Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,195 times

Advertisements

Diet soda tied to heart attack, stroke risks: study | Reuters

Interesting article. Too bad so many will read this and either ignore it, or trick/fool themselves into thinking it isnt important by saying "oh, if you look hard enough, you'll find studies that say everything causes this" or "oh I drink diet coke, and they dont have the bad stuff that causes heart attack or stroke......" or something like that.

Ive been saying it for YEARS AND YEARS to all of my overweight friends who refuse to give up their diet coke/pepsi. Hopefully, this article will help convince them to abandon their potentially harmful "crack" type drink of choice.

Just avoid soda altogether. Really, I find it absolutely fascinating how so many overweight people (women usually) who insist that they MUST have their diet coke/pepsi/whatever. Its to the point where they drink 2-3 per day, when really, if they MUST drink soday, should drink no more than 12oz (one can) per WEEK!!

Last edited by Capablanca; 01-06-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
It is not just overweight people who drink diet soda.....I have several thin friends who are addicted to it. It is a falacy to think that everyone who drinks diet soda is overweight.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
It is not just overweight people who drink diet soda....
True. But they tend to be the ones who "abuse" it the most. By "abuse" I mean they drink 2-3 or more per day. They are extremely defensive over their soda. Plus, those who I know who are "thin" who drink it are no where near as passionate about it as the overweight folks I know.

But lets not get caught up in thin vs. fat debate here. Point is DIET SODA is NOT GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Here we go again

Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
This study really doesn't tell you too much, they didn't screen off that many variables. They did condition on a few variables, weight, blood pressure, etc....but by no means all. It doesn't even seem like caffeine intake was controlled for....

Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
So are lots of other products, I don't understand the obsessive attacks on diet soda and the people who drink it. Just worry about your own health, stop telling others what to eat or drink.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
So are lots of other products, I don't understand the obsessive attacks on diet soda and the people who drink it. Just worry about your own health, stop telling others what to eat or drink.
i agree

Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
The overall health of your nation effects everyone, furthermore healthy people are forced (via taxes, insurance premiums, etc) to subsidize the lifestyle choices of those that consume unhealthy foods. That is, there are very good reasons to be concerned with how others in your country are eating.....

Regardless, the health of effects of diet soda (or artificial sweaters in general) is an interesting nutritional question.....often these artificial products end up far more harmful than originally believed.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Just worry about your own health, stop telling others what to eat or drink.

LOL. Well, I cant because people pay me to tell them what to eat and drink. Its why I am here on CD, to help educate people on the impotance of taking care of their health. This article should open a few people's eyes on this stuff.

Cutting out soda of all kinds is the VERY FIRST THING (of many things) I tell people to do when they need to lose weight and/or improve their health. Usually, the VERY FIRST THING many of them say is "What about my diet coke? Oh you know I love my diet coke, can I still drink it?" Its horrible stuff but for some reason, people in dire need of losing weight dont want to give it up. Hopefully this study will persuade them to do the right thing for their health.

Oh, and another thing about your "stop telling others what to eat or drink" comment - this is a discussion board!! People come here to discuss issues, seek advice and to learn. Telling people to "stop telling others......." kinda defeats the purpose of this board of which you joined and are an active participant. Health, wellness, diet, etc. are extremely impotant to people, especially those who's lives could be at risk, and worse yet, if they have children who will suffer if their parent, due to unhealthy eating habits, die. I think its important to share information and provide advice about what is best and to inform what is bad so people can make better decisions about their health and the health of their families. Hope this provides not only some clarity for you on the subject, but also helps you to see things from a positive veiwpoint and not negative. We are all here to help and to learn. Try not to attack those who are providing useful info.

Last edited by Capablanca; 01-06-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
User_id..
Ya wanna know why our health care costs, and, by extension, our insurance rates, are so high?
It's not diet coke.. or any food for that matter. It is primarily the extremely high cost of caring for the very old and the very young, i.e. premature and sick babies under a year old. These groups demand, and receive, highly intense, highly technical, and labor-intensive services (sometimes for years) resulting in a great burden on our resources. The employed adult population bears a hugely disproportionate cost of these services, whether they drink diet soda or not.
But not to worry.
Those that make it to old age will have their revenge!

Last edited by tjarado; 01-06-2013 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss