Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

I recently watched a documentary on a guy who juiced for 60 days. All he consumed was a juice that consisted of green veggies and some fruit. The guy was quite overweight, but he also had a severe health issue that caused him to develop bad, painful rashes on his body.

Anyway, fast forwarding to day 61, he had lost somewhere around 75 pounds I think. You could tell a huge difference. All of his health issues had subsided, and when he did go back to eating "normal", he craved healthy meals (although I think he said he wasn't perfect with his diet,) and had lost more weight. I think the doc said in total, he had lost around 97 pounds within a year! There was also another guy in the documentary that had lost a total of 225 pounds doing the juice fast.

My question is, has anybody here tried this type of fasting? How did you feel after you did it? How long did you do it for? Was the purpose for weight loss, or was it just to detoxify your body, or both?

I'm really interesting in trying this for weight loss. I'm not very over weight, but I am about 25 pounds over my ideal weight, and with all the exercise and watching my calories, I haven't been able to lose a pound. (My exercise is pretty intense.) Would definitely like to look great for my 20 year high school reunion coming up later this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Thumbs up Great documentary, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I recently watched a documentary on a guy who juiced for 60 days. All he consumed was a juice that consisted of green veggies and some fruit. The guy was quite overweight, but he also had a severe health issue that caused him to develop bad, painful rashes on his body.

Anyway, fast forwarding to day 61, he had lost somewhere around 75 pounds I think. You could tell a huge difference. All of his health issues had subsided, and when he did go back to eating "normal", he craved healthy meals (although I think he said he wasn't perfect with his diet,) and had lost more weight. I think the doc said in total, he had lost around 97 pounds within a year! There was also another guy in the documentary that had lost a total of 225 pounds doing the juice fast.

My question is, has anybody here tried this type of fasting? How did you feel after you did it? How long did you do it for? Was the purpose for weight loss, or was it just to detoxify your body, or both?

I'm really interesting in trying this for weight loss. I'm not very over weight, but I am about 25 pounds over my ideal weight, and with all the exercise and watching my calories, I haven't been able to lose a pound. (My exercise is pretty intense.) Would definitely like to look great for my 20 year high school reunion coming up later this year!

Yes, I watched it, it was really well done.
I love juicing as part of a well balanced diet. What I mean, is I typically
drink about 2 to 3 glasses a day. I feel great when I do. Gives me lots of energy
for my workouts When you juice you stop craving junk, which is a huge plus

Now, regarding the video, they both were monitored by a Doctor, I think that is
important when going on something a bit drastic compared to what you are used to....
Happy Juicing

Godd luck

Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 AM

260 posts, read 473,070 times
It seems to work for some people although I did a short juice fast and felt really ill by the 2nd day, like I'd been poisoned almost.
Not sure if it was some kind of detox (didn't think I did it long enough for that) or that I had consumed too much of something eg oxalates in the greens.
I also came out in some blisters the following week but that may have been unrelated.
I have read of other people having side effects and others who are fine so maybe just try it for a short time first.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckgrl View Post
It seems to work for some people although I did a short juice fast and felt really ill by the 2nd day, like I'd been poisoned almost.
Not sure if it was some kind of detox (didn't think I did it long enough for that) or that I had consumed too much of something eg oxalates in the greens.
I also came out in some blisters the following week but that may have been unrelated.
I have read of other people having side effects and others who are fine so maybe just try it for a short time first.
You shouldn't have put poison ivy in your juice! (Just kidding)

No seriously, sorry you had a bad experience with it. How long did you juice for? From what I've read and seen, a person does tend to visit the bathroom quite often in the initial few days of a juice fast, and I can understand the sick feeling, because your body is trying to get away from its craving for junk. I would just about expect that even if one had a pretty decent diet prior to juicing, his/her body probably still considers it a big shock to the system of putting in 100% "good stuff" and 0% whatever else is left. If you had blisters on your mouth, could be that you're not used to the high concentration of acid from whatever fruit you used? I know if I eat too many oranges or raw tomatoes, I tend to get canker sores.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Yes, I watched it, it was really well done.
I love juicing as part of a well balanced diet. What I mean, is I typically
drink about 2 to 3 glasses a day. I feel great when I do. Gives me lots of energy
for my workouts When you juice you stop craving junk, which is a huge plus

Now, regarding the video, they both were monitored by a Doctor, I think that is
important when going on something a bit drastic compared to what you are used to....
Happy Juicing

Godd luck
That's kind of what I'm wanting to do. For one thing, it can get kind of pricey if you're going to do nothing but juice for several weeks. If I did any fasting at all, it might be a weekend where I'm staying in and will consume nothing but juice that whole weekend. And then after that, reintroduce solid meals slowly the following week....such as juicing for breakfast/and midday snack, eating lunch, juicing for dinner, the next day eating lunch and dinner, etc....but somehow working the juicing into my normal diet. My biggest thing is that during the day at work, I tend to get really hungry - even when I bring an apple or a banana with me as a snack, that still tends to not satisfy my hunger - so I'll give in and grab a pack of nabs or if I'm really bad, pop-tarts from the vending machine. So, I'm trying to eliminate that. I'm also wanting to eliminate my caffeine intake as well, since I know caffeine can be a huge appetite booster, at least for me. So, the natural "high" that I could get from the juicing would be great for that as well. But, ultimately, I want to lose these stubborn 25 pounds that I have NOT been able to lose since I got married in October. Both me and my wife have gotten back into an exercise routine in the past month or so, but neither has seen any significant weight loss. Actually, I have lost nothing, and even though gaining muscle could be a cause as well, my waistline has not shrank, so that tells me I haven't really lost any fat yet.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
My son and daughter-en-law did juicing for two weeks straight. My son lost 12 pounds and my daughter-en-law 7 pounds. They weren't that overweight to begin with. It really is a great way to clean out your system.

I personally don't like drinking vegetables that much. I would rather eat them raw. I did try low sugar smoothies and had great results. I would have a smoothie for breakfast and lunch and then eat a sensible dinner. I lost 8 pounds in a month, of course this was along with exercising on my elliptical for 40 minuts 5 times a week.

Good luck. I think you will like it. Get a decent juicer like Jack la Lane, not a cheap one.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,538 times
Juicing is good if you do it with veggies. Kale, broccoli, spinach, etc. Its when people start juicing fruits is where they should REALLY pay attention to how much they are taking in. I've seen people make the mistake of juicing 4 servings of fruit into one drink and ridiculously thinking they are being "healthy". Im like you are taking in WAAAAAAAY too much sugar. Why not just eat that one banana instead of throwing two into a juicer along with 5 strawberries, several bluberries, honey, etc. into a juicer and think that your being all healthy.

Juicing - GREAT for veggies

Juicing - GOOD for fruits but ONLY in moderation.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I think any extreme dietary changes ate not going to be healthy or create lasting changes.

If you do decide to juice, start with one meal a day. Using fruits and vegetables you already eat and are familiar with.

The issue I have with juice fasting is lack of electrolytes and salt. This can create cramps. And if you go three full meals of juices, you have lost the nutrition of whole fruit and vegetables. Don't forget, digestion does expend calories, as does eating. And juice needs fewer calories expended to process. There is also the potential intestinal issues as well.

And lay off the high sugar fruits...

Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 AM

34 posts, read 77,302 times
Fruit and vegetable juice are best for weight loss, as it is rich in nutrition as well as detoxifies the body. It also helps in reducing the fats in the body. I have included into my diets but i was never on only juice diet.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM

I think the only length of time I'm going to do a juice fast is a weekend. Probably not going to do it for a week, unless I'm off the entire week and I can stay away from other food.

I do agree that the whole point in juicing is to do it more with veggies. My wife bought several pieces of fruit and then spinach leaves and carrots, but I think the point with the fruit is to mask some of the "veggie" taste but not necessarily be the main ingredient.

I want to do the same exact juice that the guys in the documentary did, as it seems like whatever they put in the juice is what was needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss