U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,811,211 times

Advertisements

Junk Food: Where, When, and How often do you purchase or consume it?

A lot of junk food talk in the threads made me think of my old kitchen stock vs. today.

Is your kitchen stock any different when your weight is? Or just during loss phases?

My oldest kitchen was a lot of takeout, carb and sugar. I was just eating too much of everything all the time and probably bought or ate junk almost everyday.
My weight was class1 obese borderline.

Then I went through perfect kitchen phases that would make a dietician cry with joy. Zero Junk.
Got too skinny and started eating less clean. I had a hard time fitting in enough food to keep up with my activity level.

Current kitchen is a mix but I buy junk less often and watch my portions. I usually only have something sweet like cookies etc bought about once a month.
Have stayed on the low end of healthy BMI wise. (not that it means anything other than showing the change in my body size. We all know BMI is just an estimate)

The one thing I am not too happy about is the s.o.'s craving for processed food.
I mean...its nice that he only craves hamburger helper when sick but dear god that stuff is gross.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,260,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Junk Food: Where, When, and How often do you purchase or consume it?
I dont purchase junk food with my regular groceries. I indulge in processed sugars only when I am celebrating something special like b'day or a milestone or festival. Thats only few times a year. I haven't been to a fast food chain in years, except subway for their salads. My favorite junk foods are carry-out pizza (papa johns), ice cream (hersheys), cup cakes, dark chocolate. I eat them on special occassions as a treat.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,965,053 times
...at home later at night, usually while reading. Easy to get because one of those drug stores that sells a lot of other stuff is in walking distance, as is a Shell mini-mart.

So I just walk across the street for a small bag of chex mix or munchos. Or chocoloate or "yogurt" (har-har) convered pretzels.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,595,182 times
I don't keep junk food in the pantry as a matter of course, either; junk food is strictly an impulse buy, and when I get the impulse, I look for single servings. I'd like to kiss whoever came up with the idea for half-cup ice cream cartons; I can't buy even a pint because I don't trust myself not to polish it off in one sitting.

How often? Maybe a couple times a month.

When? Usually in the evenings. I should just go to bed at 8 p.m.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Ice cream just about every night.

Other than that, practically nothing. Bring leftovers to work from home. Weekends I might drive through Carl's Jr for a plain $1 hamburger with extra onions (is that junk food?).

Once in a while a cookie at work if someone brings them in.

In our pantry are gold fish and some pretzels. There might be some leftover halloween candy in one of the kids' drawers.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,324,253 times
I don't buy junk food. Sometimes I will buy a small bag of individually portioned dark chocolate. I never let myself eat more than one a day.

My coworker just went and bought a bag of cheetos and my mouth is watering though. At least if I cave I'll just buy a small bag though and it'll be a one time thing versus buying the large bag and sitting around with it on the couch.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM

17,470 posts, read 20,815,960 times
The only junk food I keep in the house regularly is pretzels. I do not buy junk foods like snack cakes, chips, donuts ect.... too much of a temptation for me since I am on WW.I buy snack for hubby once a week and he will tell which one. Usually it's crunch cheese doodles or chex snack mix. I try and make low fat desserts so I can still enjoy sweets without all the fat and calories. I made a lowfat cheesecake over the weekend. I grew up in a house where there was alot of different junk foods because my brother never had a weight problem he could eat anything and my dad was overweight but had to have his entenmanns cakes, twinkies, chips ect...of course I ate that stuff as a kid but today I struggle with weight. No one's fault but my own.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,178,148 times
I indulge in junk food every day. And I have many bags of candies like Kit Kat, Almond Joy, Heath, Rond Noir, etc. Plus I eat potato chips and etc to munch on lightly. I mostly manage to stay the same weight the next day, but mistakes in eating cause me to gain weight. Then I'd need to do a weight control or weight loss workout.

And I enjoy fast food somewhat. Like I ate a McDonalds medium egg nog shake with a Big Mac [- 1 bun] and I didn't gain weight.

Last edited by Jesse69; 12-03-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times
Love potato chips and Sunshine Cheez-its...
and candy... and popcorn... etcetcetc

Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
I love things that are salty and crisp .......the closest thing I eat to that nowadays is microwaved corn tortillas (1) and a little salsa. Other than that I eat no junk food and I keep no junk in the house. I just gave away the brie and ice cream from when the kids were here at Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss