Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times

Advertisements

"most fashion is aspirational" is an interesting comment. I don't want to be a size 2. It will never happen. I pass by clothes on small mannequins because I know I will not look like that. How do you feel?

Fat Mannequin Stirs Reddit Debate About Obesity, Overweight Consumers and Marketing - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
"most fashion is aspirational" is an interesting comment. I don't want to be a size 2. It will never happen. I pass by clothes on small mannequins because I know I will not look like that. How do you feel?

Fat Mannequin Stirs Reddit Debate About Obesity, Overweight Consumers and Marketing - ABC News

I hate all mannequins and it doesn't make business sense to take up valuable retail space with an obese mannequin. Plus they "style" the mannequin and everyone has different body shapes anyway.
Mannequins are not dressing rooms and what it looks like on a display isn't going to be what it looks like on everyone if anyone at all. Body shapes can become very unique with weight gain.
I hope they use bigger heads if they do go that direction. LOL...that one pictured looks like a beetlejuice character.

Different stores do carry different sizes mannequins. I do notice that because the things creep me out so much. I have hated them since I was little.

Honestly I think the best way to display clothing is up on a hanger. You know whats in your closet and the shapes that look good on you. Go by that and color likes to start and then try it on from there at any size.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

As a consumer, the fat mannequin is not appealing.

However, if I was the business owner and it would help sell more product, then yes, I'm for it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times
No, I would not. When I see a plus size mannequin or plus size model in an ad, I assume that store is for fat people and promptly move along.

You have to try on clothes, anyway, it's not like anybody looks at a mannequin and says "That's how I'd look in that, Ring it up!"

Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM

756 posts, read 713,861 times
From the OP's link:

Nearly 70 percent of Americans now fall into the overweight or obese category, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A national DISGRACE, in my view

What the hell is wrong with all these tubs???

All the major health issues (heart disease, diabetes, stroke, cancer, et al) associated with being overweight and inflamed ... and it's like they don't even care.

Sitting around stuffing more and more calories into their already grossly overfed bodies

The fools are literally eating themselves to major health problems and premature death...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
I think that gay male fashion designers are responsible for more girls and women becoming anorexic than at any other time in our history. This is a terribly sad thing.
Of course store mannequins chould be proportioned more truthfully.
...and Barbie should not be built like the aliens in Avatar.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
From the OP's link:

Nearly 70 percent of Americans now fall into the overweight or obese category, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A national DISGRACE, in my view

What the hell is wrong with all these tubs???

All the major health issues (heart disease, diabetes, stroke, cancer, et al) associated with being overweight and inflamed ... and it's like they don't even care.

Sitting around stuffing more and more calories into their already grossly overfed bodies

The fools are literally eating themselves to major health problems and premature death...
How very harsh and judgmental. I'm somewhat overweight. Did you ever think maybe the illness or injury came first and then the weight gain? There are many meds which cause weight gain like insulin, steroids, etc. Yes the american diet is pretty messed up. All the additives and genetically engineered foods contribute as well as poor eating habits and lack of exercise. But don't look at every overweight person you see and automatically think they are out of control couch potatoes with no discipline. Years ago on a TV show called Atlanta P.M. there was a perky little anchor who once after a segment on diet said "Whenever I see the lbs creeping up, I just cut back my calories for a few days and things are just fine." Fast forward 20 years after she had put some age on, dealt with some personal crises, went through some major illnesses with her husband and she was obese and hardly recognizable. Karma is a b.i.t.c.h.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I think there is a fine line between promoting a healthy body and promoting that it's okay to be overweight and everyone should accomodate you for being overweight. It's not okay to be overweight. It's a health risk.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM

245 posts, read 519,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I think that gay male fashion designers are responsible for more girls and women becoming anorexic than at any other time in our history.
Puh-lease! Anorexia has been around for centuries. It's now more pronounced, and less hard to identify than it was YEARS ago.

1. It's idiotic to blame gay male fashion designers. Even if these men were straight (there are straight male designers you know) they'd still choose "stick thin" models as their ideal. WHY? Because they fit the clothes.
What about the female designers? Are they also held accountable? Since this seems to be a "lady problem", you'd think the ladies of the fashion world would WANT to represent the "average" woman. But yet again, who wants to see an average woman? I rather see the 1% personally speaking.

2. Anorexia is a DISEASE. Whether or not mannequins or models didn't represent the "average" (aka boring) woman they'd probably still get the disease. Environment, genetics, and mental health all play a part.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
Jordyloves:
Anorexia is not new to this age, but it is more prevalent than ever before in the US.
Anorexia is also not a disease. It is a condition brought on by over-dieting which in turn corrupts ones cognitive abilities which further amplifies the self-destructive behavior. Such a vicious cycle is very resistent to treatment but the condition need not be permanent nor fatal. It is noteworthy that anorexia nervosa is sufferred almost exclusively by young females and gay males.
Why do you think that is?
I have my own opinions, born of both research and direct experience, but I will keep them to myself.

BTW, stick thin models don't "fit" the clothes; they are better described as "hangers" for the clothes.
Many will not menstruate because they do not have enough body fat to support this healthy female function.
They exhibit above average masculinization and youth as designers prefer teenage girls, even if marketing to women in their 30s and beyond, altogether making high-fashion models approximate the looks of adolescent boys, which is explained by the dominance of the fashion industry by homosexual men.

Last edited by tjarado; 11-29-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss