Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM

4,243 posts, read 7,153,171 times

Advertisements

Hah..and here we were just talking about Mac and cheese.

From a review of Pandora's Lunchbox ("Warner" is the author, Melanie Warner):

Quote:
Warner has cut a few things out of her diet completely after researching her book, though. No more Subway sandwiches, for one. "It is one of these brands that people think 'Oh, it is healthier. Or it is fresh.' But if you look at the ingredients, it's just not." No more fast food french fries either. Or boxed mac n cheese for her kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 531 times
Well, there's nothing like me coming out as a nut for one of my first posts, lol, but yes, actually, I have craved spinach and other fruits and veggies, usually kale, when I've been stuck with processed food for a few days. Not that I don't love chips and candy. Weirdo, I know.

Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
So what do you consider the cravings for junk food to be? To me, that's a withdrawal symptom... Have you ever desperately craved spinach after not eating it? I haven't.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 PM

191 posts, read 163,230 times
I crave brown rice. Is that weird?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
So what do you consider the cravings for junk food to be? To me, that's a withdrawal symptom... Have you ever desperately craved spinach after not eating it? I haven't.

In any event, I read that article last week and it is eye-opening to say the least. It makes me that much happier that I've stopped eating processed foods.
Yes, people do crave things other than junk food. I've been craving a really good steak for about a week now. I've also been craving spaghetti, even though I haven't had any for years. Also, pregnant women crave all kinds of weird things.

Cravings are mental, not physical. I don't physically crave chocolate, I don't get the shakes, or headaches, or feel ill if I don't eat it. A modicum of will power can overcome mental cravings with no ill effects. I want it...sometimes a lot, but that is totally different than a physical addiction. You can overcome addictions with enough will power (some addictions take more than others), but not without ill effect. For example, many people get caffeine withdrawal headaches if they stop drinking caffinated soda (which is why I listed that as my exception). I was addicted to over the counter painkillers at one point, and had a headache for what felt like months (but was probably only a few weeks) after I stopped taking them.

I have to assume that you have never had any kind of addiction in order to compare withdrawals and simple cravings.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 AM

260 posts, read 471,622 times
You can physically crave if you're deficient in something.

If something is 'only' psychologically addicting it's doesn't mean it's easier to get over.
There seems to be the idea that if it's not physically addictive it's not as serious but the mental/emotional aspect of addiction can be the hardest part.

Last edited by rckgrl; 03-01-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,153,171 times
^
I think a point of the article is that junk food is psychologically addicting. I mean we don't go into physical withdrawl missing Doritos or Cheetos.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss