Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

It was bloodwork that they did - I didn't get the details. The reason for turning him down on the policy increase was that he did not pass the physical based on his bloodwork and too much protein. Too much protein can cause kidney failure and has been tied to kidney disease and other system failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Please provide a study that proves a high protein diet causes kidney failure.

From a Livestrong article...

Quote:
Myth: Excessive Protein Intake Can Cause Kidney Damage
Fortunately, it is a myth that excess protein consumption can cause damage to your kidneys according to the Health and Psychology Department at Vanderbilt University. Vanderbilt notes that no studies have found that high protein intake in athletes has caused kidney damage. Even if your excessive protein intake causes fat gain or an upset stomach from eating too much at a single serving, your kidneys are not in jeopardy of being damaged. If you have pre-existing kidney damage, however, you should avoid a high protein diet.

Read more: High Protein Diet Myths & The Kidneys | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
No not misinformation......what I have stated is based on my own experience. High fat diets are unhealthy in the long term.
Who said anything about high fat? Again, educate yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I did Atkins for 6 months. I went through all the phases. It was VERY restrictive. I lost weight, but going out to dinner, going to parties, going to friends houses for meals or just eating was a pain in the arse.
That's not the food plan's fault. There's plenty of leeway and variety; you just have to use your imagination.
Quote:
Plus to be honest I never felt right about eating all that fat.
All what fat? Educate yourself.

Quote:
Atkin-type diets are dangerous.
That really is the most ridiculous statement on this thread.

Quote:
But never underestimate the power of telling people what they want to hear — like cheeseburgers and bacon are good for you.
More misinformation. Is it Atkins, South Beach, or ... who ... exactly, that says cheeseburgers and bacon are good for you?

If you knew what you were talking about, by the way, you'd know this statement was bogus because anyone who knows anything about the low-carb way of life knows that cheeseburgers are not exactly a staple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Also, no one has to eat red meat on the Atkin's diet. They could eat salmon, chicken, or other things instead.
Exactly. The ignorance in this thread is astounding.

Quote:
A high percentage of the increase in carbohydrate and sugar intake is from sugary drinks, but certainly not all.

Much of the rest is found in cereals, granola bars, sauces, protein bars, flavored yogurts, breads, salad dressings, and packaged foods in general. Many of these are purported to be health foods.
Good points, especially about the added sugars in "health" foods like yogurt and "natural" foods like peanut butter.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
It was bloodwork that they did - I didn't get the details. The reason for turning him down on the policy increase was that he did not pass the physical based on his bloodwork and too much protein. Too much protein can cause kidney failure and has been tied to kidney disease and other system failures.
Did he cut down on his protein intake and go back and pass the physical?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
LOL, it's EVERY post. Doesn't matter if you are talking in the third person this time, we all know you are including yourself. No spinning needed.

All sassing aside, would you care to explain why you believe there to be an agenda behind any posts that talk about a successful way of living that differs from your own? No one on these forums attacks you for choosing to eat the way you do. If it works, and you are happy with your weight and fitness more power to ya. But the rest of us seem to be constantly defending what is obviously working for us. It seems like you are the one with agenda, to eradicate any diets that are different than your own. Notice that I'm not accusing you, just pointing out how your posts come across.
Except, I -don't- eat only healthy foods. I've never implied that I did, I freely admit that I enjoy foods that have little nutritional value, and overprocessed foods, and ice cream, and baked sweets. I've freely provided that I eat pretty much whatever I want, but I eat it in moderation, and I -also- eat lots of very healthful foods, especially raw vegetables and fruits, lean meats and chicken.

Perhaps "we all know" not too much, and maybe "we all" should pay a little closer attention before attacking another poster for something they never said.

There is no defense for an unhealthy diet. The human body is built to process a variety of foods. We are not Paleolithic man; they evolved, and the originals no longer exist, and would not be capable of existing in New York City, or the Great Plains, or Florida, or the Alaskan coast, while still consuming only what Paleolithic man consumed, back during the Paleolithic era. We are also not built to be vegans - vegans have to adjust their diets to fit their physiology; veganism is not natural to the human species.

I criticize ALL diets that are advertised *exlusively* to cause weight-loss. Weight-loss should be only one factor in a journey to get healthy, and any "diet" that is advertised as a diet, and advertised -exclusively- as a "weight loss program," is not designed to help people get healthy. It's designed to make people lose weight. And as soon as they get to their goal weight and get off the diet, they will return to their unhealthy habits, and gain it all back again.

If you lost 500 pounds, awesome. If you didn't learn how to eat properly and exercise, all that effort won't do you a damned bit of good. When you're 70 years old and your body is falling apart, you'll figure that out the hard way. Or perhaps you'll deny it was all the abuse you put yourself through with gaining all that weight and then dieting it off, without learning to eat healthy.

Last edited by AnonChick; 04-01-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
So fats are bad unless it's a small amount of omega 3 and 6? We need fats to function besides just those two.
We do need other fats to function, but your body can create them. That is why they aren't essential, they can be created from other things. The only fats that can't be created by the human body are the short chain omega-3 and omega-6 and you're requirements for them are relatively low (combined around 12 grams/day). Any fats you consume beyond that aren't essential, they will mostly be used for energy or stored as body fat. Now, are fats beyond that ~12 grams bad? Not necessarily, people differ in their tolerance towards fats. It seems that most people can tolerate between 30~40 grams and amounts higher start to promote heart disease, etc.

Quote:
Remember that low fat fad in the 90's and how well that worked out for America? "Oh, low fat; it's fine for me!" Americans are fatter than ever now.
Yes I remember the fad, but it wasn't "oh, low fat, its fine for me" and the average American never consumed a low fat diet. But that was the 1990's, today's popular diets are low carbohydrate diets are people are more overweight today then they were in the 1990's. But both the low-fat and low carbohydrate diet fads are problematic....the focus should be on what one should eat not so much what one shouldn't eat. Whether you're avoiding fat or carbohydrates, there is still plenty of junk you can eat.

Quote:
Fats are the most calorically dense type of food but what is the standard american diet full of? Starchy carbs and sugar. Pasta, bread, stuffing, pizza, fries, chips, soda, cookies, etc etc.
The average American diet is around 35% fat, 15% protein and 50% carbohydrate. But that doesn't change the fact that fats are the most calorie dense macro-nutrient and as a result the easiest to over-consume Refined sugars are also easy to over-consume....especially when they are added to drinks.

Except soda, the foods you're mentioning all tend to be high fat as typically prepared. That is obvious for pizza, fries and cookies...but even with bread as well. How many people eat plain bread? Not many, instead they put some sort of fat on it (butter, etc).

The only reason dropping "starchy carbs" helps some people lose weight is because "starchy carbs" are typically prepared with large amounts of fat. If people ditched the fat, but kept the "starchy carbs" they'd do better.

Quote:
Finally, I can't make the distinction between vegetable carbs and starchy carbs clear enough. Vegetables shouldn't count as carbs like I stated above and even natural starchy carbs like tubers, legumes, rice aren't really that "bad." The biggest culprits, especially in America, really boil down to bread and pasta.
Unfortunately your distinction isn't clear..... The starches in potatoes, legumes, rice are no different than the starches found in wheat (and hence bread and pasta). Refined flour is problematic, not because its starchy, but because it lacks fiber and has been stripped of many vitamins and minerals. But you can solve that issue by eating whole grain bread and pasta.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I criticize ALL diets that are advertised *exlusively* to cause weight-loss. Weight-loss should be only one factor in a journey to get healthy, and any "diet" that is advertised as a diet, and advertised -exclusively- as a "weight loss program," is not designed to help people get healthy. It's designed to make people lose weight. And as soon as they get to their goal weight and get off the diet, they will return to their unhealthy habits, and gain it all back again.

If you lost 500 pounds, awesome. If you didn't learn how to eat properly and exercise, all that effort won't do you a damned bit of good. When you're 70 years old and your body is falling apart, you'll figure that out the hard way. Or perhaps you'll deny it was all the abuse you put yourself through with gaining all that weight and then dieting it off, without learning to eat healthy.
What makes you think I or anyone else is not learning to exercise, be healthy and keep the weight off? Or healthier and more fit than you? Because it's different than your approach?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
The point is that saturated fat is vilified to a point that the weight of the evidence does not come close to supporting. The focus should be primarily on sugar and high glycemic load carbohydrates.
You're painting a picture that doesn't exist, health organizations warn equally about saturated fat and added sugars. For example assuming a 2,000 calorie day diet the American Heart Association suggests that you keep saturated fat intakes below ~15 grams (135 calories) and added sugars to below 25 grams (100 calories). Saturated fat is not "vilified" anymore than added sugars.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Did he cut down on his protein intake and go back and pass the physical?
He did not and I have talked to him several times about it....I want to maintain our good relationship so I don't bring it up anymore.. He recently told me that he no longer eats a lot of vegetables (cutting carbs) in order to achieve better muscle definition. He looks great but his diet worries me. He is 40.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-02-2013 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss