Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,207 times

Advertisements

I appreciate very much the replies to my post on being hungry all the time.

I would like to ask those of you who had chronic obesity and are no longer obese and have kept it that way:

To you, those of you who have succeeded keeping a lot of weight off (I need to lose 60 lbs):

Have you had to totally change your lifestyle? In what ways? What was most important to do, or not do?

Is everyone quite different or are we all to do the same things?

Huge thanks to all who reply!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times
I lost 45lbs and kept it off for nearly three years. The biggest differences in my lifestyle are exercising most days, moderating what I eat-I no longer have total pig out days where I just eat whatever I want all day long, I might do that for one meal occasionally but not a whole day, and an overall awareness of my health. I weigh myself most days and I keep track of what I eat most days. I'm conscious of how I feel, I feel so much better that if I drink that extra glass of wine or eat a Big Mac I really feel like crap afterwards. I think when I was overweight I didn't realize how much better I could feel every day.

The most important thing is paying attention every day, even if I'm not perfect I'm aware and thinking about it every day.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I appreciate very much the replies to my post on being hungry all the time.

I would like to ask those of you who had chronic obesity and are no longer obese and have kept it that way:

To you, those of you who have succeeded keeping a lot of weight off (I need to lose 60 lbs):

Have you had to totally change your lifestyle? In what ways? What was most important to do, or not do?

Huge thanks to all who reply!

Consider the VSG. It works. Biggest negative: It costs $40K.

Do you have PPO insurance?
Is your BMI over 40 OR is your BMI over 35 AND you have one premorbidity such as diagnosed sleep apnea or diabetes?

This is a no kidding, slam dunk solution.

Sleeve gastrectomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: an innovative new tool in the battle against the obesity epidemic in Canada

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) - Also known as Sleeve Gastrectomy, Vertical Gastrectomy

Amazing VSG Transformation (Gastric Sleeve) - YouTube

Weight Loss Surgery Testimonial / Gastric Sleeve (VSG) Before and After - YouTube

Gastric Sleeve/VSG--6 weeks post op and 40 pounds gone!! - YouTube

Vertical Gastric Sleeve 8-week update - YouTube

1 Year Gastric Bypass Surgiversary Before & After Photos - YouTube

Last edited by Charles; 12-08-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I lost 140 pounds and have kept it off (mostly) for 12 years. I eat a (mostly) low-carb food plan, (mostly) don't drink my calories, and work out six days a week. It wasn't a complete lifestyle change, because I'd always worked out, but for me it's mostly about food, and I had to turn my eating habits upside down.

If you're always hungry, try eating more protein. 100 calories of tuna or chicken are going to keep you satisfied a lot longer than 100 calories of bread or pasta.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,407 times
Short answer is yes. If you want to make large changes to your life you have to take massive action. But every action starts with the first step

Old 12-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I lost 45lbs and kept it off for nearly three years. The biggest differences in my lifestyle are exercising most days, moderating what I eat-I no longer have total pig out days where I just eat whatever I want all day long, I might do that for one meal occasionally but not a whole day, and an overall awareness of my health. I weigh myself most days and I keep track of what I eat most days. I'm conscious of how I feel, I feel so much better that if I drink that extra glass of wine or eat a Big Mac I really feel like crap afterwards. I think when I was overweight I didn't realize how much better I could feel every day.

The most important thing is paying attention every day, even if I'm not perfect I'm aware and thinking about it every day.

You sound so balanced in your approach and thinking! I like it. Thank you!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I lost 140 pounds and have kept it off (mostly) for 12 years. I eat a (mostly) low-carb food plan, (mostly) don't drink my calories, and work out six days a week. It wasn't a complete lifestyle change, because I'd always worked out, but for me it's mostly about food, and I had to turn my eating habits upside down.

If you're always hungry, try eating more protein. 100 calories of tuna or chicken are going to keep you satisfied a lot longer than 100 calories of bread or pasta.

You know, I am going to increase my protein intake! So many people have talked about it. I am a big fish lover and fortunately eat red meat only once every, say, 4 months, and only chicken otherwise. But I can increase on the fish. Thank you!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

Yes I had to change my eating habits completely. I used to eat junk food (mc donalds, taco bell, sandwiches, ice cream, rice, chocolate, pizza) couple of times a week, especially when I didnt have time to cook or pack a meal from home. My veggie & fruit intake was minimum. I ate whatever was available without planning any meals in advance. For a while I switched to the "organic"/lowfat/low-sugar versions of junk foods but that didn't help at all.

Now I have cut out all the carbs (rice, bread, pasta) & processed sugars from my diet. Most of my meals are homemade salads, fruits, grilled chicken & fish added to salads for protein, soups, dry fruits. I stopped buying junk food completely so that I dont give into temptation. Instead I keep healthy foods like fruits, nuts within my reach. I am full for a longer time after a healthy meal. I try not to buy anything canned, boxed or bottled anymore. I do indulge in junk food maybe once a month where I eat whatever I want for one meal but slowly I am losing craving for that too. I have switched to organic foods which cost more but the quality of foods is so much better. I am exercising a lot less than I used to before I made the switch, but I can still see results. I do slip from my diet once in a while during holidays or a stressful weekend, but on weekdays I am back on track.

Quote:
Ofcourse we are all different. So find what works for you by trying different weight loss techniques. Depends a lot on your lifestyle & something you can keep up with for rest of your life. If you have a lot of time to exercise regularly, you could probably cheat on your diet & work it off. I could not keep up with regular exercise so I switched to strict dieting. If you can do both the results would be exponential.

All the best.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

But don't you get tired of thinking about it. Don't you just want to feel free. I have been on a healthy eating plan and diets since I was 5. I am tired of thinking about it all the time, how much I weight, planning every meal. It can get tiring.

Btw, I physical do not feel any better when I at my nornal weight or 20-25lbs overweight. Now with my health problems, I started losing weight and got insomnia. Which now I feel more fatigue and worse now since going on a weight loss plan.
This use to not happen to me before my health issues, but either way it is not like I am going to on a shopping spree or anything. I am just going to be the same person on the inside but 25lbs thinner.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I have lost 55 pounds with 20 more to go. I have been battleing my weight since I am 12. I did make some changes to my lifestyle. I try and control my portion sizes, I try and be more active even if I am not doing any sort of formal exercise, I don't eat sweets that much anymore, I try and stock my pantry and fridge with healthier items and I don't fry much anymore except for chicken cutlets once a month. I am now trying to cut out diet soda, so far 3 days in and I am ok with it. I drink water or seltzer now. If I don't buy diet soda than it's less of a tempatation for me. 3-4 cans a day I was drinking. I keep very little junk food in the house except for pretzels and maybe some lowfat ice cream. I stopped having toast, bagels, or any type of rolls or muffins for breakfast. I now have a yogurt parfait. I take dannon light or yoplait light yogurt, add 1/3 cup of honey bunches of oats with almonds cereal and a sliced banana and that's what I eat every morning for breakfast with my cup of coffee. I eat one portion of dinner and I don't go back for seconds. I do allow myself a treat now and then. I really don't deprive myself of much and I stopped eating fast food 2 years ago.I still eat pizza but I have 2 slices instead of 3 and sometimes I only eat one slice and save the other for the lunch the next day. I cut out chinese food because of the salt. I do eat some take out food but my choices are better. If I get greek food I get a salad with gyro meat on top or I get a pita melt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss