Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times

Advertisements

Top 11 Biggest Lies of Mainstream Nutrition

This should rile up the low fat, calorie is a calorie crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
The biggest misinfomation of all is the USDA's Food Pyramid that's taught in high schools across the nation.

If you think about it how does it make any sense for the Food Pyramid to promote eating more meat, grains, and wheat over fruits and vegetables? This is why celiac disease is rising.

Also, milk consumption needs to be reconsidered because many people- without even realizing it- are lactose intolerant.

Here's a test- if you feel bloated or gassy after drinking milk then you might be lactose intolerant and should cut back on the milk. Besides, mass-produced milk is full of hormones that have been pumped into the cows. That poison goes right from the cow's milk and straight into you. This is why children are hitting puberty earlier than ever. This should alarm everybody.

The USDA is heavily lobbied by Big Food industries (Sugar, Salt, Meat, Milk, etc.) who pay them a lot of money to have the Pyramid promote eating more of their unhealthy food.

The USDA is NOT working for the betterment of U.S. children's health. There is no children's health lobby.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
The hormones "pumped into cows" are the SAME HORMONES THAT THEY PRODUCE NATURALLY. If the farmer didn't inject the cow with rBGH, the cow would STILL be producing BGH, and it would STILL end up in your milk. The end result, in the carton, has an amount of hormone presence in the same "PPM" (parts per million) range as it is supposed to have, whether from an injection or natural, and in fact there exists NO WAY TO MEASURE which of those PPMs is natural or synthetic, because they are chemically identical.

It isn't poison, and in fact, PEOPLE produce this substance as well. The only difference is, the BGH is *bovine* growth hormone, and HGH is *human* growth hormone. Just like pigs have a growth hormone, and ducks have a growth hormone, and cats have a growth hormone. All animals that grow, have a growth hormone. None of these hormones are poison. They are a necessary function of their anatomy and you will find trace amounts of it in ALL animal products you consume. If you eat meat, you are ingesting animal growth hormone.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
That website is a cleverly disguised Paleo Diet promotion.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It isn't poison, and in fact, PEOPLE produce this substance as well. The only difference is, the BGH is *bovine* growth hormone, and HGH is *human* growth hormone.
Just because the human body produces hormones doesn't mean it deals with ingested hormones well. Also, milk contains far more hormones than meat does....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
This should rile up the low fat, calorie is a calorie crowd.
I'm not riled up.....that article is just your typical rubbish.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The biggest misinfomation of all is the USDA's Food Pyramid that's taught in high schools across the nation.

If you think about it how does it make any sense for the Food Pyramid to promote eating more meat, grains, and wheat over fruits and vegetables? This is why celiac disease is rising.

Also, milk consumption needs to be reconsidered because many people- without even realizing it- are lactose intolerant.

Here's a test- if you feel bloated or gassy after drinking milk then you might be lactose intolerant and should cut back on the milk. Besides, mass-produced milk is full of hormones that have been pumped into the cows. That poison goes right from the cow's milk and straight into you. This is why children are hitting puberty earlier than ever. This should alarm everybody.

The USDA is heavily lobbied by Big Food industries (Sugar, Salt, Meat, Milk, etc.) who pay them a lot of money to have the Pyramid promote eating more of their unhealthy food.

The USDA is NOT working for the betterment of U.S. children's health. There is no children's health lobby.
The main reason for the increase in the number of people being diagnosed with Celiac has more to do with the medical community finally becoming more aware of the symptoms of Celiac. Celiac can only be detected from specific blood tests and biopsies. People have had Celiac for ages but have gone undiagnosed because they weren't given the proper tests.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,462,950 times
If you could see the way our meat is raised you'd be appalled. The stuff we get from grocery store's doesn't even taste like real meat. My parents raise beef cattle and that is where we get all our beef, can't eat the stuff at the store anymore. It doesn't taste right.

I want to try the 100 day 100 mile challenge this summer but need to research it more to be sure I can get what I need. We have a lot of Amish neighbors but they use A LOT of chemicals on their produce. I found this website last year and have been using it to find farms: Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest. These guys aren't USDA organic, they are like my folks, committed to being organic but not wanting to take the time and jump through the hoops required to be USDA organic. I've visited a couple of the farms, but don't want to commit yet. The first farm I tried I didn't like their food, I think it was the butcher they were using, cut the meat wrong.

We need to revolutionize our food system. It needs to come away from corporations and back to local mom and pop farmers.

Edited: I put in the csa for my county, its been fixed, should be able to look by your own zipcode.

Last edited by NaleyRocks; 02-19-2013 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: Wrong Site

Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,507 times
Excellent little article summing up all the research I've been doing for a while now.

If you think this is 'rubbish' you are just as brainwashed as they want you to be...do some research.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
If you think this is 'rubbish' you are just as brainwashed as they want you to be...do some research.
Who exactly are "they"? I'm looking at the science and the "11 lies" in the article are ironically lies....

Low-carbohydrate advocates, like the article in the OP, like to take advantage of the fact that our understanding of cholesterol, fats, etc has changed (matured) over the last few decades. So, for example, as our understanding of cholesterol matured its now known that dietary cholesterol isn't the red flag that it once was believed to be.....there are other factors that are just as important. But to go from this to the idea that dietary cholesterol doesn't matter, well, that is a distortion of the science...

Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That website is a cleverly disguised Paleo Diet promotion.
And paleos are some of the most obnoxious kinds. I think it's a valid approach to eating but they're so aggressive with their pseudoscience and insistence that everyone else is stupid and wrong, I want to eat a muffin just to peeve them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss