Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Ok,se we all know folks who exercise and lift weights look younger than those who don't.

Now I have to ask,which is the best diet that seems to slow the aging process,in your opinion?

The 2 that I have heard of are the raw vegan diet(those folks look 20 to 30 younger than their actual ages) and the low carb diet. The theory behind that is. Sugar speeds up the aging process,as evidenced by the new studies that show constant high blood sugar makes the heart become inflammed leading to heart disease.
Then of course the study with the mice that ate less calories and lived longer than the ones who didn't.....but I guess that one is connected to the raw vegan diet,since I really doubt those folks go over their caloric limit. I'm pretty sure they stay camped in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Here's a pretty good article that addresses a good way of eating to slow aging:

Foods for Your Anti-Aging Diet

Sounds like a Mediterranean diet....

Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
The healthy one that works with your body and inclinations that you enjoy sticking to.

I think everyone has slightly different nutritional needs for that extra level of help due to genetics or past eating habits. When how you are eating makes you feel good and you can see a difference in your skin, you are on the right foods for you.

Although I think there are general rules that apply to everyone:
- Avoid: processed food, drinking, smoking, too much sugar (25g max for women), too much fat, not enough fat, wrongs kinds of fat.

Side note: Atkins induction is high fat BUT you are only suppose to be on that for two weeks.
Two weeks of "extremes" is accepted by most doctors. IF the dieter stays on induction longer than two weeks they have to clear it with a doctor. Just adding that as the media twists low carb stories to fit the article if needed and shows that the writer did not actually read the entire book if at all.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM

12 posts, read 15,740 times
have fruits and lots of exercise thats all stop having oily food

Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM

12 posts, read 15,740 times
and keep smiling and do things what you did in your childhood

Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here's a pretty good article that addresses a good way of eating to slow aging:

Foods for Your Anti-Aging Diet

Sounds like a Mediterranean diet....
Each of us reacts differently to diets.

When I lived in Italy and adopted a 'Mediterranean diet' was when my cholesterol went up. My employer had me seeing a nutritionist every month to gain control of my cholesterol, and she said that among Americans about 10% of us have bodies that react in this manner.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I don't know about entire diets, but some foods are known for their rejuvenating effects, for instance pomegranates, ginger root, garlic, onions, tomato pulp. Some say, spicy food is also good, I use lots of piripiri and curry Except for my partly silver hair, I do look younger than I am, maybe thanks to my vegetarian diet over the past quarter of a century, who knows... And I sleep a lot and avoid stress, working only as much as necessary rather than as much as possible.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 16,760 times
I think intermittent fasting is the easiest way (for me) to get the life-extending benefits of modified caloric restriction.
It gets easier as you get used to it and it is pretty flexible. I fast 3-4 days a week (500 clories or less) and found that my eating started to mimic the paleo type regimen, with a few exceptions.. like I will eat bread with my ham and eggs for breakfast on feast days. Normally I will alternate fast with feast but during the holidays I must make adjustments for social reasons and so I utilize what I call "transition" or "shift" days which are two days in a row of something between fast and feast followed by a normal "feast" day (which has never turned into excess even tho that would be technically acceptable). On a "shift day" I do not go hungry but I also won't eat bread, processed food, or drink anything but coffee or water or real juice drinks. A fast day entails very little eating and I WILL feel hunger for about three hours, after which time I am good until the next day at noon. I often excersize moderately for one hour in the morning on my feast days after which i eat a good lunch which will keep me well-satisfied until dinner. I like this eating style and have lost a very noticeable amount of weight even though that was not my purpose in starting IM. I feel and look pretty good for a chick who is no spring chicken!

P.S. I am not sure if life extension equals anti-aging, but i'll take it.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 AM

525 posts, read 761,250 times
I would say a diet that is extremely rich in antioxidants and EPA and DHA . You need some exercise and keep stress low. How you look at various advanced ages is largely genes.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Perhaps we can find some answers here....

Long life & 7 essential diet habits on the Island of Okinawa, Japan
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/long-life-...d-5931214.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss