Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 AM

2,361 posts, read 4,850,249 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know I am overweight and have just also been diagnosed with HBP. However, every diet plan I see includes fish/seafood. I became deathly ill when I was young over fresh trout and to this day (I am 60) just cannot eat seafood, especially fish. Even just the smell will cause me nausea. I have tried non-fishy seafood (crab, lobster, shrimp) and could barely choke one piece down, and gagged on the shrimp.

Anyway, what can I eat as a substitute? I take daily omega supplements and try to eat foods that are higher in omegas, but not sure that is enough. I use strictly olive oil for cooking. I use mostly boneless, skinless chicken/turkey for my protein, but admit that I must have lean beef once in awhile! Tofu is something else that I just can't eat. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc. I add no salt to my foods, instead using pepper and herbs/spices, use olive oil based margarine when I use any (which isn't much). Other than I am overweight, just not sure why I have HBP!

Any help on something that actually tastes good to substitute for seafood would be well appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 AM

50,068 posts, read 63,428,947 times
So, are you saying you are allergic, or you just have an aversion? You are missing out on some good new eating experiences if you are not open to certain foods. Sounds a bit like self sabotage, and a lack of will to really change.

Anyway, good for you, and I bet your blood pressure will correct itself after you lose weight.

I suggest you try bison, which is available in many grocery stores now. It is very low in fat, and very delicious.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Yes, I know I am overweight and have just also been diagnosed with HBP. However, every diet plan I see includes fish/seafood. I became deathly ill when I was young over fresh trout and to this day (I am 60) just cannot eat seafood, especially fish. Even just the smell will cause me nausea. I have tried non-fishy seafood (crab, lobster, shrimp) and could barely choke one piece down, and gagged on the shrimp.

Anyway, what can I eat as a substitute? I take daily omega supplements and try to eat foods that are higher in omegas, but not sure that is enough. I use strictly olive oil for cooking. I use mostly boneless, skinless chicken/turkey for my protein, but admit that I must have lean beef once in awhile! Tofu is something else that I just can't eat. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc. I add no salt to my foods, instead using pepper and herbs/spices, use olive oil based margarine when I use any (which isn't much). Other than I am overweight, just not sure why I have HBP!

Any help on something that actually tastes good to substitute for seafood would be well appreciated!
Yes, most diet plans will include seafood as menu choices. But those are choices. Any other form of protein is another choice. Turkey and chicken are perfectly fine alternative choices and in fact, chicken has much more protein than fish anyway.

Eat fewer fruits. Not none, not hardly any. Just fewer than "lots." Eat fewer grains, whole or otherwise. Don't eat any margarine at all. If you need to spread something on something else, use real actual butter, in small quantities. Otherwise, use oil, also in small quantities.

Don't eat anything that's been deep fried, or breaded. You could easily go vegetarian, and get both your weight and your blood pressure down. Or a modified meatless diet, which would include dairy (in moderation) and eggs.

But there's no reason why you can't eat the things you're eating now, and still lose weight, and lower your blood pressure. It's -how- you're eating it, -how much- of it you're eating - grilled or raw vs. fried or breaded, on a sandwich vs. on a bed of mixed salad greens, slathered in partially hydrogenated vegetable fat (margarine) vs. smeared with a teaspoon of butter, etc. etc. etc.

Are you eating a whole chicken breast and a cup of rice pilaf with a two slices of margarine-covered whole wheat bread, all drenched in gravy? Or are you eating half a chicken breast with sauteed mushrooms sprinkled with fresh lemon juice and dill, 1/3 cup of brown rice mixed with 1/2 cup steamed broccoli tops seasoned with a little chicken broth and a smidge of garlic, and a heel of an italian loaf to dip in a tablespoon of garlic-infused olive oil?

Both of those are: chicken, starch, vegetables, oil. One will send your bloodpressure and weight up. The other will contribute to bringing both down. Both can be delicious but frankly, the lower-calorie, lighter fare, will be more filling.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,678,147 times
Quote:

SparkPeople: SparkDiet

When you make an acct there they have a section where you check off what you want in the pre made meal plans. Do not check off fish or soy. Then it will generate a meal plan for you. If you see something on the meal plan you don't like just click it. A window will pop up and give you a list of alternatives.

I love those options on that site. It also has an option to print out a grocery list for the week. Talk about easy!

HP could be from a lot of things:

Causes of High Blood Pressure: Weight, Diet, Age, and More

Fix the weight issue and watch your health. Once that factor is removed you can explore other reasons why it may be going on. They may not find a reason too as written about in the article I posted above.

Good Luck with your diet change. Definitely check out that site.
Even if you don't log its nice for meal suggestions and grocery lists.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,828,090 times
I dont like eating sea food too often. As a substitue I use flax seeds. They are bland in taste & you can add it to anything. Flax seed oil also works great but its expensive compared to the seeds.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:

There is no substitute for fish outside of fish oil supplements I think but I don't look into any of that because I don't do fish and don't care what nutrients it provides. That being said, if you have the iBooks app or Kindle you can go to Cornerstones4Care

and download "Carb Counting and Meal Planning". It is a booklet geared toward diabetes however, it is a good solid nutrition guideline that you can use to improve your overall health, weight and well being. I use it for my husband and carry it with me all the time.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no substitute for fish outside of fish oil supplements I think but I don't look into any of that because I don't do fish and don't care what nutrients it provides. That being said, if you have the iBooks app or Kindle you can go to Cornerstones4Care

and download "Carb Counting and Meal Planning". It is a booklet geared toward diabetes however, it is a good solid nutrition guideline that you can use to improve your overall health, weight and well being. I use it for my husband and carry it with me all the time.

Nuts can be a sub for the oils.

Omega 6 and 3 in nuts, oils, meat and fish. Tools to get it right. | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition

Nice little chart if you scroll down. It shows nuts, meats and oils that have the omega's listed in quantity.

There are a lot of different meats, nuts and seeds too. Its a pretty good list.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Nuts can be a sub for the oils.

Omega 6 and 3 in nuts, oils, meat and fish. Tools to get it right. | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition

Nice little chart if you scroll down. It shows nuts, meats and oils that have the omega's listed in quantity.

There are a lot of different meats, nuts and seeds too. Its a pretty good list.

Thank you for posting this information I do appreciate your thoughtfulness however, the booklet together with the 3 inch thick book I use for my Husband's diet works very well for us and I will stick to that until I have a need to change things if that need ever arises.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Thank you for posting this information I do appreciate your thoughtfulness however, the booklet together with the 3 inch thick book I use for my Husband's diet works very well for us and I will stick to that until I have a need to change things if that need ever arises.
you are welcome. Nice they have a little carry around book with that.

The newer smart phones are easier to read. (larger and more clear) if you ever use cells and want to upgrade its another nice "to go" thing to have with ebooks and for looking up info.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,850,249 times
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm sure I will find something to help me here.

Opsimathia -- that site sounds very interesting and I am going to check it out.

And luckily I do love nuts, I just have to be careful to not eat too many as that can be bad as well. I try to include as many whole grains and seeds as much as possible. But I'm sure there are other things that I can try to add. And I will just keep taking my omega suuplements.

gentlearts - No I am not allergic, but becoming nauseous when one even smells fish is a real turnoff. I assure you that I am NOT lazy and am willing to make changes. But I am not going to force myself to eat something that makes me sick. That is why I asked for ideas. I'm not sure why when someone admits they are overweight, people immediately label them as lazy and unwilling to make the changes necessary. I can assure you that I DON'T sit around and eat candy, donuts, cookies, ice cream, cake, etc. etc. etc. all day long. I am sure that there are some foods that are good for you that you don't like and are unwilling to eat.

There are days when I wish I could just quit eating completely. It would just be so much easier. But alas that is just not possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss