Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone have a strength training regimen that they recommend for people who are new to strength training? It would be one that focuses on use of machines vs. free weights. The more details (numbers of sets, reps, etc.), the better. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,736 times
I would suggest starting with the following books:

"Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe - EXCELLENT book if you want to increase your strength.

"The New HIT Training" by Ellington Darden - Another EXCELLENT book that gives you a full program of what to eat, when to eat, how to workout, what exercises to workout, etc. Great for increasing strength. Talks about cutting (decreasing body fat %) and talks about increasing muscle mass. You can do both or just one or the other. The cutting program and diet is OUTSTANDING. You can increase strength and shed fat at the same time and he's taken all the guesswork out of it. Just follow the program exactly and you'll see results.

You diet/nutrition intake will determine if you get stronger, reduce fat, or increase muscle size.

Since you are new to strength training, either of these books would be great for you. I HIGHLY recommend both of the books above for beginners.

Last edited by Capablanca; 01-11-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
If you belong to a gym hire a trainer to set you up with some moves to get you started.
Books are a good idea too. Form while lifting is your number one priority so you may need someone to give you hands on advice.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
If you're at a gym, ask a trainer to help you. Most gyms will give you a free introductory session with the machines. Take your time and ask lots of questions.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you belong to a gym hire a trainer to set you up with some moves to get you started.
Books are a good idea too. Form while lifting is your number one priority so you may need someone to give you hands on advice.
There isn't nearly as much need to focus on form when using machines, as there is when using freeweights. The OP has specified he intends to work with machines.

If you're using machines in a gym, the gym probably has a circuit already set up. Usually it's between 10-20 different machines, in 2-3 lines. You start at one, and work your way through in any order, or in a logical (or even numeric) sequence.

There are a few different methods - there's the heavy weight/few reps, 1 circuit. There's the moderate weight/moderate reps, 1-2 circuits. And there's the light weight/many reps, 2-4 circuits.

I do the one in the middle. I set the machine to a weight that offers some - but not a lot - of resistance when I do my first reps - and feels harder and harder to do with each rep til it's a real strain to do the 12th. And then I push it to 15 total, and move to the next machine. If I'm not adding cardio to the day's workout, I'll run the entire circuit a second time, OR I might do the whole circuit, but double up on a body area that I might have missed the last time around. Usually though, I include cardio, by alternating 1 machine, then 30 seconds on the elliptical at level 4 as fast as I can, then the next machine, then elliptical again, etc. etc. It's a half-hour workout that burns just around as many calories as if you did the treadmill for an hour, but gives you the muscle work of the circuit training.

The light weight/lots of reps method isn't really very efficient at all, but it'll get your heart rate up, which will benefit your cardio workout, if not your muscular system.

The heavy/few method isn't really done on machines as much as it's done with free weights, and since I don't do a lot of free-weight work, I won't comment on it.

The moderate/moderate is great for novices to strength training, or for people who aren't trying to "build" muscle so much as they are trying to shift from "unfit" to "fit." If you're already fit, the heavy/few would probably be more productive but again I can't really offer a knowledgeable opinion on it because it's not what I do, and it wouldn't work for me (I have atrophy and scar tissue and skeletal/spinal problems and so I will never be able to do "heavy" lifting.)

Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Form still matters a lot on the machines. I see people doing really stupid stuff on the machines. And you can really injure yourself on those. The biggest mistake is that people use too much weight and then struggle, sacrificing form and just asking for an injury. Or they just do not understand the mechanics of the machine and go about it wrong. Bad posture, lifting too fast, using momentum instead of muscle...believe me there are a bunch of different ways to make mistakes. I see it all the time.
Also its important to know which muscle groups to work first. You do not want to fatigue the smaller muscles first because again, injury is right around the corner.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Look for some of the "New Rules of Lifting" books by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
Starting Strength

Starting Strength
Starting Strength Wiki

If you're very old or injured, machines are fine. Otherwise, you should be using free weights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss