Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM

178 posts, read 355,378 times

Advertisements

How would you count lentils?? As carbohydrates or protein?? Is the carbohydrate content as much as potatoes/brown rice, in lentils? I was thinking that if I eat carbohydrates once a day. Is it ok? I would like to eat the lowest form of carbs as possible. so what you guys say??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,187 times
1 lentil, 2 lentils, 3 lentils ... How would you count them?

Lentils are high-protein pulses. They don't even figure in my book ... You can probably ignore them (unless your name is Cecil, you hang around Leicester Square and wear open-toed sandals.)

Seriously though, if you're interested in what you eat, you could do worse than buying a book called: "The Calorie King Fat and Carbohydrate Counter." ISBN 978-1-930448-53-7

It doesn't have the answers to everything (and there are a few errors) but it's got more answers to more food questions than anything I've ever come across. MY diabetic nurse recommended it to me and it's far and away the best (and simplest) thing I've ever bought to help me manage what I eat.

(I have nothing to do with the author or the publisher of the book mentioned above and I make no money or other gain from this post.)

Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpearl View Post
How would you count lentils?? As carbohydrates or protein?? Is the carbohydrate content as much as potatoes/brown rice, in lentils? I was thinking that if I eat carbohydrates once a day. Is it ok? I would like to eat the lowest form of carbs as possible. so what you guys say??
I'm not going to prescribe for you Daniel, but there are one or two simple rules.

Rule 1. If you don't eat, you don't **** - and if you don't ****, you die! (we are talking about life and death here, so there are letters like 'One' 'S' and 'T'

TO STAY ALIVE (As a young adult male) you need:

Salt
Vitamin C
Vitamins various (the 'multivite' tab we fed our patients)
35gm pure protein
50 gram Bran (cos if you don't eat that you don't poop ... and if you don't poop, you die.)

By all means cut back your carbohydrate intake - but it's not an absolute. Some carbohydrates (complex carbohydrates) are difficult to digest. Others are all too easy.

If you want to PM me (and you're welcome to do so) I can help you a bit - but if you need help with significant body mass change, you're going to need specific help.

Simple carb rule:

If you want to weigh 150 lb, never eat more than 150 gm of carbohydrates a day.

If you want to lose weight to achieve a weight of X lb, never eat more than X - 25 gm of carbohydrates a day.

It'll take time.

You've got time.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Simple carb rule:

If you want to weigh 150 lb, never eat more than 150 gm of carbohydrates a day.

If you want to lose weight to achieve a weight of X lb, never eat more than X - 25 gm of carbohydrates a day.
Carbohydrates don't make you fat......I'm rather lean and I eat 300~400 grams of carbohydrate a day.

Regardless, Lentils are a high carbohydrate food. But they also have a good deal of protein, what they largely lack is fat.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Carbohydrates don't make you fat......I'm rather lean and I eat 300~400 grams of carbohydrate a day.

Regardless, Lentils are a high carbohydrate food. But they also have a good deal of protein, what they largely lack is fat.
Carbohydrates don't make YOU fat. There are lots of people who can't eat that many and maintain their weight - I am one of those people, unfortunately. I love carbs.

As to protein/carb content of lentils, here, OP. Nutrition Data is a good site for such research, I've found.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Carbs do not make one fat. Overeating makes you fat.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Carbs do not make one fat. Overeating makes you fat.
Carbs don't make YOU fat. I can't eat more than 100g of carbohydrates a day, or I gain weight, regardless of whatever else I eat.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I love lentils but my body reacts to them like a starchy carb. So I've really got to watch them.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Carbohydrates don't make YOU fat. There are lots of people who can't eat that many and maintain their weight - I am one of those people, unfortunately. I love carbs.
Carbohydrates, in general, don't make anybody fat. Out of protein, carbohydrates and fat....carbohydrates are the least likely to be converted into body fat because the process is the least efficient (~30% energy loss).

Not all carbohydrates are equal. When people say they "love carbs", they usually mean sugars, white breads, refined pasta, muffins, etc. These are junk foods...and promote poor health. They can also promote weight gain by increasing insulin levels, but even here you're not going to gain weight unless you're over-eating. If there is no excess energy...there is nothing to store.

I eat 300~400 grams of carbohydrates, but very little of that is from refined sugar, white bread, etc. Its from whole foods, legumes, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
I love them and eat them regularly with no weight gain. I do watch my portion size though - 1/2 cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss