Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,097 times

Advertisements

To give everyone an update, I'm doing extremely well what what I'm doing now. I've been able to lower my expenses by a couple books and most everything I buy now is either whole or frozen(vegetables). I've started eating 3-4 smaller meals a day so I'm less hungry. I have been feeling a lot more energized and can get more peaceful sleep at night; don't know if that's related to altering my diet slightly. I've been seeing some steady muscle gain from eating more proteins after exercising which is good since. After about 10-15 more pounds I should no longer be underweight.

Breakfast is still the most underwhelming meal I have. Normally it's what I would skip. Now I eat it with some oatmeal, yogurt with granola, a fruit, and a 8 ounces of milk. I feel like there's something I should add to enhance it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
You want to eat healthy and you eat orange juice, hot dogs, ground beef, french fries and milk on a daily basis?

None of these things are good for you.

That's right. milk is not good for you, not even skim milk. Don't buy into the dairy industry's propaganda. Look it up folks.

You need to eat more fruits/vegetables, also nuts and seeds.

You should stay away from beef, pork and anything that's fried.

Fish and poultry are good to have too.

As for the beverages. All I drink is green tea and water. Neither has calories but both have numerous health benefits.
If you recall, I made this topic to fine tune my grocery list and get some ideas since I'm on a budget. And for future reference, the next time you talk to someone who's trying to change their diet, just realize that a lot of times, their current diets can be attributed to what they might have eaten growing up.

P.S. I'll keep drinking milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm on a tight budget too but I'm trying to eat healthier. One thing I always do is make my own pasta sauce, I think it's better than pasta sauce out of a jar because you know what you're putting in it. I just made it this evening, it's extremely simple and cheap I always use it to make spaghetti marinara but you could also just use the sauce as a base and add your own ingredients. Here's the recipe for 2 people:

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (or 1 teaspoon of garlic paste)
- 1 onion (red or white)
- 40 ml of dry, white wine
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (400 ml)
- 1 small can of tomato paste (50 g)
- parsley (fresh or dried)

1. Heat the olive oil in a pan
2. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic, let it cook for about a minute
3. Add the white wine and let it cook for about 2 minutes on full heat
4. Add the cans of chopped tomatoes (don't drain!) and tomato paste, stir and let it cook until it becomes a nice, thick sauce (takes about 5-10 minutes on medium heat)
5. Season it with parsley
*if you want to make pasta marinara, add about 250 grams of seafood after step 4*
*I sometimes add paprika (doesn't matter what colour) in step 2*

Since I always have onions, garlic (paste), olive oil and a jar of dried parsley at home, this recipe is extremely cheap for me to make. It only costs me about $2 to make the sauce and it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
I think I may actually try that with wheat pasta. Could I substitute the white wine for red wine?

Last edited by Octa; 01-20-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Nothing like starting the morning with a cup of hormones, pus and other things intended for a baby cow....

Dairy is one of the worse foods in the American diet.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
To give everyone an update, I'm doing extremely well what what I'm doing now. I've been able to lower my expenses by a couple books and most everything I buy now is either whole or frozen(vegetables). I've started eating 3-4 smaller meals a day so I'm less hungry. I have been feeling a lot more energized and can get more peaceful sleep at night; don't know if that's related to altering my diet slightly. I've been seeing some steady muscle gain from eating more proteins after exercising which is good since. After about 10-15 more pounds I should no longer be underweight.

Breakfast is still the most underwhelming meal I have. Normally it's what I would skip. Now I eat it with some oatmeal, yogurt with granola, a fruit, and a 8 ounces of milk. I feel like there's something I should add to enhance it.

I think I may actually try that with wheat pasta. Could I substitute the white wine for red wine?
You could try adding a tablespoon of chopped/slivered almonds and another tablespoon of raisins to your oatmeal. Also, if you're having yogurt -and- milk in the same meal, make sure it's not triggering a lot of gassy stomach during the day. Dairy is notorious for that. Low fat won't solve the problem either - it's the lactose, not the fat, that causes it. Not everyone reacts that way with dairy, but just keep it in mind if you notice it. If you do react that way, just cut the milk out and continue to enjoy the yogurt, and drink water that meal instead.

Don't use red wine in that recipe. It'll make it taste off. Either use white, or just skip the wine entirely (if you're on a budget, then your wallet will thank you for that).

Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Nothing like starting the morning with a cup of hormones, pus and other things intended for a baby cow....

Dairy is one of the worse foods in the American diet.
Then drink organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You could try adding a tablespoon of chopped/slivered almonds and another tablespoon of raisins to your oatmeal. Also, if you're having yogurt -and- milk in the same meal, make sure it's not triggering a lot of gassy stomach during the day. Dairy is notorious for that. Low fat won't solve the problem either - it's the lactose, not the fat, that causes it. Not everyone reacts that way with dairy, but just keep it in mind if you notice it. If you do react that way, just cut the milk out and continue to enjoy the yogurt, and drink water that meal instead.

Don't use red wine in that recipe. It'll make it taste off. Either use white, or just skip the wine entirely (if you're on a budget, then your wallet will thank you for that).
I'll try that. Raisins should be fairly inexpensive compared to almonds which were at around $4 for a couple handfuls when I checked yesterday. And I've never had any issues digesting milk, not even gas, but I'll keep that in mind.

Alright. What should the sauce taste like when it's done correctly and how long should it last in the fridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss