Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Hi Jasper,

I came across a very interesting study about why it is so difficult for people who are overweight to lose that weight and keep it off or stick with the routine of losing weight.

Scientists know that fact cells send out signals that influences your hunger and body weight. In the study I watched they took 3 people and put them on a very strict diet, kept them in a very controlled environment and measured the fat cells signals. When the study group began depriving the fat cells due to their strict diet..the fat cells revolted and sent out stronger signals. These signals are what contribute to us losing our will and running back to old ways of eating. Or craving "comfort food" Fat cells try to keep you at the larger weight anytime you begin to deviate from that weight to a lower weight. Fat cells will send out higher levels of signals during weight loss. Fat cells like being enlarged and will revolt when forced to shrink.

Fat cells can also stimulate other immature fat cells to divide and create more fat cells thus more signals to eat eat eat!

His is a little background about fat cells and their signals. Johns Hopkins: Nutrition|Weight Control on fat cells|calories: Johns Hopkins Health Alerts

This is an active area of research now.

Why do fat cells get fat? New suspect identified

But my advice is to stay focused on your goal and let those fat cells know they are not going to win!

Shrink them until they can't send out mass signals!

I see is as fighting any type of craving from smoking or drug habit. Your body is sending out the signals and you just have to fight it until you can get ahold of the situation.

Losing weight seems to be as difficult as kicking a drug habit. But hang in there and fight those urges and one day it won't be a fight any longer...you will be in the healty mode and crave that way of life

Last edited by TVC15; 04-07-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
But my advice is to stay focused on your goal and let those fat cells know they are not going to win! [/font][/color]

Shrink them until they can't send out mass signals!

I see is as fighting any type of craving from smoking or drug habit. Your body is sending out the signals and you just have to fight it until you can get ahold of the situation.

Losing weight seems to be as difficult as kicking a drug habit. But hang in there and fight those urges and one day it won't be a fight any longer...you will be in the healty mode and crave that way of life

How long does it take until the fat cells say "I give up!"?

How long does it take until it "won't be a fight any longer"?

You can quit cocaine, you can quite smoking, you can quit drinking, but you can't quit food. Alcoholics can't moderate drinking and overeaters have a very difficult time moderating food intake.

Good cheerleading though:

[public domain photo under Creative Commons - not copyright protected]

Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How long does it take until the fat cells say "I give up!"?

How long does it take until it "won't be a fight any longer"?

You can quit cocaine, you can quite smoking, you can quit drinking, but you can't quit food. Alcoholics can't moderate drinking and overeaters have a very difficult time moderating food intake.

Good cheerleading though:

[public domain photo under Creative Commons - not copyright protected]
True you can't quit food. BUT you can quit bad food habits and you can quit over eating.

That was one of the points I might have not made very clear. Once fat cells are accustomed to being enlarged and as soon as they are deprived of this due to a person trying to lose weight their signals go into overdrive in order to maintain their larger size. It's these signals that keep most from losing the weight and keeping it off. Many can actually lose weight but then those fat cell signals kick into overdrive. Which makes you feel the craving for fatty foods, makes you feel hungry even though you just ate enough, makes you feel cranky and sluggish for comfort food. The fat cells are relentless.

I see eating unhealthy food as addictive as crack or heroine (from what I have read). It's a hard habit to kick. You can eat a lot more and stay lean if you eat heathly foods.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:

That was one of the points I might have not made very clear. Once fat cells are accustomed to being enlarged and as soon as they are deprived of this due to a person trying to lose weight their signals go into overdrive in order to maintain their larger size. It's these signals that keep most from losing the weight and keeping it off. Many can actually lose weight but then those fat cell signals kick into overdrive. Which makes you feel the craving for fatty foods, makes you feel hungry even though you just ate enough, makes you feel cranky and sluggish for comfort food. The fat cells are relentless.
So, how does someone overcome this relentless foe? How long does it take before the fat cells give up?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
So, how does someone overcome this relentless foe? How long does it take before the fat cells give up?
I don't have that answer. But I speculatethat it will be different for everyone depending on how many fat cells you have and how much determination you have. Possibly when you are at a healthy weight and can maintain it.

I have always worked out my entire life and have been able to pretty much eat what I want...but I am not attracted to unhealthy foods. Don't get me wrong as I do eat cheese, pizza, cheese enchiladas, and yummy cake, cookies or pie now and then but I work out and it does not add pounds to me. I feel much better when I eat good foods. I crave healthy foods more than unhealthy foods.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I don't have that answer.

been able to pretty much eat what I want...

it does not add pounds to me.
I guess it's better to be lucky than strong or smart.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I guess it's better to be lucky than strong or smart.
What does your statement have anything to do with what I posted? But if you must...I have all 3 traits and then some

But actually it is not better. You can be as dumb as a box of rocks and lucky enough to win the lottery...but then make unwise spending choices and have nothing left ater a year. So being lucky alone does not cut it.

Nice how you quote out of context. I can pretty much eat what I want because I work out...and have been since I was 18. But most importantly I crave healthy foods more so than unhealthy foods.

People that educate themselves on how to live a healthy lifestyle and understand good food choices will fare better than the dumb lucky fellow.

Not sure why you feel the need to post things that add zero value to the thread?

Last edited by TVC15; 04-07-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I can pretty much eat what I want because I work out...and have been since I was 18. But most importantly I crave healthy foods more so than unhealthy foods.

Genes.

Working out has practically nothing to do with why you can eat what you want. If you stopped working out, you probably wouldn't gain a pound - you'd just eat less food by desire. That's luck (or not bad luck).

"I crave healthy foods more so than unhealthy foods." Again, luck, not a decision, not something cognitive.

If everyone was the way you are, then this forum wouldn't exist.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Genes.

Working out has practically nothing to do with why you can eat what you want. If you stopped working out, you probably wouldn't gain a pound - you'd just eat less food by desire. That's luck (or not bad luck).

"I crave healthy foods more so than unhealthy foods." Again, luck, not a decision, not something cognitive.

If everyone was the way you are, then this forum wouldn't exist.
You are absolutely wrong on all accounts.

If I eat pizza and don't work out I put on a few pounds. If I eat ice-cream and not work out I can put on 5 pounds.

Also wrong about what I crave. When I was a teen I craved unhealthy food due to that was how I was raised. I became slightly overweight after high school. I joined a gym and still could not lose the weight because I had zero nutritional sense. I went to college and became a scientist and thus able to understand nutrition and food labels. I changed my eating habits. Once you wean from the fat cravings and then eat a huge fatty meal you feel awful.

Also once you wean from fatty foods you have less of a craving for them. I love how I feel after eating nutritional meal vs a fatty heavy meal.

It has nothing to do with luck.

If I did not work out I would be just thin with no muscle tone...and I would have to carefully watch what I eat. No fun in doing that!

I only know one person who can eat what they want and never works out and remains tall, skinny and untoned.

And about those genes that most really don't understand unless studied in college.

It is important to recognize that, except in very rare cases, the genes that impact body weight do not directly cause obesity. Rather, genetic makeup influences the susceptibility to weight gain when the person lives in an environment that supports eating calories in excess and/or limiting physical activity.

Last edited by TVC15; 04-08-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:

If I eat pizza and don't work out I put on a few pounds. If I eat ice-cream and not work out I can put on 5 pounds.
The reason you wouldn't put on the weight is because you'd be less hungry and eat less.

And, you are one person. You may be different than most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss