Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

What event or realization was the trigger for you wanting to lose weight to the point of actually sticking to the diet, exercise plan, etc.?

I've known for at least a year that I needed to lose weight, but I kept procrastinating doing anything that would lead to any substantial weight loss. I was really good at thinking about losing weight! When I couldn't sleep at night, I'd picture myself walking around the track at the park nearby. And that was as far as it went! I was mostly maintaining my weight, but it still more than I was comfortable carrying around.

Finally, one night last month I went out with friends, and even my fat jeans weren't quite fat enough; I had "fat spillage" over the top! I wore a short jacket that night to cover it up, but that was my moment of, "No more of this BS!"

I'm also tired of the same few clothes I can fit into, and I refuse to buy new ones in a larger size. I yearn for the days when I can fit into jeans that are a size or two smaller than what I'm wearing now. (This wasn't really a trigger, though, as much as needing to wear the jacket. I don't think about new clothes when I'm standing in front of the refrigerator!)

So that's my story. What's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
For me, it was the realization that I would (most likely) develop diabetes if I didn't do something to stop it. I wasn't happy about being "fat", i wasn't used to being fat and I didn't accept being fat but I think that it was the threat to my health that really shook me up and made me dig in and commit. That is what got me outside walking in 15 degree weather or during the pouring rain, every day, no excuses.

It's been a struggle because the weight does not come off magically anymore. I have to do more, work harder now to lose 1 pound than I used to have to do to lose 10. And I can regain it pretty fast (way too fast) if I'm not careful.

On the positive side, I can put muscle on my body fairly easily. I don't have any real aches and pains, no real physical restrictions (aside from the excess weight) which is a blessing. And I've learned what it's going to take diet wise to get results. If I slack off a bit, start to gain weight and feel my blood sugar start to get a little wacky, I know what to do to get back on track.

Best of all, I do not have diabetes. In fact, my readings are pretty much well within the normal range, not prediabetic, but normal - yay!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
When I saw the pictures at my brother's wedding in May 2010 and I said " holy Moderator cut: language removed !" I look like my Aunt Fran and I look like an old lady. I joined WW in February 2011. I was not in the right mind set to join in 2010 so I waited. I am down almost 53 lbs with 25 more to go.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-07-2013 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I got tired of being mad at myself. I got tired of looking in the mirror and being depressed. I got tired of being tired. And I got tired of all the excuses I was telling myself.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Since I was a kid through my early 40's, I was in great shape. In my 20s and 30s, hubby and I were gym rats and were highly fit. Marathons, bodybuilding, etc. I noticed that I could pack on a few pounds in my late 30s but it was quite easy to come off. Being in the Army for so many years also aided us in a fitness lifestyle. It was almost expected to hit the gym everyday and if my workout took an hour and a half, it was just part of the job. When I retired, we adopted two wonderful kids. With kids--boy it took a big toll on my workouts and desire to exercise. See that yummy kid snack...no worries...you have to fight mom off. The huge bag of Halloween candy? Mom would be in there rummaging around picking out my favorite goodies. Yummm!!! 10 Butterfingers down the hatch!! Goes good with a glass of red wine. I have a terrible sweet tooth. When it was just my husband and me, we never bought junky stuff. We are still good with the kids but they tend to bring home goodie bags, birthday parties, halloween bags, etc. So many temptations.

Now in my 50's, I see myself in photos and I look tired and just bloated. A few summers ago, I saw a photo of myself and my backside---it wasn't a pretty sight to see. I took a Christmas photo and I just look terrible. My husband has packed on about 30 pounds and also looks bloated, tired and old. Both of us made a New Year's resolution to join Weight Watchers but I also got a new iPad and found MyFitnessPal (an app) and we decided to hit this full stride. So far, hubby is down 11 pounds and I'm down about 6. We've both decided that this is going to be a way of life for us. I'm tired of my tight fitting clothes and feeling bad about myself.

I'm still pretty good about going to the gym, even with my weight problems over the years. I like the feeling of a good workout and actually enjoy exercising. Now it is about watching what I put in my mouth and to plan out my eating for the day. For me, MyFitnessPal is like flossing my teeth--I'm making it a habit and sticking to it. My goal is to lose 15 more pounds and I will be happy. My husband has 19 or so to go. He is also motivated since he will hopefully be starting up some job interviews as we try to make our move out of state. He wants to look good.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Getting diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

However what triggered that was my mom ending up in the hospital with diabetes complications. I remembered I was warned by my doctor that I could easily slip into it. Sure enough I got a check up after my mom was back home and bam I had it. That was in December.

Right now I'm on the verge of reversing it through diet and exercise. My latest labs have me within normal limits. I was taken off medication. My weight hasn't changed in about a week, but that's ok. I'm down 19 lbs with about 12 to go for my first goal. I'll wait until I get there and see if I need to lose more or not.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
1. Seeing last year's vacation pictures and wondering who the fat girl was (it was me).
2. Wearing the same elastized skirts and pants because they were the only thing I could fit into.
3. Having the doctor tell after last year's physical that I was pre-diabetic.
4. Do I need to go on?

I've lost 55 lbs and I feel great...I have had to buy a completely new wardrobe including shoes and that has been difficult - as in difficult to know when to stop buying because clothes look good on me for the first time in years. I gave all my old clothes and shoes away....did I tell you I feel great? :-)

Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Rep points to all of you! Thanks for sharing. My health is another issue; I haven't had my glucose level tested in a long time, so I don't even know where that falls now. For all I know, I could also be pre-diabetic!

Everyone who posted sounds so happy about the changes; it's very encouraging! I have my good days and bad days. Sometimes I feel great about choosing to do this, and at other times I get grumpy and annoyed. "I don't want to exercise today! Wah!" That type of thing. (Yes, there's a whiny brat who lives inside me!) I'm pushing past that, though. I figure if I can lose ten pounds and really feel the difference, that will be all the motivation I need to continue in a better frame of mind.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
My story was that my weight loss was unintentional, and came as part of a big lifestyle change that wasnt driven by dietary issues.

To make a long story short, it was after I lost a lot of weight I realized I could keep on losing to reach the weight...or really waist size.... i had back in my late teens or twenties, and that a lot of this had to do with dietary changes, changes in eating patterns, exercise, and living on a budget.

I also was getting interested in local foods/slow food/urban ag, and also read Dr Kesslers book "The End of Overeating", which was an eye-opener.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
My last doctors appointment. I had gaine 20 pounds from the previous visit. Feeling like crap and taking a diminished view of myself, and potentally not doing the things I enjoyed were all factors.

It was for me, for my health, and the desire to have better more active lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss