Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times

Advertisements

I am so happy this is over. I did not gain weight but it sucks. I really am happy this is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
I don't even try to eat right in December anymore. I have neighbors who bring goodies, plus I love to make my own candy and cookies too. So I just eat everything I want in December, and on the 26th get back to eating right.

I was too scared to step on the scale but by the way my clothes fit I assume I gained 10 lb or so. Been eating right again for almost a week and my clothes are getting a little more comfortable. Plan to weigh tomorrow so I'll know how hard I have to try to get into my summer clothes by May.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Yes, I've gained weight. I want it gone by the spring so I better start crackin'...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
It's 3500 excess calories per pound. You have to pig out a lot in a very short time period to gain more than a couple pounds from some holiday meals, the rest that you see on the scale is water weight (which always packs on when you eat in a way that's out of character for you) that'll drop off quickly enough. People stress too much about these things, it's not healthy psychologically and will make you resent your efforts to lose weight.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I don't even try to eat right in December anymore. I have neighbors who bring goodies, plus I love to make my own candy and cookies too. So I just eat everything I want in December, and on the 26th get back to eating right.
I have a rule about holiday treats: If the goodie in question is not specific to Christmas and is available any other time of year, I don't eat it during the holidays, either. This includes red and green M&Ms and red and green wrapped Hershey's kisses, chocolate chip cookies, etc.

But Christmas-specific cookies, pumpkin pie, date nut bread and the like -- which family and friends make only at Christmas -- are OK in moderation. I don't stuff myself like I used to, not even close, but I do enjoy the treats.

And come January 2, whatever's still in the house is taken to work and left on the cafeteria tables for the vultures. Tomorrow they're going to get a bunch of cookies and a half of a pumpkin pie, because I'm done with the stuff.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
You are not alone. I gave myself a holiday pass to eat some goodies. I had some vacation time & didn't feel like hitting the gym so I strolled the malls for exercise on the pretext of seeing christmas decor. It might have helped keeping the weight even but I am scared to check it anyways.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I am glad it's over too and I actually lost 1.6 this past Sunday, but I had gained 3 lbs the week before. All the candies, cookies and junk were either thrown out or given away.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
For me........from mid October when they start pushing the cheap Halloween candy...........to the fricken end of December.

There is just so much cheap and delicious food floating around during that time of year.......please, make it STOP!!!

Don't really care for sweet drinks, milkshakes, ice-cream, pie, juices, sodas...just not my thing. But sweets that have a heavy/bulky texture......cake, candy, doughnuts............OH NO!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
^
yeah, for me its more the "pastries" (as in cookies, cake & pie, etc) vs things like candy or ice cream (exception being chocolate bars like that Lindt black currant chocolate or those Merci chocolates imported from Germany)....more of the 'winter comfort food' concept I guess.

...I dont do the juice/soda thing either. I make my own using soda water and squeezed fresh fruit and sometimes this guava juice I get at the Indian market. But thats a summer drink.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
yeah, for me its more the "pastries" (as in cookies, cake & pie, etc) vs things like candy or ice cream (exception being chocolate bars like that Lindt black currant chocolate or those Merci chocolates imported from Germany)....more of the 'winter comfort food' concept I guess.

...I dont do the juice/soda thing either. I make my own using soda water and squeezed fresh fruit and sometimes this guava juice I get at the Indian market. But thats a summer drink.

Never cared much for soda or juices. BUT.....rich chocolate............YIKERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss