Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The reason you wouldn't put on the weight is because you'd be less hungry and eat less.

And, you are one person. You may be different than most people.
Duh...we are all different.

You need to re-read what I typed.

If I eat pizza and don't work out I put on a few pounds.

You need to stop thinking you know it all when clearly you have no clue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You need to re-read what I typed.

OK, let me re-read it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
my advice is to stay focused on your goal and let those fat cells know they are not going to win!

you just have to fight it until you can get a hold of the situation.
This sounds real scientific.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, let me re-read it:

This sounds real scientific.
It was not intended to.

But if you want to read scientific explanations as to how fat cells influence our hunger and cravings please feel free to refer back to post #31 and be sure to read the links…besides hijacking this tread adding zero value to the discussion.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Don't get down on yourself OP, we all backslide at times. Seems to me like you may be overdoing the exercise and burning yourself out. Can you go just a few days a week and call that good? There has to be more to life than just working and exercising, give yourself a break.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Yes, I was probably over doing it. Like most dieters, I am full force, then give up. Crash and burn. No, I am doing okay, but maybe expecting a bit too much.

Back to plodding along, slow change is better than none at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Deliberately blew all dieting off the last two weeks. And, GASP, bought and ate whatever food I wanted, DELIBERATE badness. Had cheese for first time in three months yesterday. Milk too. And BREAD.

Blew off going to the gym. Went to yoga one time this week. Done with two and three hours a night.

I will never be thin. So, I can be fat and a miserable failure for trying and failing. Or just embrace failure.

Wow. What a major pity party here. I would slap me.

It is just frustrating to try hard at something and fail so miserably. So, I just want to give up. Weight and focus on weight has been my life. Just really depressed about the whole thing.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
What kind of diet have you been on that you cannot have cheese, milk or bread?
Diets that eliminate food groups have the type of results you just experienced. Full on rebellion. Why not include all foods as long as they are whole, fresh and not processed?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM

467 posts, read 664,810 times
You need more education. Start reading Ray Peat. Go buy some coconut oil. You need to be secure in your mind that there is in fact a healthy way to eat and that there is a good reason to do it. Mix up your workouts and start doing a lot of walking. Quit the gym if it bugs you- it might actually be a deterrant. Do workouts at home with DVDs; buy a bunch of different ones like Pilates or Tracy Anderson mat so you won't be bored.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Jasper12, I'm sorry to hear this. However, I think you were definitely overdoing it. If you decide to start again, maybe you could restrict your calories a little more, and exercise a little less often.

My weight loss hasn't been dramatic - 15 lbs in three months. It averages out to about 1 lb per week, but there were weeks when I'd see a slight gain (nooo!) or no change at all. I know you've seen my other posts, so I'm not going to go into great detail about what I've been doing, but the truth is this:

Finding a weight loss method that works for you, and then sticking to it, is MOST of the battle.

Also, weight loss is mostly about diet changes and very little about exercise. I go walking now because it makes me feel better, and it has become a habit. Yes, there are days when I don't feel like going. I do it, anyway, because getting my lazy self out the door is the hardest part! Once I'm out, I usually walk one or two more laps than I promised myself I would.

I ate like a pig (all the wrong things!) on Wednesday and Thursday this week. I doubt I'll see much of a loss, if any, when I weigh myself next Wednesday. However, one bad week doesn't mean I have to completely quit. It would be nice if my weight loss chart was constantly going down. It's not. The general trend is downward, of course, but there are a few upticks.

I've been very impressed with how hard you've been working at this; you've been an inspiration! You don't have to give up completely; you can modify what you were doing a little so that it's more manageable and reasonable. I do hope you'll reconsider; this doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Deliberately blew all dieting off the last two weeks. And, GASP, bought and ate whatever food I wanted, DELIBERATE badness. Had cheese for first time in three months yesterday. Milk too. And BREAD.

Blew off going to the gym. Went to yoga one time this week. Done with two and three hours a night.

I will never be thin. So, I can be fat and a miserable failure for trying and failing. Or just embrace failure.

Wow. What a major pity party here. I would slap me.

It is just frustrating to try hard at something and fail so miserably. So, I just want to give up. Weight and focus on weight has been my life. Just really depressed about the whole thing.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
You need more education. Start reading Ray Peat. Go buy some coconut oil. You need to be secure in your mind that there is in fact a healthy way to eat and that there is a good reason to do it. Mix up your workouts and start doing a lot of walking. Quit the gym if it bugs you- it might actually be a deterrant. Do workouts at home with DVDs; buy a bunch of different ones like Pilates or Tracy Anderson mat so you won't be bored.
Ray Peat is just ONE OPINION on eating healthy and is not by any means the only or best way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss