not for them. Everyone must find the regimen and routine that works best for him or her.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM

20yrsinBranson and Blueberry Pancake.
The posts in this thread are very diverse and may interest you....

Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I just don't think I can do this. Do you get past the point of feeling hungry and absolutely awful? I eat breakfast everyday, and by 12 o'clock I need to eat or I feel sick and faint. I can't imagine...

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM

123 posts, read 245,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I just don't think I can do this. Do you get past the point of feeling hungry and absolutely awful? I eat breakfast everyday, and by 12 o'clock I need to eat or I feel sick and faint. I can't imagine...
Eating protein early in the day will stave off hunger as does green tea. When you fast, you do not get hungrier and hungrier. Instead, the hunger comes and goes in waves. It gets easier the more you do it. If you start to feel "awful" try drinking some water or green tea and sitting with that feeling for a while, rather than heading toward the kitchen pantry.

I do want to give credit to Dr. Michael Mosley for popularizing the 5:2 (alternate fasting) diet with his BBC Horizon program, "Eat, Fast and Live Longer," which aired in the UK in early August. His book, "The Fast Diet" is now available in the U.S. Dr. Mosley dropped 20 pounds on the diet to his current weight of 167.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM

I find the ADF method best.
You must exeriment with it to find what works for you.
If 5:2 works, then do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss