Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,591,648 times

Advertisements

I've been on a low-carb diet for almost two weeks. For the past week I've experienced a localized headache that comes and goes, and ibuprofen doesn't do much for it. Otherwise I feel better than I've felt in years. Does ketosis cause headaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM

17,144 posts, read 16,297,413 times
I've never gotten headaches from eating lower carb. But your diet is much more strict than any I've been on.

You mentioned in another thread that you have stopped drinking coffee. Could it be a caffeine withdrawal headache? How's your BP?

I suppose low blood sugar might be an issue...you might want to mention the headaches to your doctor.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've never gotten headaches from eating lower carb. But your diet is much more strict than any I've been on.

You mentioned in another thread that you have stopped drinking coffee. Could it be a caffeine withdrawal headache? How's your BP?

I suppose low blood sugar might be an issue...you might want to mention the headaches to your doctor.
I'm allowed coffee, but no sugar or sweetener and only a little bit of milk. So I'm drinking coffee right now. I've had to reduce my coffee intake from five or six cups per day to just one or two, for other reasons, but I adjusted to that a couple of years ago.

BP is great.

I'll definitely ask the doctor about headaches later this week.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM

17,144 posts, read 16,297,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I'm allowed coffee, but no sugar or sweetener and only a little bit of milk. So I'm drinking coffee right now. I've had to reduce my coffee intake from five or six cups per day to just one or two, for other reasons, but I adjusted to that a couple of years ago.

BP is great.

I'll definitely ask the doctor about headaches later this week.
Going from 5 or 6 cups a coffee down to only 1 or 2 might be enough to cause withdrawal headaches.

Be sure you are drinking enough water, being dehydrated can also cause headaches. Good news about your BP.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Be sure you are drinking enough water, being dehydrated can also cause headaches. Good news about your BP.
Good point about hydration, especially with all the water-weight loss recently. I should pay more attention to that. Can't wait to get off those BP meds ...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM

890 posts, read 2,272,548 times
Being in ketosis can result in what I like to call a 'brain fog' for the first several weeks. When I tried it I felt very disconnected and had an extremely hard time concentrating when reading. Are you talking about something like this, or a traditional headache? The brain fog is very common and can last for up to a month, but will eventually go away. Also, you need a lot more salt on a VLC diet. Try upping your sodium intake.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,190,879 times
Big YES. Otherwise known as Induction Flue. It goes away. Combination of caffeine withdrawal, sugar withdrawal, and maybe being dehydrated so keep drinking but get your salt. Good luck

Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Being in ketosis can result in what I like to call a 'brain fog' for the first several weeks. When I tried it I felt very disconnected and had an extremely hard time concentrating when reading. Are you talking about something like this, or a traditional headache? The brain fog is very common and can last for up to a month, but will eventually go away. Also, you need a lot more salt on a VLC diet. Try upping your sodium intake.
I've had the opposite of brain fog: increased alertness! What I'm experiencing are actual headaches but not the familiar stress headache.

I'll check into the sodium issue. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Big YES. Otherwise known as Induction Flue. It goes away. Combination of caffeine withdrawal, sugar withdrawal, and maybe being dehydrated so keep drinking but get your salt. Good luck
No caffeine withdrawal since my coffee regimen hasn't changed for a couple of years and isn't changing with this diet. But the SUGAR, oh the sugar, now you may be on to something. Thanks for the comment.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,686,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I've been on a low-carb diet for almost two weeks. For the past week I've experienced a localized headache that comes and goes, and ibuprofen doesn't do much for it. Otherwise I feel better than I've felt in years. Does ketosis cause headaches?
Yes.

Ketosis Symptoms

A very good read on it. Symptoms, length of duration and tips to help it go away.

I upped my carbs a bit whenever that hit. I was doing atkins though and wasn't on a special diet given by a doctor. It did help and I still lost. I forget the exact amount of increase, but if your symptoms don't go away, maybe ask the doctor about if that is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss